Thread: Head's-Up on Fairbanks-Based Hunts 2007

Default Head's-Up on Fairbanks-Based Hunts 2007

Hi folks,

I have been in Fairbanks for parts of the last two weeks and am hearing a lot of talk about this year's lack of snow. You may remember that two years ago we had a lot of fires up in that area and it really impacted some folks' hunts.

I don't know what the fire danger will be this year (too early to tell), but this would be something to watch if you're planning to hunt the Interior this year. Flying in I noticed that there is almost no snow on the ground at all- fairly unusual for this time of the year.

Hopefully we'll get some rain up there, but for now it's shaping up to be a pretty dry year out that way.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks Michael

I think all of us in the state need to remember those fires and they easily could have happened in your neck of the woods. Smokers please use your ashtray!!! I too am a smoker but I haven't ever thrown a but on the ground or out the window of my car! I used to spend allot of time driving for my old job the summer we had all the fires I put out 3 small grass fires on the glen between anchorage and Palmer alone! Another two on the parks and one off peters creek road! Lets be careful and remind others of that summer when you see them doing something dumb. We don't need to loose another 6 million acres plus of habitat.

The rivers are real low too! Which will surely affect boating this summer.

Default Alaska 2004 fire animation

For those who don't remember those nasty 2004 fires here's a cool place to check it out. Download the file and watch it run. It will repeat itself and actually it is better to watch the second or third time once it picks up speed...
    http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/cust...s2.php?catID=5

Two of those fires were in my backyard and were pretty scary!
    Lets hope we get some rain, but can it wait until after breakup?
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

>>>You may remember that two years ago we had a lot of fires up in that area and it really impacted some folks' hunts.

I don't know what the fire danger will be this year (too early to tell), but this would be something to watch if you're planning to hunt the Interior this year.<<<

Parts of the Interior are now running about 15 degrees (f.) steadily above the seasonal averages on a daily basis.

We've had substantially less snow than is common, unlike some of the coastal areas this year. And the build-up of methane in the forest loam (less than in drying coastal situations) is still a major issue.

If your camp fire isn't really necessary, and isn't in a relatively 'bullet-proof' spot, re-think it, please..

I burn slash and some burnable (mostly paper) trash on occasion in my larger burn pile, but I wait 'til we've got a good drizzle/rain coming down, and burn at night when there's no wind, with a hose hooked up, turned on, and ready, with a sprayer handle affixed.

Lots of folks lost their homes in the Rosie Creek fire in the early 80s, as well as last year in a seriously-unnecessary Tamarack fire. Neither needed to happen but for S-T-U-P-I-D actions by otherwise-benign, likely good-intentioned persons.

There's no sign of significant precipitation on the horizon the last time I checked with NOA or the NWS.

And please remember also, when the Interior has a bad berry year, (i.e., lack of rain!!) the bears often aren't as casual as they might be. Though that'll materialize later in the year, if at all. It's all connected.

PLEASE DON'T BURN UNLESS YOU'VE GOTTA', -AND- YOU'RE PROPERLY PREPARED !!!!!!!!

ruffle

I agree we have gotto be careful out there this year. I have a buddy who works on the taylor and he was saying that north of fairplay, not much for snow this year. We definitly dont need another boundary fire (anywhere in the state for that matter)

Ya, no snow this winter, less than half of normal and no rain so far this month in Fairbanks or around here. It could be a bad one. Lets hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    The rivers are real low too! Which will surely affect boating this summer.

Not if you have an AIRBOAT !! The lower the better

But I hope this summer has no loss of homes , lifes or habitat
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default Crossing My Fingers

My sheep hunt is booked for the opener in the Wood River area. I am praying for a smokeless hunt! I got a dvd from 2 hunters that hunted with Max in 04.
    For 3 days, they were stuck in base camp due to smoke conditions. They killed their 2 rams on day 4 and 5. They were lucky for those kind of conditions.