Thread: Some different sheep permit questions

Default Some different sheep permit questions

I have started doing research for what permits I am going to apply for and was going back looking at previous year success rates to compare different permit areas. This has made me curious about some things:

Have the permit numbers stayed the same for the same areas? For example has DS 160 always encompassed "Unit 13D, West, that portion west of a line along the west side of Tazlina Lake and the west bank of Mendeltna Creek"

Was DS 160 formerly part of another DS area or previously not a draw area? The records on Fish and Games site only go back to 08 for this area while other DS areas go back to 01.

Have the Legal animals changed over the years? Looking at DS131 the legal animal is a Full curl and in 2008 one of the animals recorded as harvested was female which makes me wonder any number of things can females reach full curl status, was DS131 once an any sheep area, was DS131 a different area that was an any sheep area, or did the hunter shoot a female by accident and thus it was recorded as harvested.

Well thats it for now I am sure I will have more questions in the weeks months almost a year to come. Thanks.

DS 160 and a number of other draw areas in units 14A and 13 first became draw-only in 2008. Prior to that they were open to hunting via a harvest ticket. You can likely find harvest statistics for those areas prior to 2008 by looking for information on harvest ticket (general season) hunts.

As for 131, I'm not sure when they made the change, but for years many of the 14C drawing permits were good for a full curl ram or a ewe. That may have still been the case in 2008, but I'm not certain. Ewes cannot reach full curl status, so that's not a viable explanation. It may have been an accidental harvest, but if a ewe was still a legal target in 2008, I'm sure that would explain it.

I'm sure nobody will believe this, but I have noticed many "anomalies" in the harvest statistics as well. My personal guess, having administered very large databases before, is that there are mistakes. There could be many sources for these errors, such as mistakes in reporting by hunters, data entry errors by some clerk at F&G, etc.

I shot a sheep a few years ago. It was sealed within minutes of getting out of the field. I reported it, in person (with a receipt) as soon as I got home about a day later. And then....a few months later I get a phone call from F&G asking if I could tell them a little more about the sheep that I shot. They wanted to know all of the horn measurements, full curl?, broomed?, etc. The lady told me they could see that it had been sealed, but they didn't have any of the other records.

I probably could have told her the longest horn was 50" and it was 1/2 curl...with 17" bases...

Usually what I do when researching this stuff is ignore the stuff that is way off the mark. Helps to get a better idea of what you might run into anyway.

My guess is that some of these errors might diminish as we get more into online reporting and probably better technology at F&G.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    I'm sure nobody will believe this, but I have noticed many "anomalies" in the harvest statistics as well. My personal guess, having administered very large databases before, is that there are mistakes. There could be many sources for these errors, such as mistakes in reporting by hunters, data entry errors by some clerk at F&G, etc.
    I have seen the exact same thing and attributed it to operator error inputting the data or hunters shooting sub legal or illegal animals.

The best odd ball harvest report I can recall was a dall sheep being shot at Summit Lake on the Richardson Hwy. It is possible that one came down there around the lake but highly unlikely!

When I researched the stats for the Chugach draws (a few years ago), I believe that the illegal kills were noted as such on the records. Don't know if that is the case still or not. Ignoring inconsistant data would seem to be as good an answer as any.