Thread: Cajun Red line

Default Cajun Red line

I'm getting ready to spool up my salmon rods with some new line and everywhere I look they are selling this Cajun Red monofilament. Has anyone used this stuff and what are your comments?

I haven't noticed it yet at the couple of stores I usually stop at....who makes it?? I'm usually willing to try something new....maybe spool up one reel and see how it does. Do you know who carries it in Anchorage?

Default Cajun Line

I've used it on my silver rods. Seems to be good line. Visibility is fairly good in decent light.

I don't use it or have not seen it used for kings, however, probably because it is not as easy to see as the bright green or yellow. On anchor or throwing spinners, line visibility is not as critical as back trolling...

It says that its made by Shakespere. I've noticed it a all the stores on the Kenai peninsula that I shop at. Here is the information from Cabelas:

Red is one of the first wavelengths to disappear under water, so this revolutionary line's blood-red color disappears within the first few feet of water, making it practically invisible for more strikes from the most line-shy fish. This innovative blood-red copolymer line is highly abrasion-resistant to give you confidence when fighting big fish, even after a day of fishing in brush. And it is low stretch for positive hook-setting power. But its color is what really sets it apart.

Think I'm going to give it a try on my trolling poles.

Default I say it good stuff

I don't respool my poles very often, but last year I got a deal on 17# test Cajun Red line. All seemed good, but little did I know how good. On a Kenai Special Lamiglas pole with a 6500 Garcia reel spolled with this line we caught and landed a 123# halibut from 120 feet of water. Took 1-1/2 hours, can't explain how we did it, still wonder how myself.
    Record on 17# is 212# halibut.
    I'd sure buy it again!

I have been using it for 3 years. So far i think it is a good line. It holds up real good in alaskan waters. The only thing i have noticed is that it has a lot of memory. If you keep it on one reel for the entire summer it gets really curly. This is only a minor thing and does not effect the fishing ability. I would say that the best use i have found for the line is flipping for reds on the Kenai. It seems to handle the abuse very well. I also have done very good in the northern streams for kings with it. Good luck with it and i hope that your line is tight.

Default Hey HomerAdam, U ever live in oregon??

You ever lived in Oregon, and sitika????
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

I'll second the observation that it has a lot of memory. I've got a spool of 30# and it's about as stiff and thick as most 40-50# mono I've used. Handles abrasion well, but just "feels stiff and uncooperative" to me.

It's also a lot harder for me to see the dark red against our dark green land and water. No big deal if I can't see MY line, but when you're running 6 lines as fast as you can to clean the krill and shake the jacks, seeing the line to grab it on the first pass was always important to me.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by HomerAdam View Post
    Red is one of the first wavelengths to disappear under water, so this revolutionary line's blood-red color disappears within the first few feet of water, making it practically invisible for more strikes from the most line-shy fish.
    Don't be fooled by silly claims!

For clarification, red is the first wavelength to be absorbed underwater. It doesn't "disappear"... it simply turns black.

That makes this line highly visible in daylight as it gives the line a hi-contrast silhouette that really stands out, especially when viewed by a fish from below against a bright sky.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I have switch to "P Line" and have had good results. Wal-Mart is starting to carry it.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Line

I am trying out 20 pound Tuf Stuff line this year. The comparison table I found showed it's breaking strength a lot higher than most of the other monofiloments. I will have to report back as to its quality.

I re-strung all my halibut rods last year with Tough Stuff. I am very impressed with it!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/