Thread: $70 to go out. $100 for goose or limit

Default $70 to go out. $100 for goose or limit

Hello all,

I've got $70 bucks for someone to take myself and a buddy out this Saturday, Oct 6th. Wouldn't mind going to Flatts or Maud. I'm based on JBER, and that's what it would cost for me to rent a jet from base, which I am trying to avoid. Ran a jet up Jim's Creek to Swan on the opener with a member from the forums. We had a good time and shot some ducks, but the jet kept damming up from the weeds/grass. Spent a lot of time pulling stuff out of the impeller. I've got decoys, jerk rigs, and I'm decent on the calls. Been hunting ducks for a long time. If we bag a goose, or one of us limits out I'll bump it up to $100.

Can't you get in trouble for accepting money for a hunt without being a licensed guide? Not looking to stir up any pots here, just wouldn't want anybody to get in trouble.

If you aren't opposed to a little walking why not try out the cottonwood creek area, it's not easy but there are a lot of birds in there. All you need is a set of chest waders, a coat and a shot gun. Just jump the little pot holes all morning or afternoon, you don't even have to wake up early to hunt it! Just throwing the idea out there. Good luck, I would take you out but I have plans on Saturday, PM me if you need some more info.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Can't you get in trouble for accepting money for a hunt without being a licensed guide? Not looking to stir up any pots here, just wouldn't want anybody to get in trouble.

If you aren't opposed to a little walking why not try out the cottonwood creek area, it's not easy but there are a lot of birds in there. All you need is a set of chest waders, a coat and a shot gun. Just jump the little pot holes all morning or afternoon, you don't even have to wake up early to hunt it! Just throwing the idea out there. Good luck, I would take you out but I have plans on Saturday, PM me if you need some more info.
    Don't think so. One can legally even "share expenses" with a private pilot. Since a "guide" isn't required for migratory waterfowl hunting, my opinion is that the $70 shouldn't be an issue. Expenses, by the way, include the raw costs of the trip, plus insurance, cost of ownership of the vehicle used, maintenance, etc . . .

Thanks Grizzly, I knew there were some stipulations, I wasn't aware this only applied to hunts you are required to have a guide for.

One other thing you can do is rent a John Boat from Ft. Rich Outdoor Rec, then rent a small outboard prop (8 or 15 HP) from the Elmendorf outdoor rec. It costs around 40 bucks per day. But will get you into the maud lakes. I did it last year and had a few good hunts out there.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Thanks Grizzly, I knew there were some stipulations, I wasn't aware this only applied to hunts you are required to have a guide for.

One other thing you can do is rent a John Boat from Ft. Rich Outdoor Rec, then rent a small outboard prop (8 or 15 HP) from the Elmendorf outdoor rec. It costs around 40 bucks per day. But will get you into the maud lakes. I did it last year and had a few good hunts out there.

Ft. Rich is where I rented from. They actually have a smaller boat with an 9.9 outboard that is available. With all the trouble I ran into with the jet, and not knowing how a prop would perform in the grass, I just figured why bother. I would rather get in a solid hunt. It's not a bad idea though.

The water is way up in there this year, and those props are short shaft, so they don't need that much water to run. Just don't run a jet, and watch the weeds in your prop and you should be fine.

hopefully we all can get the "open seat or take me hunting thread" at the top of the wterfowl forum giing for things like this.

sounds like where it needs to go.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

make a call to outdoor rec before you make to many plans. I was down there the other day and they told me that they were winterizing boats and no more boats rentals for the season. Just do not want you to make a bunch of plans that fall through at the last.

As for the props going up the river ..I totally agree.. did it just the other day. I was in some pretty thick stuff at times but made it just fine. Had to clean a little but overall not to bad.

Obviously a mud is what you want but some of us can only dream of that ....at least until the ole ball and chain allows me to spend some of "OUR" money. I about have her broke down .. in this game of buying more hunting stuff it is all about asking until you are allowed to buy it so you will shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by NDH View Post
    make a call to outdoor rec before you make to many plans. I was down there the other day and they told me that they were winterizing boats and no more boats rentals for the season. Just do not want you to make a bunch of plans that fall through at the last.

As for the props going up the river ..I totally agree.. did it just the other day. I was in some pretty thick stuff at times but made it just fine. Had to clean a little but overall not to bad.

Obviously a mud is what you want but some of us can only dream of that ....at least until the ole ball and chain allows me to spend some of "OUR" money. I about have her broke down .. in this game of buying more hunting stuff it is all about asking until you are allowed to buy it so you will shut up.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll call down today and see what's going on with their rentals. My offer on here stands until then.

Quote Originally Posted by NDH View Post

I must have done it all wrong, I just bought one and let her deal with it! What do they say about forgiveness vs. permission?

happy to take u if we can work it out, call me 373 6208 Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    I must have done it all wrong, I just bought one and let her deal with it! What do they say about forgiveness vs. permission?

Yes that is a way BUT remember it is like poker at my house.... she said I will see your shotgun and raise you a couch recliner, new rug and ceiling fans.... and I got the look of... do you want to go all in. HA I give you grief but overall she is good with most of my toy purchases.