Thread: A note on ER Shaw barrels. (customer service)

Default A note on ER Shaw barrels. (customer service)

For anyone looking to order a barrel and considering ER Shaw, just got mine in and figured I'd share my experience. No ill feelings, just offering FYI.

Originally, they stated 4 month max turnaround time. I got my order in 4/19 and it just showed up 9/28. 5 1/2 months. I would've like to use my 416 for moose season but we didn't get one anyway so whatever.

Even getting a hold of them to place an order was ridiculously tough. The phone number listed for the barrel department goes to voicemail 90% of the time. It took several days after sending an email to get a phone call back. Then it took my FFL 3 days to place the actual order once I had paid for it.

I ordered a 416 Taylor barrel pre-threaded for a Savage, 26", unfinished. I planned on having someone local blue it and then headspace it. I ended up having a 22", polished and blued barrel sent to me. (????) I talked with the FFL who ordered it for me and I definitely didn't pay for the polished, blued barrel. Somehow they screwed up the length (to my disfavor) and the finish (to my favor) in the process. Don't know exactly what went on there. I'm not willing to wait another 5 1/2 months to get the right length one sent, so I'm going to roll with it as-is. The 416 Taylor is the optimal 416 cartridge for running a short barrel anyway (even better than the 416 Ruger). That kinda pisses me off a little. I would have liked the 26" to nurse every bit of velocity out of it.

The barrel itself seems to be ecellent quality and you cant compete with their prices. Their FFL discount is ridiculous, too (25% I think) so you can get a steal on a barrel having an FFL order it for you. It does seem to be an excellent product.

I have yet to talk to them about it. I might update a 'part 2' depending on how they react. I'm not sending it back, because I'm sick of waiting. I already dropped the gun off at Wild West for Ken to insult, degrade and headspace.

Bottom line, ER Shaw has a reputation for decent barrels for the lowest price for custom barrels, but they seem insanely busy and behind the curve, organizationally, at this point. If you're looking to rebarrel and have A LOT of time to wait, they might be the way to go, especially to save money. Dont know how worth it it is, they might send you the wrong length or finish.
    "...and if you dont have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." - Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Buy guns, its Biblical.

I already dropped the gun off at Wild West for Ken to insult, degrade and headspace.
    Hey now I did give ya cool points for caliber and ditchin that trigger, yes?

plus the discount for creativity...

and 22 inches means you are getting a cannon!
    Ken
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ken-Wi...10532992360444
    Y'all can watch my antics on Wild West Alaska, Animal Planets new hit show.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Hey now I did give ya cool points for caliber and ditchin that trigger, yes?

plus the discount for creativity...

and 22 inches means you are getting a cannon!
    Gotta love that creativity discount. I know it's going to be loud, thats another reason a 26" was what I ordered. In your professional opinion, what should a customer expect/request for such a weird screw-up? I would expect they'll tell me to send it back and they'll send a new one, but I'm not willing to do that. I dont want to wait another 6 months, and also, I like the free bluing job they did. Don't want to give that up.
    "...and if you dont have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." - Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Buy guns, its Biblical.

Good to know of your experience as I had posted previously to see if anyone had any knowledge of the Shaw rifles. I was interested in purchasing one from them and got a very quick (next day) response from them. Wait time is long...

I hope your rifle ends up meeting your expectations. IMHO I feel 22" barrel is a handy length for most rifles. That said- if you are spending the money for something specific I would want to get what I ordered. Since they screwed up I doubt the wait would be long to make it right.

BEE

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Gotta love that creativity discount. I know it's going to be loud, thats another reason a 26" was what I ordered. In your professional opinion, what should a customer expect/request for such a weird screw-up? I would expect they'll tell me to send it back and they'll send a new one, but I'm not willing to do that. I dont want to wait another 6 months, and also, I like the free bluing job they did. Don't want to give that up.
    Two schools of thought:

Ya didnt get what ya expected, so they should make it right. You should be prepared to wait even though I think they will speed it up for you...

On the other hand, ya got a nice blue job, and in my usual humble, yet expert in everything opinion, you are going to be far happier with the 22 inch barrel in that caliber. Seems that you are building a brush thumper and 26 inches is too long...

If it was a high speed lo drag caliber on the other hand......

Need a short 30mm low power scope.....
    Ken
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ken-Wi...10532992360444
    Y'all can watch my antics on Wild West Alaska, Animal Planets new hit show.

Oh well good, cheap or fast...pick any two.

BTW, I emailed them w/ a query this week, got an answer back within an hour.

I have been happy with the 3 barrels I have bought from them; did not know about the discount though.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post

Ya didnt get what ya expected, so they should make it right.
    Oh, Ken! This from you! ROTFLMAO!
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

I've still got the Shilen .416 unchambered barrel threaded and finished for a 98 Mauser I need to do something with someday. Toss-up between the .416 Taylor and the .416 Remington as I've actions to handle either.

Let us know how the .416 Taylor works out for you.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK