Thread: tracked side by sides

Default tracked side by sides

looking at a side by side with Tiger tracks on it. 2012 HDX 700 AC. don't know much about tracks but have heard some are better than others. has anyone had a set of these type of tracks?

also how much grunt do you loose with tracks on a side x side? is a 700 motor enough? thinking I could use it all year round with the tracks. Not much into the speed so Im not too concerned about that.

any info would be great thanks

jb

Do you have a link to the tracks your talking about?

Argo's run with tracks around their 8 wheels despite their little engines. Heck their near top of the line 750Hdi is rated at 31 hp. Haven't heard of anyone putting one (2012 HDX 700 AC or 750 HDi) on a dyno yet.

I run an 800 ranger with tracks....but i wouldn't recommend it if you're gettin really deep or far....I can do fine in 34ish deep snow, but when you get stuck you are really stuck. also blew both front CV joints driving in dirt and not snow...they are amazing in a 20ish in of snow and muskeg...depends where/what you want em for

Clutching is a big thing when you get into tracks on these side X sides. EPI has some good products and a quick call to them will get you set up. Another problem as previously mentioned is CV axels and also the front differential has a plastic cage in it that likes to break when to much pressure is applied. If you clutch it, upgrade to gorilla axles and get the upgrades metal cage for the front differential then you take care of most of your reliablitity issues.

thanks for the help everyone

A friend has a Ranger with tracks that I sent to him, the steering rack and pinion end just broke this week, If you have one check the tightness of the bolt that holds the end in place,

I drove and rode in a 2009 RZR with tracks, and it was AMAZING. The "Grunt" is a non issue. By tracking your side by side, the drive cog for the tracks is REALLY small. It reduces your top end speed to around 45 MPH, but there is plenty of "grunt" there to sling the mud!