Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Bears Eat Bait Stands????

Angry Do Bears Eat Bait Stands????

And put nails out to flatten ATV tires. Here is the situation. Me and two others went out and built two bair bait stands out in 20B, 1/2 mile to 3/4 mile off of the road. We did a good search of the area and found no sign or registrations of other hunters. We did notice an old trap line that had a sign that said "TRAP LINE - STAY OUT - THAT MEANS YOU!" and had two names at the bottom. No phone number. The trap line had not been used in a while as there was no break in the trail and the sign was weathered. We discussed on whether or not to consider this area due to the sign. Due to the amount of time spent looking, carrying, building, falling, etc. we decided to go on with the location and if the persons who wrote the sign showed up at anytime during the season and had a problem we could discuss it as grown ups. Long story short, we proceeded to go into the area and found a good baiting area. Set up a stand and bait station and left. The following day we went to ADFG and registered the stand in the hopes of knowing if anyone else had registered a stand nearby or whatever. ADFG said it was a good spot and that there should be no problems with the location. Until today. My hunting partner took his ATV and some bait and his 10 yr old son to the location of our stand, unloaded the truck, put the kid on the back and proceeded to enter the woods toward the stand. He gets to the location and thinks he is in the wrong spot because there is no stand and no barrel build-up that we started last trip. He scratched his head, checked the GPS, walked back to his ATV and noticed 3 flat tires. He knew he was in the right area, a mile from the road, with his son and 3 flat tires. We rode 3 ATV's all around that area for 13 hours last weekend and never had a flat. Coincidence, I dont think so. We are not out here to step on anyone's toes, we checked to make sure we were legal in all aspects of distance and area, we are willing to comprimise in a distpute over an area. We just want to be in the woods and share the experience with our friends and family. What is our next step? I would love to be able to shake it off as a loss but alot of time and money went into this and now we get to show our kids that life is just as cruel out here in the woods as it is on the city streets. What a shame. I use this site for alot of research and take heed in alot of the discussions and if someone says, cut the losses and find another area, I will. But boy do I want to find the person responsible and punch him in the throat. I dont want anger to get the best of me but it is hard and I will rise above it. Any comments on what I can/should do would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jim

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MooseFlyinGoggles View Post
    ....What is our next step?..
    A game cam maybe?

Booby traps of your own perhaps?

I would love to be able to shake it off as a loss but alot of time and money went into this and now we get to show our kids that life is just as cruel out here in the woods as it is on the city streets. What a shame. I use this site for alot of research and take heed in alot of the discussions and if someone says, cut the losses and find another area, I will. But boy do I want to find the person responsible and punch him in the throat.
    I would, too.

And I would, too. I'd catch the *******.

Hunting jerks is just as much fun as hunting bears.

But if you get caught up in any retaliatory stuff, you could feasibly end up losing your right to carry a gun or hunt at all, short of hunting through alternative means.

I'd be curious whether it's perceived by someone as private property or not, and what else might be going on there that might spawn such a protective (militant and combative) attitude that persons would become immediately so hostile. I mean, a bait stand kinda' guarantees that SOMEONE will be coming back.... increasing the odds of a conversation, or so one would think.

Animal rights persons?? Illegal activity of some sort?? Simple territoriality involving someone who's spent too many months without proper sunshine??

Be cautious, though. Aside from potentially making yourself legally vulnerable should a confrontation arise, you sometimes don't know who you're dealing with, or their capacities, until it goes down.

Where abouts is the station, again??

ruffle

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ruffle View Post
    But if you get caught up in any retaliatory stuff, you could feasibly end up losing your right to carry a gun or hunt at all, short of hunting through alternative means.....
    Obviously, one shouldn't shoot the vandals.

It would be good to catch them on film screwing with the hunt. That's against the law.

