Thread: Sheep hunters.. any thoughts on the snow?

Default Sheep hunters.. any thoughts on the snow?

I have the DS140 tag and was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what this snow is going to do with the sheep. I have been up watching several sheep through most of the summer and have plans to hike up Sunday for opening morning. When I was up there on Wednseday there was 4 inches of new snow, I didn't see any sheep, but part of that was visibility was poor. Any thoughts on what this snow may do to the sheep activity?

Thanks,
    Dave

the only sheep hunting i've really done has been in the snow. they actually don't blend in as well as you would think. they actually look more of an off white or yellowish up against the snow. any windswept area or south/ southwest facing slope that burns off quicker might be good. up here when it gets deep they head down to brushy areas. not familiar with your area and vegatation but if they can't get food maybe they'll be lower. best of luck

Really good advice on prior post. Usually with the first snow they will come down and then go back up. Later when the snow comes and sticks they are usually found at lower elevations. Compared to VERY WHITE snow you will find the sheep to be somewhat cream colored. In my experience they tend to bunch up more with snow and often when not feeding will tend to congregate where they have a face, cliff, rim rock, or wall to their backs. Also once the snow comes "to stay" they move to an alternate feeding area, one that is relatively less covered in snow such as passes and ridge lines where the snow tends to be blown free so that they can graze. It is surprising how you can be looking right at them, and then suddenly "see" them. Good Luck
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.