Thread: review for new timney trigger for my ruger M77 mk II

Default review for new timney trigger for my ruger M77 mk II

well i've had my .300 win mag in a ruger M77 MK II for at least a decade now and i'm not sure what took me so long the change out the trigger. i don't have to tell any of you ruger owners that the triggers are pretty poor to say the least. tons of creep, a half mile of overtravel and and heavy pull. i finally decided to invest in a new trigger rather than paying a gunsmith to fix the factory trigger and sear. i ordered a timney trigger/sear and spring kit for around $115 ish and it arrived within a week. the instructions were pretty straight forward and easy to follow. if they really wanted to make it idiot proof throwing in some illustrations wouldn't hurt. using minimial tools extraction of the old parts took about 2 minutes. the new sear dropped in easy as did the trigger and spring. the part that concerned me and might concern you if you thinking about doing this is adjusting the saftey tab on your trigger which involves filing it down. i read many reviews that people complained it was difficult. i would say if you can run a file you can do this however you MUST go slow and olny take off tiny incraments at a time. I was dissappointed that i had to file off almost 1/8 of an inch to get my saftey to work but after some slow going i works great. follow the directions explicitly if not your gun will be a danger to everyone. after reassembling i was amazed at what i had been missing. i set it around 2 lbs which may be a little on the light side for hunting i was maybe going to increase it a bit. the pull was fantastic. the overtravel scew comes factory set but of course it's adjustable. it was right on. couldn't be happier and shoots great. a marked improvement. for such a minimial investment i would recommend anyone having one of these guns to do the same. overall besides the filing i would give this product a big thumbs up.

I put the same in my 375 Ruger a couple years ago, I was pleased at first. After adjusting it down to my preferred setting at 2.0 lbs it would occasionally fire with bolt closer. Since Timney is only a 30 minute drive from my house I went down there for a little technical assistance. They adjusted the set crew on the Timney sear and put a little lock tight on it. I shoot this rifle a lot, 600+ rounds down range. The adjustment held for a while but slipped and caused an occasional firing with bolt closure again.

To make a long story short I replaced the Timney with a Rifle Basix trigger. The Rifle Basix trigger uses the Ruger sear, only the trigger is replaced and the installation is very fast with no safety modifications, about 5 minutes start to finish. The Rifle Basix trigger is externally adjustable with an allen wrench so you won't have to keep removing the stock for adjustments like the Timney design. The Rifle Basix trigger is about $20.00 cheaper and in my opinion a better choice for Ruger owners.

http://www.riflebasix.com/index.php?...7u7ugon6ae9fd5

I've installed two other Rifle Basix triggers since my own, one for a friend and one for a cousin, they have been very satisfied with the trigger. I have used the Timney design on Remington 700's and they are very nice on that rifle. I also have a Timney on a Ruger 10/22 that I'm pleased with. Overall I think the set screw on the Timney sear is a poor design on the Ruger MK-II trigger system. I also dislike having to remove the stock for adjustment.

I've installed in excess of 30 Timneys in Ruger 77MkII's and never had any issues. After a couple you can develop a system for fitting the safety lug that is not so time consuming. I've always been pleased with the results, and have had happy customers. Just took one in today for a brake and a trigger.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

marshall, i'm interested in the problem you were having. so you're saying as you would close the bolt the gun would fire? what was happening? not enough spring tension or just set below specs? thats pretty scary. i noticed that they say the timney spring is 1.5-2lbs but i feel thats not quite accurate. to be honest i was thinking about putting the factory spring back in to add some more pull weight. i hunt where its pretty cold and gloves are the norm, if you don't use gloves you leave some skin on the trigger some days. saftey is obviously my number one concern i really just wanted a clean and crisp trigger brake with no overtravel.

I don't recall what the Timney set specs are. I like 2.0 pounds on my personal rifles. I don't like the little tit of a screw that Timney uses on their sear. It engages the opposite surface on the trigger. It has a very small contact patch and didn't hold when set light. When the bolt was closed the weapon would occasionally fire. I couldn't trust it so I replaced the Timney rather than increasing it's pull weight.

I should clarify that I never had a negative problem with the Timney Ruger trigger system when set at 3.0 pounds. Other Timney triggers I've installed and or used preformed fine in other rifles.

The Rifle Basix trigger is works great for me. It's very easy to install and adjustable down to a few ounces if desired. It utilizes the Ruger sear and has a greater contact area which I think reduces the chance of an inadvertent firing.

gotcha, i know what you're talking about now. thanks i'm thinking about cranking it down as heavy as the aftermaket spring will go if i can't get it up to 3 lbs ill use the ruger factory spring which resembles the oversrping on my snowmachine shocks in size and weight.

The newer Timneys do not have the setscrew in the sear.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    The newer Timneys do not have the setscrew in the sear.
    I did have an early LC6 replacement. I would like to see the new one, it has to be an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    To make a long story short I replaced the Timney with a Rifle Basix trigger. The Rifle Basix trigger uses the Ruger sear, only the trigger is replaced and the installation is very fast with no safety modifications, about 5 minutes start to finish. The Rifle Basix trigger is externally adjustable with an allen wrench so you won't have to keep removing the stock for adjustments like the Timney design. The Rifle Basix trigger is about $20.00 cheaper and in my opinion a better choice for Ruger owners.

http://www.riflebasix.com/index.php?...7u7ugon6ae9fd5
    I just ordered one from riflebasix.com for my Ruger M77 MII All Weather .308 before the LC6 trigger. I even called the company and the gentlemen was very nice, he said their triggers work with the MKIIs and Hawkeyes (LC6 trigger).

I have 4 Rugers and the older MKII rifles have a better stainless fit and finish, and the bolt cycles a lot better than the Hawkeyes but the triggers are horrible. I have a two rifles with the LC6 triggers which are much better but they have a lot of creep. So I'll report back when I get this trigger in the mail and install it. Who knows I may end up ordering three more.

Sobie2

I received my Rifle Basix trigger a week late, BUT without asking the company automatically sent $25.00 back to my paypal account! That was some serious customer care. Then it has taken me a while to getting around to replacing the trigger. In short it really did only take me a few minutes. No filing or fitting was required. IT really was a drop in affair. So how well does it work? The old trigger had a lot of creep you had to pull through before it would fire, and it was a pretty heavy trigger pull. Now it fires with light pressure and no creep. I haven't had it to the range but dry firing it at home I can easily hold on target and squeeze the trigger without moving the cross hairs. I was concerned about how light it was so I reefed it down quite a bit, and then I knocked the rifle around and cycled the safety a lot to make sure it wouldn't go off accidentally. The manual says the trigger pull is 14 oz. - 2.5 lbs. I can't wait to take it to the range.

Sobie2

Sobie2