Thread: moving tips

Default moving tips

alright i need advice on all the guns vehicles and other supplies i would need to live in alaska, i will be hunting everything, living mainly off the land as much as possible and fishing alot as well, details are encouraged thank you. Semper Fi

What part of the state do you plan to move to?

Spend some time reading through this forum. A number of people in similar situations have started threads lately and there is some sound advice throughout those.

Depends on the spot you pick..MOS 8652
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I found this article that seems to be a good starting place. I'd also suggest taking some vacation time and visiting before just up and moving. Plus, always save enough money to get back home. You may find that your 'dream' and reality are not one and the same.

Tips on Moving To Alaska

looking in the wrangell area currently.. MOS 0311/MOS 6213

Instead of trying to move everything up at once, I'd suggest the better route is to pair down your belongings to a minimum to make the move as easy as possible, and after you have adapted to your new local, then you'll know what items you need most. Give it two years to learn the area you've moved to. It's easy to get whatever gear you need, just takes money. If you spend your $ up front on the wrong gear, you won't have any money left to get what you find you really needed.

In SE, a boat is essential, but to suggest what is best is impossible w/o a ballpark budget.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

i plan on buying everything in alaska and budget is pretty near endless i have made some good financial moves in my life

You will want a good boat for sure,wheeler is handy and sno-go.. The 243 is the most sold ammo deer/black bear. Most also have a 30cal or 338 and the 338-06 can do everything here. There are about 200 miles of road on the island but only 13 are plowed in the winter and 4x4 truck won't help on the other roads. Toms bay at the south end of the island has a few places for sale but you can only get to them by boat or plane in the summer but not a real problem.Lots of vets here and a good doc that does VA medical for us. My e-mail is on your other post and I can give you my phone number.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by jpryan1995 View Post
    i plan on buying everything in alaska and budget is pretty near endless
    That comment tells me you don't need advice--With an endless budget you can buy anything you want, whether they need it or not...

I have a similar situation (not the endless money though). We want to move to the area but we have accumulated some items that would not be worth selling and then repurchasing. Issue is, we CANNOT drive these things through Canada, and will most likely not be taking the ferry (there's a good amount of stuff). Any suggestions on freight that wont cost an arm and a leg? It would most likely be to the Anchorage area or surrounding areas.
    Thanks!

Default moving tips

Quote Originally Posted by jpryan1995 View Post
    i plan on buyingC everything in alaska and budget is pretty near endless i have made some good financial moves in my life
    Wow !!! Goody for you !!! Just don't use your "Endless Budget" to move in my neck of the woods, your financial moves don't mean **** to me and I've nothing but problems with your kind maybe California might suit you better ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free