Thread: clarification on night vision scope

Default clarification on night vision scope

So i was wondering does the term night vision scope mean a rifle scope? can one after the deadline in November use a hand held night vision monocular? And then when you locate an animal burn the animal with a spot light and shoot it?

im not sure myself. it seems they have worded it diffrently this year in the regs. i know in past year it has been legal to hunt preds at night with lights, under a trapping licence..... can anyone clarify??
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

You can still use spotlights just no nightvision of any kind. It is worded the exact same as previous years. All the changes for the new year are listed at the top ( if viewing online) or the front of the new regs

Hey BSJ, how's it going? I agree with everything said in regards to the NV and spotlights. I wonder what the legality of using FLIR is? One of these would make it tough for a critter to hide, no matter day or night.

http://tnvc.com/shop/gsci-tws-3050-t...-weapon-scope/

Hey Peter not bad I was reading about the FLIR's on predator masters aparantly they have a newer smaller handheld version that runs about 3-5k depending on the features as far as legality that would probably be pushing it a bit. I just re read the ragulations and in the definitions section there is no definition for " electronically enchanced" or " night vision scope". Perhaps some of us callers should link up and get with the ATA to draft a proposal to the AC for a change in the regs to allow it or at least to add a definition so there is no grey area or what ifs. I myself already have a night vision monocular that I take out in the winter and check things out with NO WEAPON so there is no doubt that I am not hunting and it is a completely different world with night vision and would be a useful tool for "predator management"

Brian,
    I agree with you that the the thermal and FLIR items could be pushing it with enforcement. Granted, it is electronic, however it is not per se Nightvision. It will be interesting to see how ATA would make a call on that one. I know a few guys in the states using the FLIR Scout PS24. They all say that thermal is simply another world. Critters can't hide their thermal signature, even behind the brush. I would definitely be into meeting up to put together a draft proposal to address or get clarification into the regs on this one.

Default clarification on night vision scope

I would suggest that any new regs be written in such a way to avoid spill over into game cams like moultree and similar products.