Thread: Corned Black Bear Roast

Default Corned Black Bear Roast

So here's another great recipe. Roast came out amazing!!

Heat to boiling the following ingredients:

3 cloves garlic chopped
    3 bay leaves
    2 tablespoons pickling spices
    1/4 cup canning salt
    1/2 cup Mortens Meat Cure (Blended Brown Sugar /Salt)
    2 quarts water

Remove from heat and let cool.
    - Put in a 1 gallon Freezer zip lock bag with a 3# roast, trimmed well but I like a little bit of fat for taste.

- Squeeze air from bag and close.

- Put in refrigerator for 5-7 days turning every day.

- Remove and drain liquid.

Allow the roast to reach room temp.
    Add it to a crockpot and pour in water until the roast is covered. Toss in carrots, red potatoes and ahead of cabbage cut into 8 wedges.

I added a tablespoon of pickling spice, I tablespoon of Allspice and some garlic powder.

Run it on low for 12 hours.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349063682.565969.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349063836.964463.jpg

Turned out to be the best corned "anything" I've ever done.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Makes me wish I had some fresh bear roast now I have to wait until spring.
    Chuck

Looks mighty tasty!!

I have a slightly different recipe for corned meat, though I found that multiplying the amount I prepare, and using a stainless steel stock pot, with a weight (often a suitably-sized dinner plate) to submerge the meat beneath the brine (saving me from trying to remember whether or not I turned the meat over, and reminiscent of the larger ceramic crocks we once brined hams in, as well as providing full-time saturation for the roasts) worked better for me, and permitted me to do between three & six 3-lb. (average) roasts at once.

I've wanted to try that recipe on bear roasts (especially from the top sirloin), but haven't yet. We've done a BUNCH of moose roasts that way, though.

Moose rubens are a favorite at our house, if/when the 'stars are aligned' such that we have corned moose, a truly tasty sour rye or dill rye bread, good swiss cheese, horseradish, mayo, and good saurkraut, all at the same time.

It's been a while since we had a moose ruben binge here, but I saved lots of moose roasts this year for corning and jerking.

Thanks for the 'reminder.' ;^>)

Default Corned Black Bear Roast

Roast was so good I ate most of it before it left the crock pot and had to drop in another roast this morning.

😄
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Some of the best game meat I've ever had was corned black bear neck. TASTY!
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly