Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frontier Gear Bombshelter vs. Cabelas M1 Outfitter

Default Frontier Gear Bombshelter vs. Cabelas M1 Outfitter

I'm a die hard Cabelas AK Guide 6-man tent, have owned nothing but for 12 plus years, but I'm in the market for a new tent and I saw Cabelas is now offering this tent and it reminded me of the Bombshelter. I never would consider a Bombshelter just based on the price as my Cabelas Guide tent for $400 has served me very well, but when looking at the M1 Outfitter tent for $1,100 and Barney's Bombshelter for $1100 (and some change) I'm just curious now if those who have a Bombshelter can compare the paper statistics of the M1 Outfitter to the stats that the Bombshelter offers.

And I'll say that all things being equal I'd buy local before I would order from Cabelas.

http://barneyssports.com/tents/bombs...ter-10x10.html

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Campi...3Bcat104481180

considering both are made by the same company they should be the same or darn close to it. I am sure Cabelas had them make a few tweaks here and there to make it better than the Bomb Shelter but I have never heard of anyone saying they wished a Bomb Shelter had anything else on it besides maybe a stove jack?

Agree. Same tent, same makers.

Really, so the Bombshelter is not a Barney's proprietary-their-own-design thing? They get them made somewhere else and have them shipped up here? I'm to understand that the Bombshelter is made by Eureka?

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Really, so the Bombshelter is not a Barney's proprietary-their-own-design thing? They get them made somewhere else and have them shipped up here? I'm to understand that the Bombshelter is made by Eureka?
    I forget the exact sequence of events but Eureka made the Bomb Shelter for Barneys, not sure if they still do or not? Either Eureka came up with the design and Barney's added some changes to it or Barney's came up with it and Eureka sold a tent almost identical for a few years. Now Cabela's has taken the design and got Eureka to produce it for them.

Either way it is a solid design for an Alaskan tent and very popular.

with all the other tents out there i've still never found a reason to pay over 1000 for a tent...don't think i'm going to start now either.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    with all the other tents out there i've still never found a reason to pay over 1000 for a tent...don't think i'm going to start now either.
    I agree with you Jake, it is too much money for what you get. At that rate you might as well spend a few hundred more and pick up a lightly used Arctic Oven and be able to use it winter and summer.

only an oven with a vestibule, the rest are just plain annoying!!!
    Master guide 212

I agree that $1000 is a lot for a tent. But, I'm done with the geodesic design that does not allow complete use of the floor space. I mainly use my tent for hunting camp and I like to sleep on a cot. My 6 man AK Guide tent is barely big enough for two men and two cots. A buddy of mine had the Eureka tent (not the Bombshelter or M1 Outfitter) and there was plenty of room for two guys and two cots and it held up to the same weather and wind that my AK Guide tent did so I'm looking into a more square designed tent where all of the floor space and side walls is usable.

Another buddy has the 12X12 Alaknak, but with vestibule it comes in at over 70lbs which isn't really a lot considering I go in with a Ranger and gear trailer but I like something under 50lbs.

I was Pm'd and told that you can pick the Bombshelter up for a good price during the Sportsman's Show in April. I'm in no rush.

With the windy conditions this year at moose camp I witnessed the screws on the frame of a $1200 bombshelter wear through the rain fly. The owner of the bombshelter also borrowed some tent stakes from my Cabelas outfitter extreme weather tent complaining about the puny stakes that came with his $1200 tent. He was glad that he found the fault in the tent before his spring Kodiak hunt. I didn't have a problem with the cabelas tent in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by hntr View Post
    With the windy conditions this year at moose camp I witnessed the screws on the frame of a $1200 bombshelter wear through the rain fly. The owner of the bombshelter also borrowed some tent stakes from my Cabelas outfitter extreme weather tent complaining about the puny stakes that came with his $1200 tent. He was glad that he found the fault in the tent before his spring Kodiak hunt. I didn't have a problem with the cabelas tent in the wind.
    Where you nice enough to give him a class on how to make the appropriate tent stakes for Kodiak?

I have spent a few nights in arctic ovens and I can't see a reason to spend big money on a heavy "bomber" tent that isn't an arctic oven. Hopefully I can convince my buddy to post his pics up of a trip this year where the AO's were put to an extreme test like none I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Where you nice enough to give him a class on how to make the appropriate tent stakes for Kodiak?
    Three foot sections of willows driven in at 45 degree angles two and one half ft? No I figured I'd let him figure that out for himself.

Quote Originally Posted by hntr View Post
    Three foot sections of willows driven in at 45 degree angles two and one half ft? No I figured I'd let him figure that out for himself.
    Think you got the measurements and technique down, almost sounds like you learned that one the hard way. I do have to say you are pretty cold hearted letting him learn that one the hard way. Wonder if he will also learn about the rising rivers at night and opt to move his tent the same way someone else did?

The design speaks for it's self. The difference in Bob's and the knock-offs is the fabric and poles. Still have one over 20 yrs old used as a commercial guiding tent. Also love my Arctic oven Just too much weight for fall float trips.
    Personally, I will pay more for USA equipment over china-- Same with my rafts and all the other equipment I use in my Alaska and international expeditions.
    Again- just my thoughts.
    Goo

The eureka tundra extreme is about $500 and basically the same as the b.shelter...a bit heavy, but sturdy and dry...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I have been using my Alaknak(12x12) for about 8 years, love it. It sleeps 3 guys on cots with gear real easy and it has a stove, but not a good one. When I got mine I think I paid uncer $800.00, not sure what they are now. The wind is not a big issue where I hunt so I don't know how it would do in a big storm but it holds up well the the winds that come out of Delta. If I left the stakes at home and improvised in the field I think it would save over 15 pounds, but thats not usally a problem for us.

Anybody looking for a Bomb Shelter here are a couple for sale.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/spo/3312881493.html

Support the little guy!! Bob is the one that came up with the design. You can't beat his customer service as well!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

can't beat his customer service for sure...

1S1K all the cabela's XWT and XPG tents are square on the inside as well, i believe just the guide model is not.
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast