Thread: Advice for a grouse rookie?

Question Advice for a grouse rookie?

This is my first fall in Alaska and I'm itching to get my lab out and bag a grouse or two. I've spent quite a bit of time with quail and pheasant, but never grouse. So, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm living in Anchorage, but wouldn't mind driving a bit if the hunting justified it. Would love to hear about where and how you guys hunt.

For starter, the grouse numbers here on the Kenai seem to be down this year, not sure if areas north of here are trending that way or not.

I have hunted the same area for several years now and unfortuneately have found very little consistency in the habitat I find them in. They seem to be more common in very dense to moderately dense spruce. I haven't found ANY in heavy decidous forests.

We've shot a few walking the popular hiking trails if you can be the first group up the trail in the morning.

Find a large stand of spruce and do a lot of walking....

This time of year they are working over the high bush cranberries pretty hard so if you cand find berries with stands of spruce nearby you should find a bird or two. Early in the morning (an hour or two after daybreak) is the best time I have found. Evenings can be good too, but mornings seem to be the best. Dirt roads/trails are easy picking to find them, just don't shoot from/over/on the driveable surface of the road or AST might want to talk with you.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I'm here on the Kenai, and birds have been hard to find this year, compared to last time I was living in Alaska. We did get into some birds this weekend we ended with 3 birds, which is a limit I've put on myself so that I can hopefully hunt more weekends. If you make it to the peninsula I would be happy to meet you and possibly get out and chase some birds. I'm hoping to make a trip up north too this year.

Funny that you mention that, I used a couple of grouse the exact reverse way this weekend. My wife said she wanted some more low bush cranberries so I did some driving on Saturday and flushed a covey of grouse off a old logging road and followed them right into the trees over the biggest batch of low bush cranberries I've found this year. Preserves and cranberry mustard are all canned up now.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Find a large stand of spruce and do a lot of walking....

This time of year they are working over the high bush cranberries pretty hard so if you cand find berries with stands of spruce nearby you should find a bird or two. Early in the morning (an hour or two after daybreak) is the best time I have found. Evenings can be good too, but mornings seem to be the best. Dirt roads/trails are easy picking to find them, just don't shoot from/over/on the driveable surface of the road or AST might want to talk with you.