Thread: 5 Items

Default 5 Items

Hello, I'm finally getting my chance to live in Alaska and there is a very good chance it will be permanant. I have collected a lot of gear here and there while living in Northern Wisconsin and all over the world during my Air Force career (I could open a surplus store) but most of it is getting worn out. Now that I've reached a point in my life where I have some money and quite a few good years left (I'm 30) I want to invest in some quality gear. What would you say are the 5 most important items for an all around outdoorsman who likes to hunt, fish, hike, and camp to really spend some money on?

P.S. I am talking about activities in Alaska

MNViking

1) A good 3 or 4 season dome tent. Personally I like a 4 season tent sooner or later your going to want to head up the side of a mountain and even in the middle of summer it can get cold at higher altitudes. Snow in early August up in hatchers pass!

2) A good quality sleeping bag rated to 10 degrees colder than you think you'll need. Especially for the wife! Mine sleeps in a bag rated to -20 all year, and frequently on early or late season trips is in that bag with every stitch of clothes on that she brought.

3) A good pack for backpacking I like a internal frame pack, always been a big fan of Danna packs. For hunting you'll need a external frame pack Barnie's makes some really good ones.

4) A good pack stove

5) GPS and or good dead reckoning skills this is a big place

You'll also need guns rod and reels and a bunch of other toys but the list above will get you started. Your outdoors skills from Northern Wisconsin are directly applicable up here in fact depending on where in Alaska you decide to live you will probably find the winters quite mild.

I think I would work on items that you need to keep you alive, first.

Tent, I would say a 4 season.

Sleeping Bag, Very good synthetic, and lite.

Clothing, buy layers, no cotton.

GPS, Water proof

Sat phone, if you plan on being out in the bush alot you might want to buy one instead of renting @ $45.00 a week.

Personal protection, while out and about.

Have fun spending money.

I agree with these three:

tent- 3 or 4 season
    bag-
    pack

But I don't own a gps. My buddy does, it's nice I guess one he figured out how to use it. I've always done fine with a map and compass and paying attention to where I was at all times.

I say:

Boots, a few good pairs of boots.
    Synthetic Clothing- inner, mid and outer including raingear.

And then of course these 5:

Jetboat
    Supercub
    32ft Ocean boat
    ATV/ORV of your preference
    Snowmachine
    and maybe even an airboat

Well, and then these:

Guns and Bullets
    Good Optics
    Rods
    Reels
    Knives

And then of course:

Lots of time off
    Lots of money
    and a good hunting partner or two who have all or most of the above items. Espescially the Boats and the cub!

I'm becoming more and more intrigued by the jet boat idea. Sounds like a lot of fun and practical at the same time.

I appreciate the information I'm getting. I've purchased too many items that turned out to be not so important or completely useless. I've also bought too many bargin bin items and wished I had invested in the quality version.

Snyd

Man I'd give my eye teeth for a jet boat!! Well maybe someday I will be able to figure out how too afford one

Good clothing, which includes a few pairs of synthetic underlayers, fleece, and real rain gear. I think you'll find most folks that spend serious hours outdoors have realized Goretex just doesn't work day in day out and becomes a very expensive, heavy, non breathing wet outerlayer.

Footwear, you'll need hiking/hunting boots, I've become more partial to leather mountaineering boots, rubber boots ala x-tra tuffs, hip waders and or chest waders.

Lots of options for tents, if you pack it on your back, it narrows down the choice of what will take heavy rain and wind and be of reasonable weight. There are some floorless options, and options that take ultralight wood burning stoves.

Dittos the sleeping bag.

And finally transportation, ie 4wheeler, boat and or plane. The greatest obstical to the state is actually getting to the fish and game, and it is also the greatest cost in hunting or fishin. With a truck and a canoe you can access some pretty neat stuff, with a power boat, some really neat stuff, and with a plane, you can get in most anywhere.

Default i wish all i needed were five items

A good tent that can withstand continuous rain and wind (my choice north face mountain 25)
    A good bag that is light and warm ( my choice North face goliath)
    A light weight stove with a pot ( my choice MSR)
    A good knife that holds an edge and is easy to sharpen ( my choice Schrade)
    A compass
    Good rain gear (impertech)
    fleece clothing and good boots (Polar tech 300 and Vasque gortex hiking boots.. my choice)
    A gun that your comfortable shooting (my choice 12 ga.)
    A fishing pole and reel (your choice fly/spin) ( 7 wt Sage, lifetime gar. with a ross fly reel my choice)
    A good pack (I have a kelty.. there are much better though)
    with these eleven items i can do what i want and go where i want minimaly.
    Bushwaker

Wink 5 items what a terrible thought!

I say wear all the fleece clothes, sox, boots you can as you enter the state, that way they don"t count right? Ditto with the back pack, in it you can hide your optics, handguns, sat phone, tent, sleeping bag, compass, knife! Ship your boats, atv"s ect. you get the idea, now if you notice as you look at your hands, you still have room for five items! This method of travel is known as the Alaska method! Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

The folks in Northern Wisconsin let you carry on with a name like MNViking? That must be the real reason you're moving, right? Getting run out of town on rails? Go Packers!

Like you, I have a bunch of gear. I brought a bunch of stuff up from Wisconsin when I moved, but I don't use much of it, for one reason for another....no call for blaze orange clothes up here. There are a few items I've picked up since moving to Alaska that I have become partial to. These items seem small compared to some items mentioned by others, but we REALLY know your not going to move up here with only five items, right?

1. Under Armor thermal underwear - great for snowmaching, fishing and hunting trips. Don't leave home without it.

2. La Crosse Alpha Burly ankle-fit boots - I wear them more often than not, and they are very, very comfortable. My leather/Gore-Tex boot stay home.

3. Forschner filet knives. I have five that accompany me on every fishing trip. They are inexpensive and they work famously.

4. Knives of Alaska - Muskrat & Bear Cub combo. I used a friend's on a black bear hunt and fell in love with the knives. I now have my own set.

5. Wyoming Saw (18") & Gerber Hatchet (middle size) - I use them more than I would have imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    The folks in Northern Wisconsin let you carry on with a name like MNViking? That must be the real reason you're moving, right? Getting run out of town on rails? Go Packers!
    Haha, the reason I'm a Vikings fan is my dad. He's from Minneapolis so I grew up pulling for the Vikings and hating the Pack. I've had some serious run ins wearing my Randy Moss jersey to Lambeau. Thanks for the info too. The gist of the thread was to find out what to invest good money in. I've put too much money into stuff I never use.

Order your Mokai there and bring it up will save you some bucks. Not a rocket but it will get you places you want to go. Pack lite travel far.

Default My suggestions

* JetBoil... you don't realize you need one until you dont have one.
    * http://www.akgear.com/ for great Alaska weather gear. My co-worker is an avid hunter and she lives by this gear.
    * Keen boots have been the BEST books that I have ever had for climbing and hiking in this area. Mine are registered at 25 below weather.
    * I personally am not a strong supporter on Goretex because they just really haven't been a good brand for me.
    * Have your vehicle be prepared, meaning, if you get a flat tire, it's harder to change one in 60 below weather than in 10 below weather.