Thread: .458 Win Mag Trouble

Default .458 Win Mag Trouble

I finally buckled down and started some serious load developement for my .458. The trouble I'm having is that I can't seem to seat the bullets deep enough, that is, to 3.34". What's bothering me so much is that I'm using loads from the manuals that aren't listed as compressed or even at the top end! I'm using mostly Barnes X 450s and Hornady 500 grainers. I'm loading Winchester brass (new) and using a MTM drop tube (about 4-5"). The powder that's the best in my rifle is Varget. I can't get more than 70 grains in the case with the Xs and Barnes book lists 74gr as top end. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hold the case between your index finger and thumb, hold it near a metal object, such as your press, rapidly drum the fingers from your other hand against the case letting it hit the press. This rattling with settle the granules quite well.

I had the same problem loading the x-bullet in my 416 rem also. At the time I believed it was a typo. Since I was using it for back up work I gave up on the barnes load data for safety sake. I switched to the 400 gr hornady soft points and have never looked back.

Your bullet is too long, your powder is too slow and your case is too short. :-)

Varget is a little slow to get top performance from that case. My all time favorite powder for this caliber has always been RL-12. It has been dropped in favor of their 10 X and I have no data for it yet. If you could go to a faster powder from the manual or to a different (lead) bullet. The Barnes X is not needed at 458 velocity and would offer no advantage anyway. I believe the 450 X is a spitzer also and that has no advantage at 2100 fps.

Harnady and Speer make more than adequate bullets for the 458 and are lots cheaper.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

The 450X is a monsterously long bullet, I had trouble getting enough powder in my 458 lott when I used it. Even with the 500 hornady in a 458 Lott, varget is fairly well compressed.

I'd agree to go with a faster powder. You also might want to drop bullet weight, I can't think if any game in AK that needs more than a 350 gr in the 458 win mag, and it is a much more enjoyable gun to shoot with the lighter bullets.

For some reason my rifle really likes Varget. I've tried faster powders and have had my groups widen. As to the Barnes 450, I got a really good deal from a guy who was getting out of loading and have about 6 boxes of them.

I'll try the faster powders again. Thanks!

Varget is a great powder, probably my favorite rifle powder. That said, you'll likely find you run out of case capacity before you achieve the velocities you'd like. Even in the 458 Lott I had to compress it.

Thanks Paul, and everyone else! I'm going to try AA2015 for a while. We'll see what happens.

Thumbs up Reloader 15

Reloader 15 and Barnes 350 bullets really good in the 458 Win
    Alaska

I use RL-7 with the 400 X and 405 Rem.
    Varget is a bit too bulky and maybe a bit too slow for your bullet choices. When I used 500's I used ww748