Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Michael Strahan's New Book

Default Michael Strahan's New Book

Had a chance to look at Mike's new Float Hunting Book this weekend. WOW you are in for a treat. A-Z set up, break down, what, how, when and why with photo's through-out! I am a book junky and this will be the Bible for float hunting.

If your in Fairbanks this weekend go to the outdoor show at the Carlson Center and take a peak you will be impressed.

Best Wishes.

Blue Moose.

Default Late April fool Joke???

Are you sure it's Micheal Strahan's book?

It's to bad that the young kids today wont learn from there mistates,looking back at what we did on our first sheep hunts,first floats are memeroies that may not of happened if there were books to tell us how to do. just about as convient as Mc donalds......

Default book

Rutting Moose,
    I think he is talking about a mock up of the book. It was at the Anchorage Sportsman's Show also. The book is supposed to be at the printers and be available later this summer. I will believe it when I see it in a store and can hold one in my hands. Until then it is just an abstract idea that has been floating around the internet for years....

Hi Patrick:
    I spent several days at the Anchorage Sportsmanís show and I never saw the book, sorry I meant mock up of the book, and why would there be a mock up of a book that M.S. was taking orders for last year? That was at the printers to be delivered last summer.

Until I see the book, I am staying with April fools joke.

Default Lol Rm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    Are you sure it's Micheal Strahan's book?
    Yes the Last updated going to print version with updated photo's.

LOL It's coming! I talk to C.B about the publishing as well close. Tons of work went in to it I am sure. Good products are worth the wait eh.

:-)

Default Book update

Hi folks,

A couple of things here. Moose, thanks for the kind words! I'm glad we had something for folks to look at at the Anchorage and Fairbanks show.

The hard copy we have in hand right now is a pre-press final draft. Its primary purpose is to give us an opportunity to verify that the layout looks the way we want it to look, that the color photos look the way they should, and to make any last-minute changes we may need to make. It has taken ten years to get to this point, but even so I am grateful for one last chance to look at it before it goes to press. Even with all the scrutiny I am sure there are mistakes we missed, but I have a lot of confidence that readers will let us know about every one of them!

We decided that we'd bring the review copy to both shows, so at least folks who already ordered it would have something solid to look at, and so others could see generally what the final will look like. The draft is different than the final copy in several respects; it is 8.5x11 and spiral bound, and the final will be 6x9 with regular binding. The draft lacks about 20-25 pages of front and back material (Foreword, Introduction, Glossary, and all the Appendices). My original manuscript was 1200 pages, but truthfully because this is my first rodeo on a published book, I had a lot of fluff in there that needed to be condensed. I re-wrote it numerous times and it is now tightly condensed down to about 480 pages or so. We had to reduce the font size slightly to get all the information in while still making the page count we were after.

The publisher is saying that the official release date will be some time in July, with all the advance orders shipping well before that time. That means that if you have ordered a copy, you will have it before it shows up anywhere else. If you have not ordered one, and intend to, you should know that advance orders are still being taken at $10 off the $39.95 cover price. You won't see it that low for a long time after the official release date. I apologize for the long delays in getting this thing out there. If it is any consolation, I have been using the limited time I've had with the material to improve and refine it for your benefit. The editor has done the same. I think you will agree that these refinements are very evident in how thorough, accurate, and concise the material is.

I hope soon to post a listing of all eight chapters, along with an outline of the contents of each, on my website.

To those out there who think this is just a rumor, you are welcome to drop me a pm and we'll get together if you're close to Anchorage. I would be happy to let you look through the prepress copy within the next week while I still have it. After that it goes back to the publisher. Drop me a line!

Hope it helps, and I really thank all of you for your patience with this. I can assure you that nobody wants it out there more than yours truly!

Regards,

-Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

this guys no joke.
    other books to get started sure...but do you wanna just start a hunt or figure out how to finish one? i know how to pump a raft up and some books would tell me how...details after the fact are what truly interested hunters are looking for. Mikes got them.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thumbs up Sample Pages from Float Hunt Book

Hi folks,

When I wrote the update I forgot to include the link to some sample pages, for those interested. These are prepress draft pages, we will be going to press in the next few weeks. I believe all pre-orders will be shipped before July.

HERE'S THE LINK to some sample pages. The book has eight chapters, as follows:

1. Trip Planning

2. River Gear

3. Boats & Accessories

4. River Navigation

5. River Camping

6. Hunting Tactics

7. Meat and Trophy Care

8. River Writeups
    (fifty featured rivers around the state)

The book also includes about 20 pages of gear lists, menus, food lists, timelines, emergency float plans, etc. It is full color with over a hundred color photos, fifty custom river maps, numerous charts and drawings to illustrate special tactics for float hunting. The finished book will be between 460-480 pages. It is truly a first of its kind in the hunting genre, and I think you will be very pleased.

Please continue to check my website for updates, and ordering instructions. The link is below my name in this post.

Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

heck I would buy a spiral boud copy. I like bigger text and being able to lay the book flat. If it would be cheaper then thats even better! my $0.02

Default Deleted Post???

I posted a negative comment about this book yesterday and the post was delted. Why???

Quote Originally Posted by Wilder View Post
    I posted a negative comment about this book yesterday and the post was delted. Why???
    Maybe, just maybe because someone misconstrued your comment "This guy is a joke" as a personal attack???? How could anyone think that?

Default NO

Quote Originally Posted by Wilder View Post
    You did not make a negative comment about the book. You made a negative comment about the individual.

Forum Rules
    3) Treat others as you would have them treat you. Netspeak: no flames.
    7) We do not permit negative comments about individuals, businesses or organizations.

So I deleated it.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Dave
    That's in place of a thumbs up (we need one of those here)
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Cool Ordered mine today,

impatiently waiting.

kingfisherktn

Ordered mine thursday, hope its in by Sept. 8th.

Default I will too

I am going t order one too. I have a bunch of books, never knew the authors before hand but was interested in the subject. Ya just never know what you might learn to improve the quality of your hunt.

Reading also makes those long winter nights more tollerable. At least we can dream of summer and fall.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Never seen a Huntin Book yet, that wasn't worth readin. Lookin forward to this one as well. Always some tidbit of info in them, that I did not know.

Only a man's man can sport a pink catacraft. I couldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Only a man's man can sport a pink catacraft. I couldn't do it.
    lol, now thats funny, I will probably buy this book but I will have to keep some muscle car mags on the table next to it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast