Thread: Henry 22 S,L,LR ?

Default Henry 22 S,L,LR ?

OK, did some swapping and now own a new Henry with octo barrel, smooth as butter action, sweet gun. Now it says it can take all 3/ 22 rounds, but, could a fellar stuff'r full of a mixture of all 3 and run'em through it? I have owned other 22's that would eat them all but never thought much about if they would work if you mixed em up at the same time?
    Gotta taker out tomorrow and let the neighbor kid break her in!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Well never tried that but it should work. If the cartage stop stops a short from half on and half off the lift arm (got to ta feed short) then it shouldn’t matter if you mix and match them in the magazine.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Let us know Smokey. I just acquired a Browning BL 22 but I don't have any shorts or longs to try it out. In fact, I haven't ever bought any shorts or longs. Your Henry is a fine gun, well made. It should function with any combination of those three. Henry also has a real good customer service, had a good experience lately with them

I have never owned a Henry 22 but the Marlin 39A will shoot short, long, and long rifle also. In mine
    you can mix them up and it handles them perfectly. My bet is the Henry will also.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    OK, did some swapping and now own a new Henry with octo barrel, smooth as butter action, sweet gun. Now it says it can take all 3/ 22 rounds, but, could a fellar stuff'r full of a mixture of all 3 and run'em through it? I have owned other 22's that would eat them all but never thought much about if they would work if you mixed em up at the same time?
    Gotta taker out tomorrow and let the neighbor kid break her in!
    About a year ago I gave up on finding a clean Marlin Mountie and bought one of those Henrys with the octagon barrel. I had a Browning BL22 and loved it but my Daughter married a real good guy and he was worthy of it so.... I became 22 leverless. The Henry that I got was priced way low because it had a chipped butt plate from a clumbsy customer. If it had been me I woulda paid the $25 that it cost to get a new butt plate since it was a new gun rather than to mark it down $100. Anyway , it's mine now and I love it. They are slick little guns and as smooth as any of the other ratchet 22's that cost twice as much.

I had a jar of 22 shells that was a hodge podge mixture of whatever was in my coat/pants pocket at the end of the day. My grandson and I shot them up this summer(he has the H001 Henry lever gun) and we loaded them at random. They all fed and the only ones that didn't go bang weren't going to go bang no matter what they were shot out of.

My Henry grows on me a little bit more everytime I take it shooting. It's here to stay now! Nice find for sure Smokey! I'm fixen to kill some skirls with mine tomorrow morning!

A friend has one of the Henry 22's with octogon barrel and about the only thing I didn't like about it was the highlighted writing on the barrel. Of course I am not one for gold engraving but that is just me. Never shot one though and I am like EKC, am about giving up on finding a nice Marlin lever.

henry22.jpg

I agree Marko. That gold accent paint can be had for cheap so if a fella wants it then the option is his unless it is already done at the factory in which case you have it like it or not. I could live without it. It cheapens up the appearance in my opinion.

Well fellers, ate them mixed up rounds today like chubby gals devoring a box of mixed chocolates! Only problem I ran into was I couldn't get the rear site low enough to bring the hits into the x ring. There is more adjustment on the rear blade if'n I can get that dang itty bitty screw loose! Thats another plus for the Henry, definetly a smart little addition for the shooter that you don't see in competitive rifles.
    I kinda like the gold inlay on mine - especially the MADE IN USA part!
    Took Steve out today and we finished up our deer blinds for his youth hunt next Sat/Sun, built some rests and raised platforms in two blinds as he is a bit short in the britches! Had him shoot a cardboard deer with his 50cal from the blinds and we are set to go! Got him up to 100grains of 777 and he was smokin the 100yard targets... Got a cool 6 x 4 non- typical on one of our plot cams so we are set... Took him to look at new bows later in the day, sure is fun to have another youngster around, heck EKC, might even get him to carry out our moosies in a cpl years!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Smokey, glad the Henry "ate" those boolits but all shooting high? I do agree with the made in America part especially with the quality.

