Thread: swamp donkeys, and a caribou killer...

Default swamp donkeys, and a caribou killer...

this september was good to me. been a long season so far, but i cant complain. couple more nice moose and a wolf i stopped with a couple howls just in time to catch lead rounded off my september, and sent a couple more hunters home smiling. gotta say i'm over the moose hunting for a season...i'll get fired up for it again next year when they start bellering their love songs from the bottoms once more. heres a couple pics.

happily i have two coastal brown bear hunts starting in a couple days...back to doing what i love the most. moose are very big, kinda dumb, not as challenging...and super **** heavy when ya gotta pack em back up a hill to the only place the plane can land to pick em upDSC01476.jpgDSC01452.jpg!

the above mentioned caribou killer...not anymore wathced this female and her male mate chase bou for an entire day, they wouldnt listen to me in there hunting as i called to em...but caught the female by herself the next morning and a couple howls got her to stand pretty for my clients shot...cured her of that nonsense.DSC01388.jpgDSC01435.jpg

Ninefoot,
    Nice job, killer photos.
    BK

Congrat's Zack, Love the brows on the first one, looks like a old one.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntNBgame View Post
    Congrat's Zack, Love the brows on the first one, looks like a old one.
    yeah, that bigger bull's an oldtimer, all flat topped and weird. he went sixty six, and will score somwhere between 210 and 213...216 before deductions...theres alot more cup to his palms than you can see in the pic, giving him pretty good palm width. length was good as well being right at 40 inches per palm, coulda used a few more points and a right side to match his left as he got some deductions in the palm width department...

Good job on the moose and wolf Zack! That is some beautiful country you got there!

Wow those are dandy bulls!

Zack, what a nice haul. clients certainly must be happy. That scenery picture is just awesome. Goes to show we live in the best part of the world.
    Continued good hunting to you and clients.

Packing out two moose of that size on your back would call for some advil (or scotch) fo sho. Dang. Need a dump truck not a back pack. Dont tell me they wanted a head mount so you needed the cape also... Do the clients help with the packing? Much easier to load on a wheeler and call it good. One of the few times a fly in hunt is actually harder! Congrats on the successful hunts.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Outstanding for sure.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Nice critters for sure...but what's the deal with the guys posing with the animals and their stone-faced expressions? Every hunter I know would be ecstatic to take any of those critters, and their faces would darned sure show it!!! Were these guys simply dreading packing the critters back to camp or what?

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

Great pics!!! I recently returned from my second interior grizzly hunt with nothing to show for it again. I`ll probably be in touch soon!!!! If I had money it would not be so bad but when you save and scrimp to get up there and have nothing to show for it after two tries then maybe it is time to shop elsewhere!! Any chance you can send me that scenery shot?? My e-mail is rrheadguide@yahoo.com. THANKS!!!!

Some dandies there Zack!

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Packing out two moose of that size on your back would call for some advil (or scotch) fo sho. Dang. Need a dump truck not a back pack. Dont tell me they wanted a head mount so you needed the cape also... Do the clients help with the packing? Much easier to load on a wheeler and call it good. One of the few times a fly in hunt is actually harder! Congrats on the successful hunts.

yeah packing moose uphill is a rediculous endeavor...no way around that. but thats what we have to do in our western country. no lakes for float planes, you couldnt get a wheeler there even if you were so inclined, and it sure aint horse country. good hunting though

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Nice critters for sure...but what's the deal with the guys posing with the animals and their stone-faced expressions? Every hunter I know would be ecstatic to take any of those critters, and their faces would darned sure show it!!! Were these guys simply dreading packing the critters back to camp or what?
    i take tons of pictures man...these are just a few i posted. rest assured: theres plenty of appreciation and smiles with my hunts....and there's only two guys in these pics...i'm the one that reoccurs in three of them, with a client in the pic with the larger moose. lol, and you can be certain the client wasnt dreading much of anything. they dont have to help pack moose on our hunts, though that particular client did take a couple light loads of hamburger, and his cape (now that i think of it he's the ONLY client i've ever had help pack a moose) as for me...just another day at work man, no dread involved. the rigors of guiding are in my eyes a bit of a blessing because of the superb shape a guy can stay in for a big chunk of the year, i actually kinda like that part, and when you work for an outfit that hunts moose, then you end up packing some moose. we have a couple packers that get shuttled around to help as well. i had a packer for one of these hunts, but mainly out of necessity: my client still had a bear tag so there was still hunting to be done. the bigger bull i packed myself. thats part of it.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by ninefoot View Post
    i take tons of pictures man...these are just a few i posted. rest assured: theres plenty of appreciation and smiles with my hunts....and there's only two guys in these pics...i'm the one that reoccurs in three of them, with a client in the pic with the larger moose. lol, and you can be certain the client wasnt dreading much of anything. they dont have to help pack moose on our hunts, though that particular client did take a couple light loads of hamburger, and his cape (now that i think of it he's the ONLY client i've ever had help pack a moose) as for me...just another day at work man, no dread involved. the rigors of guiding are in my eyes a bit of a blessing because of the superb shape a guy can stay in for a big chunk of the year, i actually kinda like that part, and when you work for an outfit that hunts moose, then you end up packing some moose. we have a couple packers that get shuttled around to help as well. i had a packer for one of these hunts, but mainly out of necessity: my client still had a bear tag so there was still hunting to be done. the bigger bull i packed myself. thats part of it.
    No worries Zack, I have no doubt your clients are ecstatic. Just something I've noticed lately, a lot of guys showing off their critters while keeping such a stoic look on heir faces...like they are too cool to show happiness. Ill tell ya, if/when I finally get an animal like that, you won't be able to wipe he smile off my face for a month!!!

Well done sir!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    No worries Zack, I have no doubt your clients are ecstatic. Just something I've noticed lately, a lot of guys showing off their critters while keeping such a stoic look on heir faces...like they are too cool to show happiness. Ill tell ya, if/when I finally get an animal like that, you won't be able to wipe he smile off my face for a month!!!

Well done sir!!!!!!!!
    i can sympathize with what your saying...
    but i also kinda look at pictures as a way to capture the animal, scenery and hunter in positive, natural, attractive shots with much more emphasis on the animal than the hunter. i like hunting pictures that are clean, with the animal set up in a way to show its most attractive features whatever they may be. whether the hunter is all smiles, or straight faced (possibly in humble respect for what just happened, no? ) doesnt really have much effect on whether or not i like the pictures...thats just me though. thanks for the kind words man.

zack