I'd be curious whether it's perceived by someone as private property or not, and what else might be going on there that might spawn such a protective (militant and combative) attitude that persons would become immediately so hostile.
    If it's a just a trapline, trapping season is over. If they're baiting bears as well, it should be registered, and ADFG can tell you if you're setting up on top of somebody else.

I mean, a bait stand kinda' guarantees that SOMEONE will be coming back.... increasing the odds of a conversation, or so one would think.
    Yup.

The civil thing to do would be to leave a note with a phone number so that problems could be discussed and worked out.

>>>Obviously, one shouldn't shoot the vandals.<<<

I was getting at the issue of any type of 4th degree assault charge potentially interfering in gun possession, and thus, hunting.

>>>If it's a just a trapline, trapping season is over.<<<

I know. I have friends who trap as part of their living, and live remote. But I've also seen folks develop both a sense of territoriality (even 'hyper-territoriality') in the woods, as well as folks who have experienced all the attributes of traditional cabin fever/stress, and wig out pretty notably over minor issues that rock their boat. Things that most persons would just take in stride.

That's why I'm wondering what's going on in that general vicinity. Whether it's just a matter of one of the two above possibilities, or someone SERIOUSLY opposed to baiting, or hiding something, or.... Seems like a fairly intense response if it's indeed public land that's in question.

ruffle

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ruffle View Post
    ....I have friends who trap as part of their living, and live remote. But I've also seen folks develop both a sense of territoriality (even 'hyper-territoriality') in the woods, as well as folks who have experienced all the attributes of traditional cabin fever/stress, and wig out pretty notably over minor issues that rock their boat. Things that most persons would just take in stride.
    Yup.

Especially when the trapper cut that trail specifically for his trapline.

That's why I'm wondering what's going on in that general vicinity. Whether it's just a matter of one of the two above possibilities, or someone SERIOUSLY opposed to baiting, or hiding something, or.... Seems like a fairly intense response if it's indeed public land that's in question.
    I agree.

It isn't likely anti-hunting people. I might be wrong, but I haven't heard of much vandalism from those types here in Alaska.

Most of such shenanigans have been from territorial attitudes. There has been a lot of that here in my experience.

And that's even more disgusting than anti-hunting types........

So do I call ADFG to make sure it was not registered? I feel I need to make a stand and hunt the area since so much time and effort was put into it. Its a big friggin state? I dont know. Maybe I need to sleep on it. If I find out it is a bear........boy, I'll tell ya what!!!!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MooseFlyinGoggles View Post
    So do I call ADFG to make sure it was not registered?
    I would. Let them know what happened.

I feel I need to make a stand and hunt the area since so much time and effort was put into it. Its a big friggin state?
    It is, but some folks don't know that.

If I find out it is a bear........boy, I'll tell ya what!!!!
    They can do more damage than human vandals.

I've had them eat my permit and warning signs right off of the trees I posted them on.

BE CAREFULL!! A couple of friends were hunting an area that we had hunted for years. It was all state land and there was an old plywood stand along a creek that had been there as long as anyone could remember. One of my friends climbed up in the stand and the other backtracked along the creek making a bit of noise to hopefully convince mr blackbear or moose to walk up the creek infront of the stand. While my friend sat in the stand rifle rested across his knees a man aproached and leveled his rifle at my friends chest and told him that he was in his stand. Trying to be diplomatic my friend offered him the stand and requested that he stop pointing the rifle at him. The man responded "how bout I blow you outta that stand". The stand off continued for several more minutes untill my friends hunting partnere a marine home on leave for hunting season pulled a sneak on the stranger. The guy didn't know he was there untill he felt the barrel against the back of his neck. He became much mor coaporative at this point. My friends took his rifle and stripped the bolt out of it, returned the rifle to him told him where he could find the bolt at the trail head and that if they saw him again they would consider his intentions hostile and defend take appropriate action. I tell you this story so you hopefully understand that no hunting spot is worth your life, you are right it is a big state and I caution you to stay away from the crazies and enjoy a lot of years of hunting.

