Thread: Looking for tips on a boat cover...

Default Looking for tips on a boat cover...

My family picked up a JetCraft 2025 Discovery this year and I was looking for some tips on where to find a cover for it that will keep the snow out. We don't want to shrinkwrap it because we might try to take it to Homer and look for some kings, you all know how it is with a new toy!

Thank for your help.

Jim's upholstery in Wasilla. Great service. Love the one he made for my jetboat years ago.
    BK

Thanks for the tip BK. I will look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Jim's upholstery in Wasilla. Great service. Love the one he made for my jetboat years ago.
    BK
    Did you not mean John's Upholstery? I see John's does a lot of boat tops and covers.

He is a little pricey, but does good work.

Ok, John's upholstery....my memory is.....what we were we talking about again?!
    He's down behind the Arctic cat, Evangelos rest., (road that goes behind these businesses) in that area. Works from his house.
    BK

I use to have a Jetcraft 1825 Kokanne. I made 2 saw horses. One for the back of the boat and one that went over the windshield with one side on the bow and one between the front seats. Legs need to be shorter on the bow obviously. I just put them in place, ran a 2X6 across the top of the sawhorses screwed it doewn and used two ratchet straps over the top and secured them to the trailer. I used some pipe insulation over sharp edges that might cause abrasion as well. Then I got a tarp, threw it over, threaded a small rope through all the gromets and cinched it down, then used bungie straps to secure it as well. I used long ones and ran them under the boat from gromet to gromet where I could and used the rope as well to keep it all snug. That set up never ripped and kept the snow off as it made a pitch roof over the boat. Cost me less then 40 bucks and gave it to the person I sold the boat.

That, chico, is exactly what I planned to do...and I need to get on it sooner rather than later.......

I agree, Get R Done! Good thing is, if you get a break in weather and need to use the boat, 10 minutes and your in bussiness, then easy to put back on.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Ok, John's upholstery....my memory is.....what we were we talking about again?!
    He's down behind the Arctic cat, Evangelos rest., (road that goes behind these businesses) in that area. Works from his house.
    BK
    Yes, he is located on Southview Ave, the third left down the hill from Arctic Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I use to have a Jetcraft 1825 Kokanne. I made 2 saw horses. One for the back of the boat and one that went over the windshield with one side on the bow and one between the front seats. Legs need to be shorter on the bow obviously. I just put them in place, ran a 2X6 across the top of the sawhorses screwed it doewn and used two ratchet straps over the top and secured them to the trailer. I used some pipe insulation over sharp edges that might cause abrasion as well. Then I got a tarp, threw it over, threaded a small rope through all the gromets and cinched it down, then used bungie straps to secure it as well. I used long ones and ran them under the boat from gromet to gromet where I could and used the rope as well to keep it all snug. That set up never ripped and kept the snow off as it made a pitch roof over the boat. Cost me less then 40 bucks and gave it to the person I sold the boat.
    That's precisely what I used to do, too. The problem I had was that I lived up in Bear Valley (Anch.) and we'd get 100mph winds at times and the tarps would rip. But I learned to remedy it by just crisscrossing the whole thing with a bunch of rope to keep the tarp from flapping. Worked quite well for me!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I was trying to figure out the tarp thing myself but setting up a sturdy base was losing me. Thanks for the great explination. I will have to work through that. Still might look into John's as well and see what he would charge to make something up. I live in Palmer in wind central so its going to have to be well secured in order for it too last the winter. The springer system can be crazy.

jetboat cover.jpgjetboat cover side view.jpgThe cover John built for me was actually a "travel cover" I'll call it. It was very heavy duty, came down about 18" all the way around the boat, covered the motor too, had about 20 bungee's hanging down to secure it to the boat/trailer, reinforced at the windshield corners, rails, etc....
    I needed a custom cover built so I could keep the boat loaded with rods and gear and not worry about someone stealing my stuff while in the parking lot at Freddys or Wally World. Also kept dust and rain out especailly on the road to the lil Su.
    It worked great in the winter as well to keep snow out.
    I think I paid $1000- to have it done. He guarantees his work for life. One of the best investments I made for that boat.
    BK

Here's the tarp frame that came with my boat when I bought it from Snowwolfe. There are two pedestal bases (you can see the front one in this picture) and the 2x6 that runs between them. They're secured with a ratchet strap fore and aft...as well as several other strings of parachute cord to profide add'l support under the tarp and keep it from loading/sagging with snow. The pitch will obviously affect how well it sheds snow. Mine usually sheds on it's own, but if not, it only takes a few taps to break it loose.

271.jpg