Thread: What quad/ buggy to get

Default What quad/ buggy to get

Hey I was just thinking of buying a new wheeler but I don't know what to get. I will be using it for mainly hunting and camping with some work mixed in and some fun on the trails. I am looking at the polaris x2 500, polaris 450 sportsman, yamaha rhino 450, grizz 660. The pros and cons of each. X2- pros-seats 2, little dump bed. con's- help me out here guys.
    450 sportsman-pros-affordable, decent load rating. Cons- small engine to pull 800lbs. all day? lacking storage for long hunts. Rhino 450-pros- seats 2, bed for possibles. cons- underpowered?(help me out 450 owners)
    Grizz 660-pros- light, engine. cons- not enough room for long trips. Ok so those are my thoughts and any input would be greatly appreciated. My current rig is a ranger that I share with my cousin but i'd like to get something a little smaller. Oh yeah one more question rhino owners do you ever wish you had an atv instead of a ohv? because my ranger is a big fella and i/we get sore backside from riding all day do you guys have this problem?

hind sight being 20/20.... I would really enjoy the use of a dump bed quad. They are quite usefull. My next one will have a dumpbed for carrying all my crap.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Default 6x6

Yeah they are quite useful and most of the time I wouldnt even need a trailer. Ive just been looking at the 6x6 today and it looks like an tough machine but i have not ridden one yet but if some I could get some input on them it would be appreciated.
    thanks

A buddy of mine got the polaris X2 Sportsman. He likes the big cargo space, dump bed and the folding passenger seat. He and his wife both say its a pretty comfortable ride.
    I'm not too impressed with the EFI though, seems like it should start and run easier and smoother.

I have an 02 660 Griz. It's a great machine but has it's limits since it's a quad. If the Rhino would have been out when we bought it we would have bougth the Rhino since we ride double. I have read much about the Rhinos and the 450 is sweet rig. The ONLY difference between the 450 and teh 660 is the engine. Except the 450 is geared lower, so for a work/huning machine it's great. It will do anything offroad that the 660 will do. Maybe some things better like reverse being lower geared. If you want a little quicker throttle response and like to go faster then spend the extra 1200 (COUGH) bucks for the 660.

On another note, I was looking at the Arctic Cat Prowler next to the Rhino the other day and must say I was quite impressed with it. It seems a little beefier.

Phunter,

I sold both my honda formans in 05 and picked up a 660 Rhino. I would not go back! You can put a 100 miles on the Rhino and turn around and do it again in one day, it's that comfortable. With a top and a windshield weather isn't a problem, or not as much of anyway. So far I haven't found anywhere I took the quads that I can't take the Rhino. The longer wheelbase is a plus when going through the muck holes, seems like there are always two wheels on decent ground. With selectable 2 wheel, 4 wheel, lock or unlock and the high and low ranges, you will never be lacking. The 450 vs the 660 is like Sid says, geared different to make up the diff in hp. There are lots of mods if you want more, clutch kits and cdi changes that will make a difference if you find it lacking. I put in both and am very happy with the results. The clutch kit brings the power band in quicker, the cdi removes the rev limiter, all in all, a good combo.
    I tow a meat trailer behind mine and don't even know it's there, loaded or unloaded. The bed is ideal for packing a rubber maid box in and keeping all the gear dry. Smaller and lighter than the polaris, narrower and a little more nimble make it a good compromise between the competing units. The arctic cat is larger and has some features I don't like such as the battery/electronics location down low. There are other things that cat could have done much better but for some reason didn't.
    Look em all over, drive them and make your decision if you go with the Side by Side.

Kurt

Default Yamaha maybe?

Thanksfor your input guys. I think that I have narrowed down the search to a grizz or a rhino 450. The reason that I am still thinking about the grizz is that it is an amazingly light atv and I still love the quad feeling (being able to stand up on the go) but the more practical choice probably would be the rhino. Kurt S could you give me the dimensions of the box on the rhino? But I still haven't looked over the polaris x2 or the 6x6. If the right deal came along I would probably have to buy any of these machines. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by polarishunter View Post
    Thanksfor your input guys. I think that I have narrowed down the search to a grizz or a rhino 450. The reason that I am still thinking about the grizz is that it is an amazingly light atv and I still love the quad feeling (being able to stand up on the go) but the more practical choice probably would be the rhino. Kurt S could you give me the dimensions of the box on the rhino? But I still haven't looked over the polaris x2 or the 6x6. If the right deal came along I would probably have to buy any of these machines. Thanks guys.
    Demensions of the box are 44" wide, 34" long, and 12" deep. There is about a 2" slant at the front and the wheel well humps protrude like a pick up. I put a couple of 4x4's between the wells and set the rubbermaid on top. Works great and leaves room under it for other things.

Kurt

Default Thanks

Thanks Kurt S. Does any one know the dimensions of a X2 box? How about the 6x6. Thanks again.

Default 6x6 box

The Sportsman 6x6 box is 3/4 size. That's 3 of the 4 quarters of a moose. The 4th of course goes on the front rack for balance.

Seriously, I am very happy with my 6x6.

I have a Rhino and I love it. I also have an older Griz, a 98 600cc.

The Rhino, to me is the perfect rig. I have a hard top, windows and am completely enclosed in the winter. See pic at: http://www.attorneystaxgroup.com/netpics/rhino.jpg

I have a winshield and a heater in it. For late season and winter bird hunting, it can't be beat! I use it around our small ranch without the top in the summer. I have had it a year and I think it will go almost anywhere a Griz will go. At least anywhere I want to ride. I take it a lot of places that I won't take my Jeep Wrangler.

Can you tell that I love it?

I would recommend that you bite the bullet and get the 660, particularly if you are going to put a top on it. I have found that if you load it up with weight, a 450 can be a little underpowered.

You know the usual, if you have it for 5 years, that is 1700 days. At a dollar a day, you can get the 660.

If you have any questions about the Rhino, I will be happy to answer them.

Default I finally made up my mind

I bought a 2005 Yamaha Grizzly in Northern Alberta. (thats where I am currently living because of work) And all say it is a nice machine and I am extremly Impressed with it. It has 27inch mudlites on it, clutch kit, hand warmers, 2500 lb. winch, wind shield, and a rear bumper. It only had 600 miles on it and I took it for a ride and I am extremly satisfied with it. Just thought I'd let you guys know thanks for the advice on what to get.