Thread: hunting a dog in heat

Default hunting a dog in heat

Quick question for someone with more knowledge than me. My young pup is coming into heat. I have notice all the signs but one that is really puzzling me is when she hunts. I have hunted her hard this week but she has a little motivation loss. She will retrieve and follow commands but her motivation is just not as high as prior to the season. I am sure cold water long sits in a blind do not help but overall I can tell a difference Has anyone else seen this to be a problem? Just wondering if I should be looking for something else or is it common. I can only imagine she does not feel that good...she has also been quite grouchy at home with here older sister.

Next week she'll be flagging her older sister.

*****es are all different. Mostly mine have felt very good while in heat and are hotter than a pistol, marking excellently and being real team players with lots of go on blinds. Then two weeks after they are out of heat they can't find a snow goose on a fairway and act like they've never seen a cast before.

Thank God it's only 3 weeks for the heat part and if she is all hormonal during her false pregnancy it's usually over in 6 more weeks. It depends on the *****. If she looses all desire I wouldn't force any issues by taking her hunting. Wait until she's back to thinking about other things than her hormones. But if she wants to go, I would take them as long as you can keep her away from any male dogs that might be out there.

Some people say not to swim them when they're in heat but I've always swum mine, if they went into heat when I was working water, without any problems. Has anyone else ever seen an issue from swimming a ***** in heat?

Thanks for the help. This is my first dog that I have allowed to go into heat. Would like some puppies but not for at least 2 more years. I am backing off the correction some. I knew something was wrong when she retrieved a bird brought it to me and spit it with out the command drop. She looked at me like here is your **** bird..... Ha.... She NEVER drops even when exiting the water to shake.

Default Re: hunting a dog in heat

Just be glad it's not a monthly thing

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

tell me about it. I live in a house full of females. The prime indicator that the pup was coming is was she became grouchy. HA

Who would have thunk it?
    I have trained and hunted w/ females in heat w/ little issue that I could not manage. But then I took care to simplify and work well within their ability. I never added new concepts or set them up for corrections. Just have to read the dog and flow with her.
    ARR

Well apparently the grouchy loss of motivation has passed. The little girl is back to her old self .... hard charging in fact maybe even harder. Taking her out tomorrow. she was extremely jealous the other day when just her sister went out. Ha ..dogs are truly like having kids.