Thread: Food Storage during Bear Hunt on Kodiak.

Default Food Storage during Bear Hunt on Kodiak.

So for this bear hunt I am planning on eating at the Mountain house diner every meal. My question is what sort of precautions should I take for storing these dehydrated meals? Are they safe in a compression bag outside the tent (a decent distance from the tent)? I will be hiking in about 3 miles from where I'll be dropped off. At this point, I don't think I will be camping around any trees to hang these bags.

I am planning on dehydrating some homemade meals and putting them in zip locks or vacuum sealing as well.

Suggestions? All advice is appreciated! Thanks

You have a bear tag so just put them wherever you want and they will be safe from bears but you need to keep them close at hand or the foxes will run off with them. With that said I prefer leaving mine in my tent or vestibule, then I don't have to go out in the rain to get them.

Ya, Bronco's right, if you have a tag, you won't have bear problems, they tend to avoid those looking for them I haven;t had any issues yet with storing the sealed meal in tents, but once their opened they go in a bag outside and away from camp. Preferably eat outisde as well. The cleaner you keep camp the better off you are.

What have you guys done for storing fresh venison on a hunting/camping trip?

Quote Originally Posted by KLNhunter View Post
    What have you guys done for storing fresh venison on a hunting/camping trip?

Have had bears all around Mountain House type food and have never had any trouble from bears. If they won't eat it makes you wonder why we do?? But, anyway, fresh game meat is another story. They will keep coming every night,, bear fence, never had a breach. Add a cheap radio to keep voice sounds around when you are not. The bear fence is worth every dime. Do some checking and you will see that they are being used with success all over the state. They can even be rented.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default Food Storage during Bear Hunt on Kodiak.

My bowels had a hell of a time recouping after 14 days of Mt House and Hawk Vittles. I can't see even the best of scavengers coming back to a dehydrated snack.

LOL
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

i keep deer meat right next to camp, food in my tent and never had an issue on kodiak or anywhere else.
    only time i had a problem with bears and my meat was when i kept my meat out away from camp....its kinda like putting candy in front of a baby then leavin' the room....
    keep it close, they seem to know whats yours and whats fair game for them to play with.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I kept me deer meat close to the tent on Kodiak as well and didn't have any issues. We even had a couple of bears close to camp and one right next to the tent one morning but they ignored the temptations.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i keep deer meat right next to camp, food in my tent and never had an issue on kodiak or anywhere else.
    only time i had a problem with bears and my meat was when i kept my meat out away from camp....its kinda like putting candy in front of a baby then leavin' the room....
    keep it close, they seem to know whats yours and whats fair game for them to play with.
    I agree with BB... I have always hung my meat as close to camp as possible.. Never had a problem. Why in the world would you be trying to "force" Bears away from your camp, when you are hunting "BEARS"!!?? You must like packing more than I do. I cook in my tent, and all my food is in a cooler in the vestibule... If you're scared of bears in the night.. Wear earplugs. You won't hear a thing, and you'll sleep like a Baby.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    Why in the world would you be trying to "force" Bears away from your camp, when you are hunting "BEARS"!!??
    A lot of literature out there especially from back East tells people to hang their food in trees, such and such a distance from camp. There is a great little song out there by Brent Holmes called 'The Back Pack Tree". It is the favorite tree for all bears.

A backpack tree, a backpack tree
    I love it when I run into a backpack tree
    When I'm bouncing down the trail
    My favorite thing to see
    Are backpacks hanging in a backpack tree

Backpacks are my favorite food
    They put me in a wonderful mood
    It's never very hard to get 'em down
    I climb up the tree and I drop 'em to the ground

My favorite thing to see

When I see a tree full of backpack fruit
    I climb straight up the trunk
    And carefully knock all the backpacks down
    And watch 'em land with a thunk
    And then I shimmy back down the tree
    And eat all the backpack fruit
    Then I cover those backpacks up with dirt
    And hope that they take root

My favorite thing to see

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Hey, Daveinthebush, nice limerick. Didn't know that brown bears climb trees, though . . . . .
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 09-29-2012 at 06:47.

Nope never seen one up a tree. But the song just goes along with the hang the packs away form camp theme.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    I agree with BB... I have always hung my meat as close to camp as possible.. Never had a problem. Why in the world would you be trying to "force" Bears away from your camp, when you are hunting "BEARS"!!?? You must like packing more than I do. I cook in my tent, and all my food is in a cooler in the vestibule... If you're scared of bears in the night.. Wear earplugs. You won't hear a thing, and you'll sleep like a Baby.

Who said the precautions were for the bears? Have you seen the other hunters on this island? Nothing is safe!

I think camp placement is critical to consider as well. Try to locate an area that is out of the main movement areas, and bottlenecks. I try to do my best to be respectful of the normal travel corridors/ warn paths. It seems to work well as long as you keep it clean. Good Hunting.
    Pick A Spot

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    Hey, Daveinthebush, nice limerick. Didn't know that brown bears climb trees, though . . . . .
    Kodaik bears have learned to adapt if they really want your hanging venison. I can't say I've seen one climb a tree but I have seen them manage to get food out of trees & I have seen photos of them in trees just don't know how they got there.