Thread: Any Updates on the Upper Kenai River

Default Any Updates on the Upper Kenai River

Are there any updates on the water conditions, fishing, or boats being allowed back up the Upper Kenai? Any forcast for next weekend (10/6/2012)? Don't want to go out if it's not safe, but I was hoping to get out once or twice more before wrapping up the drifter for the winter.

Default Upper Is Open!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    Are there any updates on the water conditions, fishing, or boats being allowed back up the Upper Kenai? Any forcast for next weekend (10/6/2012)? Don't want to go out if it's not safe, but I was hoping to get out once or twice more before wrapping up the drifter for the winter.
    The upper from Kenai Lake to Skilak Lake is open to boats. But, unless you plan on going through the canyon and across the lake, your only option for taking out is Sportman's, because Jim's Landing is closed!

Well that doesn't sound like what I was hoping to hear. Do you know if they plan on keeping Jim's closed for the season now? Thanks in advance for the information. Sounds like I just might be wrapping the drifter up for the season way too soon...

Default Jim's Landing is closed!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    Well that doesn't sound like what I was hoping to hear. Do you know if they plan on keeping Jim's closed for the season now? Thanks in advance for the information. Sounds like I just might be wrapping the drifter up for the season way too soon...
    Alaskan Fly Guy, I didn't ask how long Jim's would be closed. Parks said it was closed because of the damage to the takeout and the road leading in there.

The entire Kenai River will reopen to all boating traffic Wednesday, October 3. Jimís Landing located at approximately river mile 69 of the Upper Kenai River will remain closed to boat access until Thursday, October 4 to repair flood damage.

Please contact the Department of Natural Resources Department of Parks Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation at (907) 262-5581 or the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge at (907) 262-7021.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Thanks for the update!

I called the numbers above and got great news. The river is open, the levels are dropping, and Jim's landing was opened last night instead of tomorrow the 4th. I guess I'll have to go down and give those rainbow and dollies a shot over the weekend with my son and grandson. Good luck and everyone stay safe.