Thread: Moving to Kenai Peninsula after deployment

Currently Deployed

Default Moving to Kenai Peninsula after deployment

So, as my introduction stated, I'm in the Army, currently in the trash can, and my wife and I are pretty set on moving to the Kenai Peninsula a few months after I get out this coming summer (8 months, 1 week, woo!), potentially either November 2013, or March 2014, depending on financial situation. We don't intend to show up broke. I've read about the other happy southerners being ripped to shreds by you all. Anyway, I plan on taking a VA loan for a house with some property, and am currently getting more information about doing so through the VA, and my mother, who is a loan officer/real estate something in Florida.

Other than the fact that I'm currently in the trash can, and have been here once before, I'm stationed in Italy, and I've been to Germany a ton on training rotations, and I've spent a good portion of the past bunch of years straight sucking at life, so I'm quite familiar with the concept of hard work, and overall bad quality of life. My wife is from Maryland, as well.

So my question(s) would be, what's the job market like for someone who can, for all intents and purposes, jack of all trades it through life, what's the hunting like, is anyone here from the Soldotna/Nikiski area who can give me some insight, and anything else I might be missing.

This isn't an into the wild, mccandless, andrew the 17 year old hero, etc story. I'm just trying to buy some land with a house, that I can raise animals on, go hunting, and not see a human being for 6 months if I choose not to.

Thank you. I'm 22, by the way. I decided to retire from socialite civilization.

Central Kenai Peninsula

I have lived on the Kenai Peninsula since 1997.
    As far as hunting goes our big game hunting is lacking. Small game can be good at times.
    Our moose population is low so they went to 50" or 4 brow tine. We don't have any open caribou hunts and the 2 drawing caribou hunts can be tough hunts due to their location.
    We are allowed 3 black bears a year. Some guys have good luck on black bears especially those with bait stations in the right areas.
    If you plan to bait on the refuge it is a lottery for the available sites.
    Many other areas are hard to bait because you must be a mile from any residence including your own home to set up a bait station.
    I do know several people who have hiked in for black bears and done well. Of course they knew the areas well and knew where to look.
    For work I was always able to find work but I wasn't picky most of the time either. I started out doing cannery work and whatever I could find.
    I then lucked into an oilfield job and have been working in this industry since 1999.
    I know the inlet is loosing oil/gas production but there is a recent interest in finding new gas/oil and so that may be picking up I couldn't say for sure.
    A lot depends on your work history, residency status,refrences etc. Most companies seem to give a preference to those who are already alaskan residents.
    I think it would be tough to live where you can find/drive to work yet become isolated completly for 6 months. Possible I suppose but unlikely.
    You will occasionaly have someone drive into your place or whatever because we are on the the road system.
    If you bought a place off the grid and further out you might have trouble finding work you can do consistently.

As far as the other thread starters getting ripped to shreds I don't believe they were.
    So many people don't want to hear the negative aspects of their plans. Yet those are the exact things they need to study the most.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Palmer, AK

Default Moving to Kenai Peninsula after deployment

Some people raise animals up here but to me if the goal is to have a sustainable property that takes a lot of time and energy then AK is not the place for you.

Personally I would prefer to have 2-5 acres of land and would leave most of it undeveloped just to insure no one else could live on it. My viewpoint on a home in AK is to make it minimally work intensive with plenty of good well organized storage space for all the junk I use to enjoy AK. Beyond that a home is just a place to sleep during the work week and store my gear when I am not out using it! Summer is way to short to spend your weekends working in the yard!

For the Kenai the bounty of the land is in the rivers, not the forests. If you can live off fish then it is the right place for you.

My wife and I were both active USAF and moved back to AK when we got out. We ended up taking a close look at the job market and making a plan. Using some serious team work one of us supported the family while the other went to school. Lots of sacrifice and 3 years later my wife has finished school and has a fantastic career in a growing field. The new MGIB helped pay the bills and make it possible. If you both work it may be worth it to have her go to work while you go to school and used the MGIB to help offset the costs. The Peninsula college has degree programs to help you get into the oil and gas industry. Odd jobs are cool when your young but eventually you will likely want a career. Many of the oil and gas jobs work 2 on 2 off or some variation of that. As a multiple deployment guy you may find that type of lifestyle fits you. When your at work it's 100% work but when you are home your time is 100% your time.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post

For the Kenai the bounty of the land is in the rivers, not the forests. If you can live off fish then it is the right place for you. .

For pure survival I would choose a large lake for year around survival fish. I lived on Lake Clark in the 80's and was sure I would never starve to death.

KP, the dingleberry of Alaska

The central Kenai Peninsula is a pretty good deal, all around; the cost of living is reasonable, and there's quite a bit of work compared to other areas. The climate is excellent (for Alaska). Fishing is unbelievable, which brings in tons of tourists in the summer, but that just bolsters the local economy, so it's not necessarily a bad thing. The school district is one of the top-ranked in the state. Real estate prices are low. There's lots and lots of public land, and you can be in absolute pristine wilderness in pretty short order. Big game hunting for moose, caribou, sheep, goat, brown and black bear, coyote, wolf, grouse, hare, etc., etc.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg