Thread: Mossberg INTL 817

Default Mossberg INTL 817

My hunting lease has a nice cedar sided house sitting right smack dab in the middle of it. Part of my lease agreement involves maintaining the yard surrounding the house. This year the woodchuck population is causing me fits. They are digging under and around the foundations of the outbuildings and have started on the house. These woodchucks are on high alert all of the time and hang out just beyond 22lr range. Last night I bought a Mossberg Intl 817 in 17 HMR. This is a cheap gun and I got mine for under $200. This morning I stuck a cheap Tasco World Class 3x9x40 scope on it. The trigger is crisp but way heavy at about 7 lbs. In spite of this I was able to shoot a 2 inch group at 100 yards. I took the gun appart and looked at the trigger to see what it was gonna take to lighten that awful trigger and it looks like it aint gonna be easy so for now it stays as is.

Have any of you guys messed with one of these rifles/triggers? They look a bit frail having the skinniest bolts that I have ever seen. This gun will spend a lot of time leaning against a tree, laying in the wood trailer or strapped on the rack of my Grizzly as I work. It will get beat up some. I am just wondering if it is up to the task.

Anyone have any experience with this gun?

Never even heard of this contraption EKC
    If'n I was you I'd just tote that Ruger77 358win and "bunker bust" them varmits! I might take mine out coyote hunting one of these days - ya know guns need walks in the woods from time to time!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

[QUOTE=Smokey;1182398]Never even heard of this contraption EKC
    If'n I was you I'd just tote that Ruger77 358win and "bunker bust" them varmits! I might take mine out coyote hunting one of these days - ya know guns need walks in the woods from time to time![/QUOTE

I got a box of 125 grain XTPs down stairs. I'm guessing that at around 3,200 ftps them pistol bullets would mess up a ground hog real bad. My thinking was to get a gun that I can leave in the mower shed and I couldn't do that with the Ruger 358...I'd worry about it all night. If someone steals the Mossberg...well they ain't gettin much.

On a side note Smokey my Octagon Henry shoots Remington Yellow Jackets and CCI Stingers better than any 22 that I have tried them fast rimfire shells in. I smoked one woodchuck with a Stinger early in the mowing season and it did a number on him. They have really been educated since then so shootin em at 50 ft isn't likely. I'd have to put a scope on the Henry to hit em now and I just don't put scopes on lever guns. Thus the ugly duckling Mossberg!

EKC, I ran some Ely match 22 shorts and they grouped real tight, but high. Lowered the rear blade today but have not had time to shoot it. Bought a box of 140gr Hornady Leverloution rounds and ran some thru a S&W 686 6in, had 4 outa 6 in a 8in target at 100yards but wow, its a hand stinger! Ouchee.
    I know what you mean, I keep a rem 22mag tucked away at my farm for emergency critters, wouldn't make me cry if it got ripped off even though it is a good shooter...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    My hunting lease has a nice cedar sided house sitting right smack dab in the middle of it. Part of my lease agreement involves maintaining the yard surrounding the house. This year the woodchuck population is causing me fits. They are digging under and around the foundations of the outbuildings and have started on the house. These woodchucks are on high alert all of the time and hang out just beyond 22lr range. Last night I bought a Mossberg Intl 817 in 17 HMR. This is a cheap gun and I got mine for under $200. This morning I stuck a cheap Tasco World Class 3x9x40 scope on it. The trigger is crisp but way heavy at about 7 lbs. In spite of this I was able to shoot a 2 inch group at 100 yards. I took the gun appart and looked at the trigger to see what it was gonna take to lighten that awful trigger and it looks like it aint gonna be easy so for now it stays as is.

Have any of you guys messed with one of these rifles/triggers? They look a bit frail having the skinniest bolts that I have ever seen. This gun will spend a lot of time leaning against a tree, laying in the wood trailer or strapped on the rack of my Grizzly as I work. It will get beat up some. I am just wondering if it is up to the task.

Anyone have any experience with this gun?
    I bought one of these a few years ago for long range rabbit, squirrel hunting and general fun at the range. I have no trouble grouping an inch or just under at 100 yards. I am shooting CCI 20gr FMJ. I have tried some of the lighter stuff and it was all over the place. I put a 3-9x50 Cabelas branded scope on it that I got on a screaming sale for like $60.

I'm not sure i'd buy it again but at the time I was after a cheap gun to throw on the snow machine and leave in the back of the truck. The gun's accuracy is great for the price in my opinion. I have had a little trouble with extraction but I haven't messed with fixing it. The gun fell off the top of the car early on in its life and the stock broke, Mossberg replaced it for free, wouldn't take money for it.

Its definately not a show piece but for the price it is probably the most cost effective .17HMR out there. I bought it based on my experience with 3 mossberg shotguns, all variations of the 500. They have all been just like the 17HMR, not pretty but extremely functional!