Thread: Tactics

Default Tactics

Gentlemen,

The season is progressing nicely and there are several threads out there discussing decoy spreads, concealment, blind placement, types of watercraft, and the like. I thought it might be good to consolidate it all into one thread and get a discussion going on what type of waterfowling tactics folks are trying this year, both new stuff people are trying, and the tried and true old-school stuff. This can mean anything from trying new gear, boats, calling methods, attractants and decoys, high-water strategies, etc.

I have had success coping with the high water by constructing a blind that has adjustable panels made from pvc, burlap, avery grass, and natural materials. When I went to the blind after last week's monsoon and resulting flooding, I would have had to sit/crouch in a very uncomfortable position to remain concealed. However, my adjustable blind allowed for the added THREE feet of water and I was concealed while standing tall and comfortably scanning for birds. I initially made the blind adjustable to accomodate myself at 6'1'' tall, and my 9yo boy at 4' tall. Being able to compensate for the water fluctuation was just an added bonus. I've also had success putting swan decoys on a jerk string and using my mojo more sparingly. I have also made myself more versatile in that I have a dozen deeks on a texas rig and a mobile blind which allows me to pick up from my usual spot (if it's slow) and move to where the birds want to be.

Lets hear how others are scheming, plotting, and planning for the demise of our feathered friends.

dodger
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

Default Re: Tactics

Well i just went out where others were hunting at parked my butt under an old log and shot at ducks others were pushing around. That didn't work out too well but I did get a few. It was a last minute hunt and i didnt have time to set up my decoys as I just got back from a moose hunt. Others were getting plenty of shooting but I still enjoyed watching the birds fly and spending one more day in the field before having to go back to work. Next week home I am getting the deeks ready and getting set up earlier so it's me that's doing more shooting this time. Still got a lot to learn about duck hunting but I learn more each trip

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

My tactic is to not share my tactics with other guys, then they know my secrets!

The main thing I would say is to find out where the ducks want to be, and set up right there. Scouting is the most important thing you can do if you want to get into the birds.

Hide your face! It sticks out like a giant beacon.

Use your call sparingly, and utilize the whistles. Especially if you have a youngster in the blind with you. It is easy for them to call, and it makes them feel like they are helping call the birds in. I heard a guy out on the flats a couple weeks ago that was sitting there highballing over and over and over again. It wouldn't be so bad if he knew how to highball, but nope, he sounded like a dying giraffe!

Use decoys that nobody else is using. So if you see everybody around with 2 dozen mallards, throw a few teal or widgeon in with yours. It can make the birds see your spread as more realistic, and make them choose your spot vs theirs.

Spinning wing decoys are great, but when you notice the birds not coming in on them, switch over to a jerk string or confidence decoys. I am seeing a lot of guys carrying the mojos in at the cottonwood area. I am thinking the birds may be getting wise to them.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

slayer and I share the same tactic...I'm afraid if I spill it, all the spreads this weekend will be identical to what I do/use. My new tactic this year is having a good duck boat! A tactic I'd been working on for a few years now was to extend my range with shooting large shot, and long shells, and a slightly tighter choke. When those ducks don't cup and land, I still have a good chance at getting them passing that way. I've always been a firm believer in face paint, when I have flown over guys duck hunting and they look up, its very obvious they are in there. I have never pulled my mojo, It's an attention grabber for distant birds. maybe ill consider seeing if turning it off completely and see if it really makes them start landing in the spread if its slow.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

the only way you will get my tactics, is go with me..lol

Sorry..But I will offer them this way.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Guess maybe I shoulda waited till after the season to discuss tactics ... I'm just stoked on what has been working and looking forward to hunts to come. I enjoy learning something new every time I go into the marsh. Good luck this weekend guys.

Dodger
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

Na brother..your on track..good thread. I just think for many it depends on the situation they find themselves in. I for one..adjust my tactics daily depending on the weather, temp. birds, place hunted, boat or no boat, wind etc. Just so many options out there and different situations one can find themselves in. I guess you were looking for something simple.. I understand that..great idea..but so much changes in the last few mins of preperations of a hunt. So many duckhunters head to the marsh with two dozen decoys thinking they will just throw them out and its a done deal..it works sometimes..but to me, there is so much more involved with it. I have been doing this for years..guided in this businessa and in doing so had to adjust at a moments notice to the changes in wind, birds, temps, location, pressure etc. So many things to consider.

