Thread: Rain gear for SE AK ?

Default Rain gear for SE AK ?

Hello, I will be relocating to SE AK this summer, I have been forwarned about the "liquid Sunshine" what I was wondering is , If it rains so much, do people that live there just wear raingear all the time? if so what kind, I know for fishing, hiking, and hunting, there are different strokes for different folks, but what about everyday normal activities?

Thanks

PS any other info welcomed

Well, there are different kinds of rain: dry rain, sorta-dry rain, sideways rain, and holy-smoke-my-bellybutton's-already-wet rain to name a few. If I'm outside doing something like chopping wood or setting crab pots then I wear heavy-duty Helly Hansens with Xtratuff boots and sometimes neoprene gloves if it's cold. Umbrellas and ponchos are pretty useless because of the wind. For spring through fall hiking I wear some sort of breathable, packable raingear, gore-tex hiking boots, and sometimes those neoprene gloves again.

The kind of gear you can get away with kind of depends on what you're going to do with it. Nothing will keep you 100% dry all of the time; personally I'm more concerned about staying warm, so I don't mind a little moisture so long as my tp stays dry and I can avoid trenchfoot. The best compromise I've found for active outdoorsie activities are fabrics that are breathable; on campouts, I more often than not wear raingear as a windbreaker or while walking through wet brush.

Some other wisdom learned the hard way: bivy shelters are very difficult to keep dry because it's hard to keep them open enough to breath, yet still keep the rain out. My worst experience was waking up to find that my head was in a puddle; there wasn't a cloud in sight when I'd fallen asleep.

I can remember going on picnics in the rain when growing up and thinking it was normal.

Where will you be going in SE? I regularly use Grundens Commmercial Fishing gear, Helly Hanson Impertech, and some gortex depending on what I am doing and how cold it is. Extra tuffs on the feet are a must. I also were the Cabellas perfek 10" and their canada hunting boot. If you have any questions on SE living I would be glad to help.

Woody

Wink rain

Around town for everyday activities if it's raining I'll have on my gortex jacket and a pair of Merrill gortex hiking shoes, but you can get by quite well with everyday clothing. It definetly rains here but we do get sunshine once or twice a year. grin

Kingfisher

Was that what you call that stuff we had last week? Sunshine???

Woody

Cool sunshine

Woodie, I'm afraid it might have been summer.

kingfisherktn