Thread: Argo accessable duck hunts?

Default Argo accessable duck hunts?

Been wanting to do some waterfoul hunting and put my lab to a real world test.
    I just got my argo on a set of tracks and was wondering if there some areas that I would be able to drive to?

Lots of spots up the Knik not far east of Jim Creek could offer some off road access opportunity.

if your argo can cross cottonwood creek, it would be a place to take a look at, lots are walking in there now instead of atv, since the bridge is out this year.
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    if your argo can cross cottonwood creek, it would be a place to take a look at, lots are walking in there now instead of atv, since the bridge is out this year.
    I was thinking at high tide it should be fine, however I thought ATV's were supposed to stay on the trail, and going around the bridge, might get me in trouble

Activities not requiring a special use permit: Off-road Vehicles: allowed only on the Cottonwood Creek ATV trail from August 15 to November 15 (see General Special Area Permit for details)
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

There are several problems with trying to get your Argo out at cottonwood. First is the rock barrier that lines the parking lot. Second is the bridge being shut down and third is all the signs everywhere stating that there is no motorized access, finally I don't think you would be able to get it across unless it was an extremely high tide. Sorry brother, but if you want to hunt cottonwood it's going to have to be on foot or maybe you can run a boat up the inlet this year.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

One other thing just popped up in my head as well. There is a 1,000lb GVW limit on that trail, I'm not sure what your machine weighs, but they won't let us run side by sides out there anymore. The refuge manager stopped me, and a couple other parties on opening day last year, and said the side by sides were a no go, loaded down they were probably grossing 1,500 pounds.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Not to mention there is no ATV/ORV's allowed in the creek. I was out there this morning its pretty frozen up might have better luck elsewhere or getting a boat. An argo with tracks is a pretty destructive device to be putting into a wetland anyway. Those areas are the next generation's hunting areas, we are simply borrowing them, and hopefully treading lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Marine View Post
    Not to mention there is no ATV/ORV's allowed in the creek. I was out there this morning its pretty frozen up might have better luck elsewhere or getting a boat. An argo with tracks is a pretty destructive device to be putting into a wetland anyway. Those areas are the next generation's hunting areas, we are simply borrowing them, and hopefully treading lightly.
    I would have to disagree with you on being destructive, I have taken it out in several swamps and with 1-2psi of ground pressure, it leaves no damage other than laying the grass over. They claim its less pressure than a human foot print. I've been on the same trail the next day and couldn't see where I went the day before. I guess it depends on the person driving, if they want to they can really cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    I guess it depends on the person driving, if they want to they can really cause damage.
    That's probably the biggest thing right there..

I've hunted with argo's and I'd say they cause less damage than a four wheeler.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.