I guess we are talking about simple tactics that most can accomodate with on a daily basis. I am all about helping others and will provide any input I can to any degree. Ask away..there are many on here that have great knowledge in waterfowling.. can I learn from them? Hell yeah..am I open to suggestions? yep. Times are changing and every outing is different. I think it just becomes natural to me to adjust to the situation or condition I find myself in out there.

Like 375 said..the boat is the big difference I am looking forward to next year. I think this will open new opportunities for me and the areas I want to hunt. Will it change much..no, just the where I go and how much more comfortable and confident I am in being there.

Decoys..man..where do we start..J pattern..V..W..etc..mojo, long lines..texas rigs, jerk strings, motion decoys swiming around in the decoys..hell, I am in the process of making my own wavemaker device..lol Anything to make them turn to my spread. Tactics could go on forever and in understanding this they will alwasy change. I remember years ago when there was no body hunting ducks..point system and it was something no one wanted to do.. I was out there...early in age busting the feathers off of wood ducks in the sloughs of backwater Texas USA. Loved every min and if I didnt get one..it was cool..because it was the marsh and the colder temps that called me daily.

Geese, ducks etc..I am no expert..by any means..but consider myself very seasoned and knowledgble on the subject. Am I an expert caller..no..but I know what call to blow by learning to read the birds and what makes them tick while flying. I am not scared to get up and change a few decoys to make it better if I think it needs to be done..most sit there and hope the dumb birds land..well..they wont if your spread is jacked up. IT has to look natural and in nautural..I mean this changes from temps, wind, location etc..if this is a feeding area verses a loafing area..it all depends on the situation..is it a roost. Some might say..what the heck in a roost..lol

I welcome all questions and will take and introduce students to the wilderness and outdoors untill they spread my ashes across the marsh via shotgun across the marsh(in my will)..but to narrow it down to a specific tactic..man sorry..but so many. Maybe I am off the chart here..but thats where I stand. Some might disagree.

I will tell you this..after being on this forum for a few years now..there are alot of really good, diehard waterfowlers on here..more than ever before. I hope we can all get together next year and sit around and BS over this stuff. I will sponsor it..help coordinate it and run it if I have to...just to many good guys on here to not try and get together for a weekend of sharing the knowledge and experience we all share in this passion of waterfowling. Maybe we can set up a clinic or something..I am game.

DH01..and yes.. I just had some CPT Morgans..
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    the only way you will get my tactics, is go with me..lol

Sorry..But I will offer them this way.
    Take you up on that!
    My signature is awesome.

I will try the head biting tactic

I am adapting to hunting areas that seem to be neglected or just do not get much attention. It is working but you have to be mobile i am finding out and this makes understanding where to set up a little more difficult. the good thing is birds are coming in as they get pushed out from other places. Overall a good year just need to refine my own set up....dumping gear each trip to be lighter so I can adapt to change quicker.

One quick question for those hunting dogs. What do you do to ensure the dog can see but yet be hidden at the same time. Background is she is a young pup that does better with marks than blinds. Hence a full blind with her behind it presents a problem and the places I am hunting are small holes so the birds are right on us when they come in with not much warning so being concealed is a MUST. Also we are hunting out of a small boat in order to ensure she does not have to stand in the water for hours on in.... I have tried draping a burlap over her but that only last for a while as she slowly digs it off she is laying and remaining still just not sure if the birds that flared today saw me or her.

You can try a camoflage dog vest. They not only help keep the dog warm, but also help conceal them. I have never really had a problem with ducks flaring off my dog before. He was a white lab, they would even try to land on top of him while he was out retrieving. You can also try an avery dog stand. It's what I used for my dog. I set him off to the side so he could see, and we weren't shooting over him.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

very good point..hunted with yellows n blacks for a long time and with a camo vest and without...have very seldom even for a monent considered the birds will flare from a still dog. as ling as he has his head out or even his whole body sitting on the front of the boat..i dont think you will jave an issue with this. some think everything jas to be covered up and the dog should work off of commands only, it imperative for a young dog to b able to see and feel all the excitement by all.

uf
    Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    You can try a camoflage dog vest. They not only help keep the dog warm, but also help conceal them. I have never really had a problem with ducks flaring off my dog before. He was a white lab, they would even try to land on top of him while he was out retrieving. You can also try an avery dog stand. It's what I used for my dog. I set him off to the side so he could see, and we weren't shooting over him.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    she has an Avery vest and was very still guess I just wanted to blame the flaring on her probably me..... Ha. She was very good and still .... Only a little shiver now and then. The cold water is taking more getting use to. When we trained it was not as long as the hunts. Might add length to my training program so she is use to it. Thanks