Good luck on the youth hunt, we just had ours last weekend and saw a few smiling faces of new hunters. Have fun.

I have the Youth model and it shoots shorts and LR...haven't seen a Long in a coon's age. I picked this one up for a C note and it is very cute except for the boogered up rail and file marks on the receiver put there by the previous owner. I put the Henry green fiber optic front sight on this one and it shoots to point of aim OK. I also tried a little cheap red dot sight and it works real well too but looks wrong on the Henry. I'm thinking about getting on of those in .22 Mag...just because they are soo smooth and such a nice gun.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Just read a review of that gun in Sept Rifle and it shot high except with target ammo as well. Claimed best groups with open sights- 1" at 50 yds using Mini Mags. Sounds like a great rifle! As much as we aall seem to like big boomers- I have always had a soft spot for .22's both hand gun and rifles.
    Enjoy it!

Got time to get that screw loose today on the rear site - dropped the v notch down a bunch, Didin't have time to shoot it but should take care of the high hits.
    The old eyes and no-line bifocals say "mount a scope on it", but I like it too much with open sights as it will likely be a can plinker anyway and they are easy to sneak up on!
    Good job Markopolo with the youth support, very rewarding for sure!

Smokey, same problem as you with the bifocals. Have you tried one of those circles on your glasses. I was at the range one day and an older gentleman gave me a homemade circle he made out of black tape. I put it on a set of clear safety glasses and it worked pretty good. Most of my guns have scopes but I have some open sighters I want to shoot again. Am going to get those glasses out and try it again.

I don't really like buckhorn rear sights. Specially if they have the real high wings on them like many buckhorns do. They just seem to prohibit quick target aquisition for me. I had a set of old Reminton sights like on the 514 and thats what my Henry wears and it shoots real good with them too.

Incidently I didn't get to go kill skirls today. My one year granddaughter showed up and mom and dad needed me to take care of her for a while and I will never turn that down....man I love those grandkids.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

That's a right smart Idea you had, Smokey. Let the neighbor kid try it, and if it jams up, you can blame it on him. Also, you won't hafta deal with the recoil.

The model you're referring to, is mighty fine, I'm sure, but I don't like the Golden Boy version because it has too much DROP, on the stock. I like lots of drop, but that's wayyyyy too much.

Henry makes a Pump 22 also. I think I might like that one, too.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Skinner sights makes some nice peep's for the Henry rifles and it looks a lot nicer than a scope.
    Smitty- I didn't know they were making a pump...I will have to look into that. I miss my 572.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    Skinner sights makes some nice peep's for the Henry rifles and it looks a lot nicer than a scope.
    Smitty- I didn't know they were making a pump...I will have to look into that. I miss my 572.
    Actually, I don't know anything about it, except it looks good. And, it's spendy.

I betcha EKC could bag a Coyotee, with the 22 Mag. Version.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-pump.cfm

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    That's a right smart Idea you had, Smokey. Let the neighbor kid try it, and if it jams up, you can blame it on him. Also, you won't hafta deal with the recoil.

The model you're referring to, is mighty fine, I'm sure, but I don't like the Golden Boy version because it has too much DROP, on the stock. I like lots of drop, but that's wayyyyy too much.

Henry makes a Pump 22 also. I think I might like that one, too.

Smitty of the North
    Smitty, I agree that drop on most of the Henry's is ridiculously harsh, not sure why they at least don't offer the Golden Boy with the same stock these H001T's have as it is much more comfy for sure..
    I gave the young man a jar of 22's that had accumulated, and almost a pound of black powder substitute with a bucket full of 50 cal bullets and said "shoot away" - he had a great time....

Markopolo, I have my eye Dr make me a set of distance only glasses that I shoot and hunt with - I am noticing the close sights are getting much harder to see though... Also a very dramatic drop off in twilight conditions - good news is I don't stay in a stand until pitch black anymore!