Thread: Thorne Bay fishing questions

Default Thorne Bay fishing questions

Planning a 2013 self-guided trip to Thorne Bay and would welcome your expert advise. Would like to fish for salmon (hopefully casting instead of trolling) and perhaps stream fish. Also are rockfish, lingcod and halibut catchable in the skiffs supplied by the area lodges? Any suggestions on areas, tackle, timing or other information that I should know. A PM would be great. Thanks!!!

I too am considering a DIY trip to POW. Never been there before but fished SE for steel for the last several years each April. What accomodations and services are available during that time of year? I understand there are several streams accessible from the road system. I am curious if there are rentals available on the island, or just in Ketch and take the ferry over. Ideas or help would be most appreciated.

Been watching Mutt's silver gray rockfish and saw this posted. I am on my way out to help a buddy find a bear (on the Kenai) but will post some info tonight upon my return that should help. TB has some good fishing depending on time of year, timeframe is important there. Here is a teaser steelie from a Wasilla dude from this spring.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Not that it's important but we did track down a nice brownie tonight, they will be back in the AM to get a bit closer and hopefully save a few dying silvers.

Anyway, Bistro - . When you thinking of going? Salmon fishing out of Thorne Bay is pretty good, there may be some spinner/casting at the mouth of the Thorne in August/September truthfully I am not sure. I do know they do well trolling. If casting is the most important part of the trip for you, I would suggest two things - either stay in Whale Pass in July, or get a boat big enough to get you to Barnett to the hatchery from Thorne Bay. We fish both Whale Pass and Barnett and they both offer tremendous spinner fishing some days though it is in front of a hatchery.

River Fishing - pretty good any time. Salmon is obviously month dependant but you can find salmon June 1-October 1 in SOME river.

Ocean Fishing - I would recommend asking the lodge owners for a normal daily catch on their skiffs. Rockfish is a no brainer, butts should be decent even in a skiff, and lings probably really tough. We don't have a ton on this side and up where we are we have to travel for them.

Thorne Bay is a nice place, some nice lodges, should be a good trip. I would call a few places, compare notes and make your decision. Real story - I had a group call me last winter doing some shopping and asked about a normal days fishing on the river (9 guys). I said if you get a limit of 6 silvers on a fly rod it'll be a great day. I would say to expect 1-6 on a normal day. The last call he made said 20 silvers a piece per day. So, call around and compare notes.

On any self-guided trip the key is to have REALISTIC expectations for success. If filling loads of fish boxes is important, go guided. If your goal having a ball chasing fish on you own with the HOPE you'll fill fish boxes, you'll have a successful self-guided trip. Either way have a ball!
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Bistro - I just got back from POW and my coworker, his brother and dad are there now fishing for silvers. The Klawock river run (hatchery based) on the west side of the island is nearing the peak and will go into mid October easy.

Gooch is giving you good info. The lingcod are more plentiful on the west side and on the outside of the islands. Halibut are inside and outside right now, same with rockfish. Feeder kings are year round. Seasonal kings slow way down in August when the silvers are heading towards freshwater.If you stay in Thorne Bay you can, with a truck rental, get around on most parts of the island to chase salmon in the streams and rivers. Pretty much EVERY creek has a run with humpies and chum and many with silvers. July, August, September is when I would plan for. We always go late Sept. for the silver runs. East and West rivers have different run timings. Some rivers to look at are the Harris, Thorne, Staney Creek, Klawock (has a hatchery) and a few more. Pick your salmon species and that will determine your timing. Not really a freshwater king fishery on the island. Port Saint Nicholas is building up a terminal king fishery with the return in May. This is on the west side near Craig.

Good luck with your planning. I'll be back up there next September. 2013 is touted to be really good according to the folks I spoke with two weeks ago. Our lodge owner said 2013 is his first fully booked year in advance.

Several car and truck rentals on the island. Book early and reserve with a CC. Wilderness Rental in Craig just went out of business Sept. 30 and my friends had to rent elsewhere. Wilderness Rental sold the company to the mechanic maybe and perhaps will reopen.

Hi , this is my first post, i bought a home on the island of POW in Klawock AK.I have been working on the home, just recently finished a 700 sq foot new garage. I just purchased a new 24 ft North River boat.The boat is currently in Washington,I am going to ship it up in the spring. The fishing is out of this world and so is the deer hunting.I killed 3 bucks in Sept just before i returned home. I cannot wait to explore with the new boat. I will be sure to post and send an invite out to those who served, as soon as i learn more about their salmon runs. l currently live in California.

I don't qualify as expert but did DIY the last 3 Augusts on POW. Almost every stream we tried (Thorne, Harris, Staney, Klawock, Maybeso, Neck lake outlet, Luck lake outlet, and a few others I don't know the name of) was full of humpies. Some silvers and chums too but timing is critical for those, and of course they're more picky. Maybe ho hum to the locals but it's pretty mindblowing to see 10-20 fish of any species in every good hole. More fish on a flyrod at POW in a day than a summer in the Rockies.

Don't know about saltwater out of Thorne, but we've had great fun out of Klawock, Craig, and Coffman. Again timing is crucial if you're after something in particular. Gooch and 270 on this forum live there and can give solid advice. Might consider a guide the first day for the learning not to find their 'secret spots'.

Worth mentioning the bears and whales if you haven't experienced that before. Some days they seem to be everywhere.

Default Yes, I'm dredging an older thread up ...

Taking my girlfriend to Thorne Bay in the first part of September, planning to use the rental skiff for all our fishing. I gather that we can load up on pinks and/or silvers by trolling, but about how far from town should I plan on running to get into decent halibut fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Not that it's important but we did track down a nice brownie tonight.......
    Excuse me, but are you saying that you tracked a brown bear on POW Island? If so, that is important..............

Ha, no Brain I was up in Anchorage and went down the peninsula. My friend had the Chugach tag, man wouldn't that be something though here on POW. I did see a lunker on Etolin before though.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    .......man wouldn't that be something though here on POW. I did see a lunker on Etolin before though.
    It would be very noteworthy. The lack of brownies on POW and Revillagigedo are true biological wonders to me. Historical evidence indicates that at least short faced cave bears were there, and my hunch is that brownies make it there on occasion, sort of like the puma that made it to Wrangell Island some years ago. I'd like to see evidence of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    It would be very noteworthy. The lack of brownies on POW and Revillagigedo are true biological wonders to me. Historical evidence indicates that at least short faced cave bears were there, and my hunch is that brownies make it there on occasion, sort of like the puma that made it to Wrangell Island some years ago. I'd like to see evidence of it.

Brain: A brownie was shot on Revilla about 10 years or so ago. I can't remember all of the particulars but it did happen. If Muskeg happens to read this thread he might be able to finish the story.