Thread: Stories

Default Stories

The thread posted about bear defense beyond the handgun got me thinking. Im a sucker for a good outdoors story and am sure there are a bunch of you out there that has these stories. Who has had to shoot a bear for DLP reasons? Tell your story and what you did and, now that its over with, what you think or wished you would have done better. I have not been in that situation yet but have had a couple close calls. I know what I have been taught and trained to do but also have felt that amazing adrenaline rush when things start to go the wrong way. I know I have had a few "plans" in a couple different situations but thank god I havent had to check those plans, yet. Maybe we can all learn something from other's stories. I have had a few black bears test my resolve but luckily, they are usually pretty easy to deal with. I have had 1 brownie I had to deal with up close. Luckily he was still real young and decided he didnt want to tussle that day. So, let them rip!!

Wow, I guess some stories even guys on this forum won't tell on themselves. I know I wouldn't...... If I had one. Nice try though.

Quote Originally Posted by .300wby View Post
    Wow, I guess some stories even guys on this forum won't tell on themselves. I know I wouldn't...... If I had one. Nice try though.
    LOL I guess not. You would think I am a cop or something. Maybe there just isnt any stories though either...

In 2006, I was heading up to check a black bear bait North of Fairbanks. I stopped at the Hilltop Restuant for breakfast... had way to big an omelet, and about two hours later I had the urgent need to pull over and take care of business! I pulled over in a pullout on the Elliott Highway and started to head into the woods to "get out of sight of the road'. Just before I shut the truck door- it was like a voice told me to take my revolver. I just threw the holster over my shoulder- didn't strap it in/on, grabbed a roll of very important papers and booked down a narrow trail there. Was about a total of 100 yards off the road when I heard what sounded like a galloping horse... I stopped and thought to meself "who's running a horse out here?" sound got louder (yes, I am deaf in one ear, and can't hear that well out of the other) so I turns around and there be a very quick stepping grizzly bear just about ontop of me. So I pulls me handgun and fires two from the hip, (I practice a double tap). The first caught him just to the left of his breast bone and broke four ribs on his right side going out. This turned him so quickly, that my second shot went though his ribsfrom left to right... this shot pushed him away from me enough that I was able to get the revolver up and do an aimed shot to the front of his left shoulder (which exited out the back of his right hindquarter). This shot dropped him to the ground... I slowly reloaded the three fired cylinders of me handgun, and with the hammer back inched up the non-moving bear.. finally touching his eyeball with the barrel to confirm his surrender. That was when I became a firm convert to the 460 S & W handcannon.
    At that point --- the real need of the stop didn't seem so "pressing"-- so I went back up the trail and called my hunting partner- because I did NOT know if sow with cubs or what at that point. Got my excitement level down to a manageable level and went down and checked the carcuss for sex and or cubs. The bear turned out to be a male, (breath sigh of relief here)

The boar ended up being just over 7 1/2 feet square with a huge noggin.

Luckly, those days I purchased a griz tag as sort of an insurance policy --- just in case I got the chance to harvest one.
    Used it, took the hide to my taxidermist and dropped the meat off out at BY.

Made good Itailian sausage, but rest of sausage was ruined by the spice mixes used ( ended up donating the meat to the shelter)

And that's the tail of my first grizzly. By the way- Tim Mowry wrote the story up and was printed in the News mindless...

That July, my uncle in Colorado had an email story relayed to him about a 20 foot bear that tried to eat a feller who went into the woods to "answer nature's call". Bear had remains of at least three people in it's stomach. (Blah, blah)
    He asked me if this story was true... I told him "he must not have talked to his sister recently,.. But you asked the right person!" Then attached the article from the paper to an email and sent it to him.

Chris

Awesome story!! First time I have heard of someone eating a Grizz.

akgun&ammo, thanks for sharing that story with us. Sounds like things got interesting real quick but you remained calm under the pressure and did what had to be done. Glad you had that tag!