Thread: Sharp tails - 27 Sept

Default Sharp tails - 27 Sept

I am still in pursuit of sharp tails and still finding a few birds. I guess since I struck out on them last year, I am giving them more attention this year.

Decided to try again with Alcanron out near Delta. Friday was a good day and we located a few groups of birds early in the morning. Flushing easy and fast they are still. Managed to harvest 3, crops stuffed with different berry types and green leafyness.

Maybe go out one time this next week again for them.

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Good job! My dogs and I are still out spanking the sharptails with intermittent hunts for ruffs. Typically the sharptails are on the move toward wintering grounds by the end of September and the areas where I usually hunt them will be empty, but they were sure full of birds yesterday.

Jim

Where do they go for winter?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Skinny,

Depends. Some will move from one valley to another while others, like the Delta area birds, will head toward the mountains or the Tanana flats. Up on the Elliott the birds will be moving through right now on their way toward...I dunno. No one knows about most of the sharptails with only limited study over the decades. They go from eating berries and green leafy material to dwarf birch like rock ptarmigan. I really don't know if all the sharptails the dogs found for me yesterday had been there all season or are just forming up to move toward the wintering area, but I do know you must hunt the food, and there was plenty of food available where I hunted yesterday and will likely hunt tomorrow after I recuperate. I must have logged 12 or 13 miles yesterday and I'm sore today. So are the dogs.