Thread: Chena Fly Fishing Last of Sept

Default Chena Fly Fishing Last of Sept

We will be fishing the Chena again tomorrow probably for the last time this year. Anyone else fishing the Chena this time of year? Any fly selection suggestions. We will try egg and flesh patterns and of course our favorite Renegades...Will let you know how we do and what we see. Should be fun in any event.

Latestest I have ever fishing it was the 25th of Sept. If the weather happens to be warm of course whish it is not :-( by warm I mean in the 50-60's some years even if just for a day there is a late season little yellow / green stone that comes off in the fall. Size 12-14 as well as the large burnt Caddis now and again. In years past I have found the fishing productive where the South Fork comes into the main Chena. Just food for thought.

RMM
    BMR

I fished a couple of times last week. I've generally found that you can usually fish a week or two into October before it becomes more unpleasant than fun (although I've got a dog team and tend to think fun almost always involves getting cold and maybe a little wet). But I'll tell you what - it was slim pickings in the middle river this week (between miles 27 and 40) but pretty good further upstream and very good up above Angel Creek. I really like swinging a size 12 Royal Coachman but was doing okay with soft hackle wets as well, and Adamses were doing okay for dry fly aficionadoes. I don't know why but I tend to get a higher ratio of snags and foul hooks with renegades and while it's probably coincidence I'm superstitious enough to stay away from them - there's plenty of other stuff that works better for me, anyway.

First snow here in Two Rivers this morning! A little late, but glad to see it.

Thank you for the come backs.

Spoken like a true musher! Cold? What cold? I used to fish for steelhead in Michigan starting in February. That was usually chilly. Mlshore thank you too for your fly suggestions. I already know what I know but I greatly appreciate your suggestion.

Our friend didn't make it north due to illness so by the time we headed up the Chena it was up to 33 F. Frosty roads and then it got better with fewer clouds. We headed way up with only one stop at a favorite dappling hole. No fish there so up we went further upstream than before.

The grayling were there big time. We caught the biggest fish on average of the season. Matching the hatch was problematic. They were actively taking some kind of small fly in deep fast runs below rapids, dimpling the surface every where in moving water for about 3 hours. I never really saw any come off the water but figured they were hatching further up.

I tried everything including egg flies, flesh patterns, beads (I know, I know), etc. flies of every different wing and body color and bead head nymphs, hares ear etc. I left the smolt patterns alone. We caught all except one, on double and single renegades, fished both dry and wet. We had a blast! My wife and I just love this kind of fishing. A #12 double renegade with a mashed down barb worked very well for my wife. She was top rod again due to perserverence. They either took it or left it alone. We had very few refusals. We caught about a dozen between us. It was ccccold on the feet. Fascinating fishing though. Next year I'll have a small bug net and work on matching the hatch. (or maybe I'll just fish Renegades!) I fished them in Idaho 30+ years ago...I couldn't figure out then either, what they resembled. They just work!

Out of curiosity I checked my logs from last year and the last entry was October 16, although I'm pretty sure I fished at least once after that. At that point I was having to fish nymphs pretty deep to catch much, but there was definitely catching to be done.