Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taxidermist Recommendations??

Default Taxidermist Recommendations??

I was able to get a goat last week off of Kodiak, story will come soon.

I am wondering about good places to get a half size mount done. Knights Taxidermy was $2820. I know their work is great and quality, but was looking to spend more in the $1,800-2,000 range. Any recommendations on a good taxi at that price? Or is that asking for too small of a price? Please feel free to respond of PM. THANKS!

Just my opinion but I wouldn't limit the quality of a trophy by the price I was willing to pay.

Good taxidermy work comes at a price.

That said, many of us here in the Anchorage area have animals in process or back from Dahlberg's Taxidermy and are very pleased.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    That said, many of us here in the Anchorage area have animals in process or back from Dahlberg's Taxidermy and are very pleased.
    I have heard nothing but good things about Dahlberg's work! If you decide to go with Knights be prepared for a very LONG WAIT and you are not getting any guarantees of who is actually doing the work on your trophy there.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Just my opinion but I wouldn't limit the quality of a trophy by the price I was willing to pay.

Good taxidermy work comes at a price.

I agree about pricing with quality. I don't want to go cheap, but I figured Knights is high because of that show. Thats for the headsup on Dahlbergs. I just checked out his facebook page and left him a voicemail. Thanks again!

Gordie in Salcha does awesome work

First off, NEVER bargain shop while looking for a taxidermist. Most good taxidermist don't even want clients that do that, so just don't do it.

Secondly, never make your decision on rumors. Go to each shop and look at the specific animal you want mounted and see for yourself how it looks. Then, get a gauge on how trustworthy the taxidermist is in his straight talk, turn around time, and business practices. Never take someone else's word for any taxidermist. If you spent massive amount of time, energy, and money killing your trophy, don't be lazy now, see the process to the end and make your own informed decision. If you are too lazy to go to a shop, then ask to go to someone's house and actually look at a mount that a certain shop completed. You owe it to your specimen to see it through. The world is littered with bargain shoppers looking for their taxidermist who skipped town.

P.S. Most taxidermist will let you make payments during the process. Don't be afraid to ask either.

Quote Originally Posted by PacWestFishTaxidermy View Post
    First off, NEVER bargain shop while looking for a taxidermist. Most good taxidermist don't even want clients that do that, so just don't do it.

Secondly, never make your decision on rumors. Go to each shop and look at the specific animal you want mounted and see for yourself how it looks. Then, get a gauge on how trustworthy the taxidermist is in his straight talk, turn around time, and business practices. Never take someone else's word for any taxidermist. If you spent massive amount of time, energy, and money killing your trophy, don't be lazy now, see the process to the end and make your own informed decision. If you are too lazy to go to a shop, then ask to go to someone's house and actually look at a mount that a certain shop completed. You owe it to your specimen to see it through. The world is littered with bargain shoppers looking for their taxidermist who skipped town.
    Easy one.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by PacWestFishTaxidermy View Post

Secondly, never make your decision on rumors.
    Hey I resent that, not rumors. But I can certainly start one!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

As a follow up, I recommend that you consider two taxidermists that I personally know and trust. RJ simington and Jesse Dahlberg. Check them out in your decision making process.

+1 for Jesse Dahlberg

believe he is a member of this forum

++2 for jessie dahlberg

Joe Romero

I would look at Wildlife Artistry out of Palmer.goat 003.jpg

Don't use the guy that used to have a business in ER.

I second Wildlife Artistry. His work is amazing!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Mike Frazier at Fur and Feathers Taxidermy, he's here in south Anchorage. Super stand up guy and I can't say enough good things about him. Nice, clean shop with one impressive display room. Based on his price sheet that I have, a half-sized goat would be $2100.

I also have changed to fur and feather this year. He seems to be very profesional and a great artist. Work shows itself.

The thing that I like about Mike at Fur and Feathers is he is genuinely concerned with getting your stuff back to you in a timely manner. He's easy to get a hold of and gets back to you when you call him. That alone speaks volumes in the taxidermy world.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    The thing that I like about Mike at Fur and Feathers is he is genuinely concerned with getting your stuff back to you in a timely manner. He's easy to get a hold of and gets back to you when you call him. That alone speaks volumes in the taxidermy world.
    I am getting the feeling that you like Mike at Fur and Feathers. In all seriousness, I take exception with your "speaks volumes in the taxidermy world" quote. What and where exactly is "the taxidermy world?" Everything you described above is standard operating procedure for most taxidermists. Just because you only hear about the bad ones, does not mean that good ones are a rare breed. There are tons of primo taxidermists that you will never hear of, and it is not rare to find reputable ones.

I respectfully disagree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast