Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halibut species

Question Halibut species

I was out fishing Saturday and caught a halibut that looks different from all the others I have caught. It's skin was dark gray and black, it's eyes were larger than ussual and were green in the light. It's mouth was almost crocodile like, as its jaw seemed long, narrow and full of teeth that were up to 1/8 inch long and stuck outside it's mouth.

Is this a different species?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think that's an arrowtooth flounder.....

Never caught one myself but had a few buddies pull one in and described it to look like the fish in your picture.

Thats my guess.

Default Arrowtooth Flounder Image from the Alaska Fisheries Science Center

[IMG]file:///D:/DOCUME%7E1/Guess/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///D:/DOCUME%7E1/Guess/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Arrowtoth flounder for sure, how'd it taste? I've only heard bad things
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

We catch lots of Arrowtooth Flounder while longlining for halibut. There doesn't seem to be a market for them, as their meat is really soft and doesn't freeze well. It might be decent if you cooked it right away, though.

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Arrowtooth flanders are no good to eat(even fresh)or anything else I know of,in my 15 years of fishing I now catch them where I only caught halibut,I find once I catch them I will have to move to a new spot because the halibut are pushed out,the only good arrowtooth is a die arrowtooth!

I've seen a few of my less-favorite lodges and charter boats pulling them in like mad and telling their clients it's a halibut. GRRR... all it takes is one jerk to make the rest of us look bad!

Oh, didn't mean to rant politics or ethics... Sorry.

Yep, definately Arrowtooth Flounder.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Thanks

Thanks for the help. I haven't tasted it yet. It was supposed to be dinner tonight. I'm not really looking forward to it now.

Thanks again!

Question CanCanCase

What's the difference between the arrowhead and the turbot?

kingfisherktn

Arrowtooth have no purpose in life!!!!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I eat those flounders, tastes just like any other flounder to me. I like them. The best part is, they don't count against you limit of halibut. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by kenairmk View Post
    I eat those flounders, tastes just like any other flounder to me. I like them. The best part is, they don't count against you limit of halibut. JMO
    But it seems that there meat is very soft almost to the point of being mussy.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

It does'nt seem bad too me. Yes, maybe a little softer, but nothing a little beer batter can't take care of. I just like the idea of throwing it back. There is of course a limit...i don't eat irish lords, although the next skate I catch, I'm keeping it, as I found a great recipe.

Arrowtooth flounders have an enzyme in their flesh that when it's exposed to heat (ie. cooked), turns it soft to mushy. I guess there's been a bit of research in the seafood industry to figure out ways they can utilize these fish as there can be a fairly large number of bycatch at times.

Default Creepy

That's one creepy looking face on those fish. They could use it in some sort of horror movie.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    That's one creepy looking face on those fish. They could use it in some sort of horror movie.
    Yeah, it would star Samuel L Jackson. Title would be "Flounder in a Boat." Thousands of moviegoers would be confused as to the topic of the movie... "Just what is that movie about?" they would ask, and, "where does it take place?"

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Tubot vs. Arrowtooth

Someone asked what was the difference between an Arrowtooth and a turbot. Both are large flatfish. Neither has an anal spine. Both have very large teeth.
    Turbot have an L shaped preopercle, and Arrowtooth a curved one.
    Turbot usually have "fangs" coming out of the roof of the mouth.
    Turbot have an underbite (large lower jaw) while Arrowtooth have an overbite (smaller lower jaw than upper).
    Turbot are usually Dark on the botton and Arrowtooth are usually a dirty white.

Turbot live in deeper water, have a fimer, oilyer flesh. They are commercially a very important fish when the whales don't eat them. (10% predation or more on this fishery....sometimes a full 100% is predated on by whales) (killer usually) Arrrowtooth are not thought of as good eating usually, and have a soft meat. It degrades quickly, and I've heard for the foriegn markets they put beef hemoglobin in it to firm it up.

There is also a similar fish to the Arrowtooth called the Kamchatcka flounder that looks just like the arrowtooth, but is farther west closer to russia. It is darker, firmer, but not like a turbot. The way to tell the difference between a Kamchatka and an arrowtooth is to count gillrakers!

There you go! Turbot vs. Arrowtooth vs. Kamchatka!

Arrow Tooth ROCK!!! next time fillet them on the boat and cut their fillets into strips and add it to your herring. Tough as octo and much more abundant.

-Ben

Default Cut Bait / Skate Wings

Stickle Back

I agree with you. What with the price of herring going way up......

Kenairmk

I tried that cookie cutter thing with skate wings years ago..... If, if you can find a way to clean and prep skates wings..... I'd try it one more time, but your recommendation has gotta' come with some kinda' money back guarantee! Skate's are only good for makin' fun of the poor person that's gotta' real the durned thing up......

You could go to Long John Silvers for great Alaskan Flounder! I could not believe those commercials!

Bait fish! But is it legal???

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast