Thread: Any AR-15 Big Game Hunters Out There?

Default Any AR-15 Big Game Hunters Out There?

I recently picked up an AR-15 in .458 SOCOM (think .45-70 velocities in a short cartridge). I'm considering hunting with it for moose and bear out to 150 yards with 300 grain Nosler partitions but, I'm going to try to keep ranges to 100 yards or less.

I'm not up for the semi vs. bolt debate. I've used an M-16/M-4 in some pretty austere environments however, I'm wondering if anyone has used one to hunt in Alaska and what your experiences were. Anyone using the .458 SOCOM, .50 Beowulf, or .470 Rhino in an AR-15?

Default 50 beowulf

I have a 50 beowulf, haven't shot anything with it yet... Hopefully soon.

Default Ive also got the beowulf

Im planning on doing alot of grizzly hunting this year. Then go for a coastal brownie with it the next year. 200 yards is easy I will definately take a 200 yard shot. Im getting her painted in a woodland smake skin at a place here in town. I will use my 270 wsm for everything else.

I shot the .450 Bushmaster a little while ago and would use that. I was shooting at 100 yards it it was accurate. Hardly noticed any recoil either. Bushmaster might send me one to play with in a couple of months so I'll let you know.

Thumbs up .458 socom

The .458 socom should be the most accurate and reliable of all the AR options in bigbore stuff.(no mag mods and a shoulder for headspace and feeding.)

Its an AR....world wide tested action ...in all enviornments.

Have fun and enjoy.

Let us know about how you like it after you get back.

jedi.

I wish I had one.