Thread: Thinking of running out of Deska tomorrow.

Default Thinking of running out of Deska tomorrow.

If the weather holds I was thinking of taking a run and making some lunch along the way. Are the river overly dangerous right now do to the high water? Anybody else thinking of going tomorrow? The weather is supposed to be really nice or at least nice by this falls standards.

I was out last week and they weren't seat of the pants kind of dangerous. A lot of debris in the water was the big thing. As the water drops it may be interesting to see what the channels have done so expect to be on your toes trying to read the water.

What boat did you end up getting?

The Duckworth. I drove to Fairbanks with my kids and gave the wife a day off we went and bought the boat and then drove back all on Thursday. I had the Boat Shop in Fairbanks look at the boat and they thought it was in great shape and it was a good deal. We took it out last night on Lake Lucille it ran great and the jet worked well.

Was out of the landing yesterday and today. No real problems. The flood changed the river some, but nothing too severe. The water should actually drop some more the next day or so. Go for it....

kevin
    2002 Wooldridge Sport 2000, 21', 350 Kodiak Jet, "CindyLou"
    26' Olympic Sport Sedan, 5.7 Volvo, 280 Volvo, getting there, "CindyLouTwo"
    20' Alumatech Airboat
    EagleQuest Cabins and Lodge--Willow

Well we just got off the river the boat ran great and the bilge pump works but that's another story. The water level didn't seem overly high but you could tell how high it had been. We made a small fire on one of the rock beaches and the kids played in the sand. You couldn't have asked for better weather. Bummer it's all about to freeze up.

The bilge pump works? I've found that out with what I'll call a plug "malfunction". I ran my old john boat aground and actually smashed the plug tube enough to cause it to crack on the inside of the transom. I wedged enough wood and duct tape to stem the flow from outside and had to bail a bit more often. It's good to have a working bilge though.

We started out and it wouldn't get on step and it was setting low in the rear then I remembered to close the valve on the sand trap. Needless to say the bilge pump works and after pumping what seemed like a couple hundred gallons out of the boat we were good to go.

Oh yes, the I forgot to close the sand trap valve blues! There is a reason I ran mine thru the hull. I usually notice I left it open when the temps are higher than normal. It seems every other spring I forget to put the cap on the tee between the sand trap and the exchanger. I have a ritual of going about half way across the lake and lift the engin cover to make sure all is well. It becomes a mad dash to shut er down and hit the bilge. I have found that the cap on a quart oil jusg will fit the tee in case the cap is lost somehome over winter!

If the weather holds I'm thinking of going out again next Sunday then i'll be putting the new toy away for the winter.

If the weather holds I'm thinking of going out again next Sunday then i'll be putting the new toy away for the winter.