Thread: Opinion about FMA

Default Opinion about FMA

Just want to hear what people think, I have been calling and trying to get a moose to respond this time of year in the FMA, what type of calls have you used to bring moose in towards the end of the season.

The only time I've had luck calling moose in the FMA is after I've seen them, and used calls to keep them from running away. Seems to work on the young bulls and horny cows. Never have been able to call one in around these parts.

almost ditto Jerods comment...though we have talked to a few in years past they wouldnt come minus one little forky that stayed out quite a ways circling down wind.

Every person who can moose call calls to them whenever they are seen. Treat'm like whitetails!!!

not to change up the original thread, do a lot of ppl hunt FMA NOV 21-27? i've heard bulls will respond to calls that time of year is this true??? seems a little late. I got shut down the past two years due to weather... year before that I had 2 nice stalks but nothing in the freezer

The secret to getting bulls in close in the FMA is to get drawn for an antlerless tag. I can't tell you how many bulls i could have taken this year with my bow if i didn't have an antlerless tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    The secret to getting bulls in close in the FMA is to get drawn for an antlerless tag. I can't tell you how many bulls i could have taken this year with my bow if i didn't have an antlerless tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe that statement to be true I have my fair share of bulls walk right next to me and only can watch them. You should of called me when you went hunting.

This is what I seen the last 2 days of the season, the moose where standing in the same spot i was calling from night before and the grouse was 15 yards
    Attachment 64087Attachment 64088

pics didnt work so i take it you didnt connect

Here is a quick question for you fma Guys I drew the anlerless archery permit, it says sep.1-nov 27. Unlike the standard harvest permits that say sep1-30-nov 21-27. So am I correct in my thinking that I can shoot a moose in October?

Quote Originally Posted by akscotty View Post
    Here is a quick question for you fma Guys I drew the anlerless archery permit, it says sep.1-nov 27. Unlike the standard harvest permits that say sep1-30-nov 21-27. So am I correct in my thinking that I can shoot a moose in October?
    Yup, you are good to go through November 27th. Nice long season.

Good deal thanks jerod

"The secret to getting bulls in close in the FMA is to get drawn for an antlerless tag. I can't tell you how many bulls i could have taken this year with my bow if i didn't have an antlerless tag"

I'll double ditto this comment.... Last year I had the FMA antlerless tag and all I ever saw was bulls. If it hadn't been for the help of a really good guy on this site (thanks again Jerod). I'm sure I wouldn't have filled my tag. This year I didn't have the antlerless tag and all I've seen is cows. As a matter of fact I went bear hunting last Sunday and saw 8 cows in 13 hrs. I think I'm going to start hunting with people that don't have the same tag as me, that way one of us will get to sling a stick at a moose.

I will be in Fairbanks this weekend for my DM786 hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by akchase View Post
    Good luck PM me I seen cows all over

Quote Originally Posted by akchase View Post
    I will be around the house all weekend. I'll give you a call later today.

I have the same problem, they don't come to calling, even in late September. I thought it was me, but this year i hunted the S. Side of the Brooks range and called in two nice bulls right to the boat. Too much pressure in FMA to effectively call IMHO.

I am leaning towards to much pressure myself, I did call in a bull a few years ago off Goldstream spotted 5 cows and a small bull and i called and called the small bull didnt do anything for 3 hours he just stay at 50 yards. then at ddusk out of nowhere brush crashing and bull grunts 15 yards rubbing a tree no shot and darkness fell, never seen them again.