I would report it to the troopers. Alaska has a hunter harassment law. Whoever it was STOLE your stand and barrel and apparently laid out nails. Go back and look for evidence. You said there were 2 names on the sign. Give those names to the troopers.
    The game cam idea sounds good. Do those things make enough noise to be detected when they take a pic?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    ....The game cam idea sounds good. Do those things make enough noise to be detected when they take a pic?
    I don't know. I've never used one or seen one used.

I can say this: my recent grand jury duty showed me that cameras work. Police use them more than ever, and so do stores and other private entities.

It's difficult for a scumbag to say "No, I didn't" when the jury is watching him do it on a TV.

>>>Do those things make enough noise to be detected when they take a pic?<<<

I don't know about all of them, but with most, I believe that if you're near enough to them, you can hear the shutter sound.

I think that checking back with ADF&G is an appropriate move.

If there is evidence recovered, such as relatively fresh nails, etc., or tracks around your stand that are definitely not yours or your partners', then taking that issue to another LEA as well would seem fitting.

I could share several stories about gun-play over game, going back all the way to when I was 13, in N.W. rural Pennsylvania, and a classmate of mine shot his very first buck deer. Two grown men leveled a rifle on him over HIS deer, following what sounded more like a fire-fight than well-placed shots by hunters.

LuJon is exactly right, and as I stated in my first post. You've got no idea WHO you're dealing with, other than for one helpful indicator; who ever they are, they appear to be fairly extreme. And -that alone- should tell you something.

ruffle

Take a loaded gun in there next time. Your stuff is getting vandalized, stolen, and your four-wheelers are getting damaged. Defend your property. The ******** don't own that property.
    Last edited by fullkurl; 04-22-2007 at 17:42. Reason: language

Got to agree with martentrapper on this one get those names off the sign and turn them in and find out what their problem is!

Default Its all over the place.

Its like a guy can't win sometimes. Last year I had a note nailed to my bear stand that accused me of being "unethical" because I had my bear stand one mile from another guy's.
    It was outrageous, he got his bear weeks before I got mine, but he continued to gripe bout my presence--I found this out from a mutual aquaintance. I didn't give him the time of day.
    There were plenty of bears for all. He was a whiner, but not really unkind.
    People just don't want anything to ever change to make things harder or more difficult for themselves. Well, newsflash, things do change! And violence and sabotage have no place in the woods.

Its funny I hunted a stand down near Talkeetna last year that had stands all around it. About every 250 yards was a bear stand. And nightly you could hear bears being shot all around.

I could be wrong but I don't think a trapper would go to all the trouble for a bear baiter. What are the chances of a trapper running his line right now? Why would he have a problem with you baiting on his line? Unless he planned on baiting the same spot..... or it could be someone who's baited the area in the past! What if it was some stinking ANTI's.....

This situation would get under my skin too. I can't stand it when people mess with my stuff! Call the Trooper's, that's what I would do. You are in the right... get a game cam like everybody else said, stay in the area and be careful! I hope you get the biggest black bear in Alaska this year!

Good Luck!

- Clint

I'd suggest not being a wuss and actually hunting for black bears do you really need the meat
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I'd suggest not being a wuss and actually hunting for black bears do you really need the meat

Do you have even an ounce of common sense or class?

Best of luck Moose, hope you resolve the problem and bag a nice memory....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Hey in my circles we make fun of baiters notice the winky... Jeeze you guys take things too seriously.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

AK Monkey ,,you need to be tooken out and shooken up a bit,,Who are you to call someone a wuss...Just because you dont hunt or bait bears,,you friggin turkey..Wise up,,or someone will wise you up.You hate being called names ,well dont you boy..O yeah,,,IF only you were in power then things would be better...Remember his "Power Posts"..LOL...I hope everyone takes note of this monkeys post's.Sometimes your free speech is your downfall .

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast