Thread: 30th.

Default 30th.

Went out on the 30th. Warmer that the day before but skies were clear. Probably only saw 3 big groups of ducks, the rest were singles. Left with 7. 2 scaup, 2 sprig, 2 widgeon, 1 canvas.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349103192.482213.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1349103208.631547.jpg
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

were u at your shack or did u hunt locally
    Wasilla

Default 30th.

I apologize for my lack of communication. I ended up having an "emergency" at work, (perk of being a plumber) and couldn't get out of work in time to catch the last plane over on Friday. I would like to hear how you did in the area.

Me as well, Spill it Bud!!!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

We had a great weekend, loved it overthere, but that does not mean a lot of quackers. Friday eve we went out and parked by your shack and hunted the pond behind it. It was stacked full of ducks, ducks everywhere and in the little time we had we did get a few. Our host drove us out and was waiting while we checked out the area so friday we did not have alot of time to hunt. Saturday am was night and day difference, clear and only a small fraction of the ducks we saw friday eve. We got some and had a good morning. Mary (Chesica) my hunting partner was with me and we saw a small group of geese feeding near by. I told her to walk up to them and shoot when they took of. She did and got 2 with her first shot. She was in shock and watched them fly another 20 yards and finelly shot again, getting a 3rd goose. So 3 nice geese with only 2 shots for her. They landed in waist high grass and it took a hour for the dogs to find them, but they did. Both young inexperienced dogs, but they earned their keep. Sunday morning was so bad there I never even fired a shot. But a great trip nevertheless. I thought you may have been there later on sunday, when we flew out we saw a plane parked by the shack, assumed you had flown over late, also assumed u had a plane i guess. Bud
    Wasilla

Well sorry you didn't kill a lot of birds, but sometimes just gettting out to experience a new area makes it all worth it. Glad you had a great trip, and got to see some geese!

Sounds like it was fun. The geese are a great thing about that area. At times there are some guys who will go over there and park planes in the pull out and walk out and hunt from there. Sometimes on a clear cold night the birds can pick up and move. A report I got from over there was that rain storm flooded the entire marsh and the birds had ANYWHERE to go, but were holding well in certain areas. I wish I had been over there. I am planning a trip soon. I've heard mention of a forum hunt and I think for those who have the time it would be a great place to do that. I've got the truck to get from the strip to the flats and a cabin that has 4 bunks and room for 2 cots on the floor...if we wanna cram in there lol. just a thought. I don't think the big northerns have come down, and its supposed to be warm the rest of the week, im hoping for a little extended season maybe?

i was really surprised, our hunt friday eve was basicaly just a scouting trip and planed to hunt there after we saw all the birds friday eve, it was raining then and windy, the fields were all flooded, to hunt next to the ponds we had to stand in 6"-1ft of water, which was hard on the dogs. I screwed up by not scouting around or walking to the coast when the birds didn't pan out well sat morning, we still got some birds, just not a lot. I stuck in the same area rather then doing more scouting and looking at other areas, think the shooting we did in a short time fri eve pretty well spooked them out of that area for the short term. is that jeep pu your truck, i would have expected it to be at the airport.

I could kick myself for not stalking those geese with Mary, but there was no cover, i stayed and held the dogs, and i really didn't thing she had a snowballs chance of getting one of them, much less 3. Bud
    Wasilla

Default 30th.

That is not mine. It belongs to the neighbor across the road. My truck is at the airport. I tend to head toward the coast. I know the flight patterns out there and I'll set decoys out there and there's more possibility of geese flying near you out there. I have only successfully walked up to geese and gotten close enough to shoot twice. Congrats on that! When I hunt the marsh I usually go about twice as far as that closest pond I think you hunted.

Scouted some new country and burned some boat gas over the weekend. Still lots of ducks up this way as it hasn't been cold yet. The mallards only move when they have to... and they don't have to yet.

Threw out the decoys on a gravel bar and got the only two that came in. Not mallards, unfortunately, but if there are still shovelers around here, the big ducks haven't even thought about leaving.
    IMG_3515_2.jpg
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Thanks for the report, that just made my week!!! The leaves haven't even fully come off the trees yet, no way is duck season over before that!

Default 30th.

I'm telling u guys...this Season may go a little long. Or have some serious migration shooting for a few weeks.

enjoy the extra time afield guys...sounds like it is going to stay open longer for the most part. Temps into the low 50s...that's crazy
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

thats only for a few days, we could have a half inch of ice on the ponds and lakes in a week if we got a cold snap, use what time we have left wisely and get out as much as you can. Bud
    Wasilla

looks like tshirt weather this weekend back there for this weekend. enjoy, appears to start cooling off later in the week...yeah,you guys already knew that..lol

have fun
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    looks like tshirt weather this weekend back there for this weekend. enjoy, appears to start cooling off later in the week...yeah,you guys already knew that..lol

have fun
    I'm taking the next four days for mallard gathering. It's going to be good around here. Hope the dog is ready for some mud.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.