Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun boot on a snowmachine?

Default Gun boot on a snowmachine?

I was just wondering if any on on here uses a gun boot on their snowmachines. I have a little AC 440 Prowler that I was thinking about trying to put a gun boot on for some small game hunting this winter. If I have to I can just put a sling on the gun and throw it over my shoulder but It would be nice to keep the gun in a boot protected from the snow and ice. If any one has done this if you dont mind posting some pictures or links I would be thankfull

Yep, I put mine on as pictured below. It doesn't get in the way really when riding and still handy to get to the rifle, yet out of the way enough to ride.

Maybe not the purdiest but it works for me.

Yours is still less redneck than mine!! I used toilet mounting bolts slid into the Polaris accessories tunnel tracks to bolt on two pieces of 3" abs pipe. I strap my kolpin tactical boot to the pieces of pipe then bungie a pack or dry bag on top of that... Super redneck especially for a $12k sled!!

What year is your machine? Rack? Backrest? With the right stuff laying around you can make most anything work for you. If you have a rack it may be easier. I was unable to find the older Kolpin gun boots we've been using for years so I took the Kolpin gun boot IV mounts (#20032) and modified them to work. If you have a backrest you can take some short raft straps and tie a gun boot on. Been doing that to one machine for a few years now.

2 are better than 1

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    What year is your machine? Rack? Backrest? With the right stuff laying around you can make most anything work for you. If you have a rack it may be easier. I was unable to find the older Kolpin gun boots we've been using for years so I took the Kolpin gun boot IV mounts (#20032) and modified them to work. If you have a backrest you can take some short raft straps and tie a gun boot on. Been doing that to one machine for a few years now.

2 are better than 1

Its a 93 ( I think ) Prowler with a 121 with no back rest, it does how ever have a hitch on the back so I may pick up a pull behind sled later. Its not the best machine to use for hunting but my step brother picked up a new machine and my step dad wanted it out of the yard so my step brother told me I could have it so who was I to turn it down lol. It looks like at one point it did have a rack on it on the back as the holes are still there from where it had been mounted. If I could find a rack to put back on it I would love to, but im not sure how easy it would be to find one thats not to expensive.

This is not my sled, but it looks pretty much identical (not quite as clean looking lol) to this one.

94prowler001.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

FYI... that is a good machine. It's pretty easy to long track it up to a 136". Racks are a dime a dozen for those old Cat tunnels. You don't need something that is year/model specific like you do with modern sleds. By the way you talk, I take it you're not into building stuff, but a guy with a welder (or even a torch and rod setup) can put together a rack for that machine with about $40 worth of steel and a couple hours of labor. In the process, a gun boot mount could be integrated anywhere you wanted.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Actually I do have a welder though I am not the best welder lol. I was actually thinking about building one as I didnt think it would be to easy to find a rack for the prowler. I dont have any scrap but I need to pickup a spool of wire (MIG welder) any way so I might just look and see if I cant get some small square tubing and just build one from scratch. The more I think about it the more I think it might be best just to build one so I could make it to fit my exact needs.

As for the sled, it sat for years and years not being used and after all that time still fired right up with some pretty old gas and runs great to boot. I can just imagine how well it will run with some fresh gas in the tank lol.

You say it would be easy to long track it, would I have to use the 136 out of another prowler or woudl other models close to that year work on it? I would imagine it would have to be the same width but as far as that any thing else I would have to watch for?

PS: Also I forgot to mention which engine and all, it has the L/C 440 in it.

Fresh gas and ISO heat (red bottle) will both be a good idea. Water in the gas is super common when a sled has been sitting and it will run fine till it freezes in the lines.

The Prowler series is one of my favorite old Cat chassis. They make a great boondocking machine, but need the 136" track to do it. Any 15" width cat track will fit under this sled. You can longtrack it by putting rail extensions on the rear of the existing skid frame, extending the tunnel, and simply rolling in the longer track. I did this to a 1990 Prowler and built everything needed for it myself. I machined out the extension plates, but when you figure in the time needed (and access to a milling machine), you're better off just buying them. I will say that I went for bulletproof, so the plates I built are probably 10 times stronger than commercial versions and they ran without a hitch for years. I don't really use that machine anymore, but those plates are still on there. As to the tunnel, I built a tunnel extension from some 0.080" aluminum and doubled the size of the cooler in the process.

Here's a good discussion on the longtracking methods... http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/pinn...121-136-a.html

Aside from changing the gas, you need to change plugs and probably replace the belt. Check out the 4 mounting points for the rear suspension as they are prone to failure. Also inspect the framing of the shock towers and crossbar in the engine compartment. If the previous owner jumped the machine a lot, these areas may show stress or damage. If you find stress on the front suspension, you'll also need to closely check out the entire rear skidframe. Check out the oil and fuel pumps. I'd highly recommend just jumping in there and rebuilding the carbs right now. If nothing else, take them down and clean them out. Check the floats and inlet valves closely.

At any rate, building a rack for that sled is a great project for a "new" welder. Go get yourself some tubing and have at it. Steel is easy. If you mess something up, just cut it off and redo that part. Tack, adjust, tack, adjust and don't finish weld until it looks right. Then spread out your welding so you don't overheat any one joint. On a square tube, tack all 4 corners and both ends. Then weld one side of one joint, go weld one side of another, and then another, working your way around the box. Remember that the steel will shrink towards the heated area as it cools. Sometimes you need to weld opposite sides of a joint back to back to make sure the shrinkage on one side doesn't pull the other side apart. Triangles are your friend. If you're building a square, try to design some triangles into it and it will be a bulletproof square.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thanks for the info JOAT and LuJon, Tomarrow I will go out and take a closer look at some of those points on the sled and make sure they dont look like they have been stressed to much. I was actually planning on my next pay day to get 5 or so gallons of fresh gas and then remove and replace the old gas with that while also adding a bottle of the red ISO Heat to the tank then let it run for a few mins to cycle all the fuel. Been years since I rebuilt or cleaned a carb lol (about ooo, 7 or 8 years ) and that was on a Yamaha Exciter II. Are the carbs on this Arctic Cat going to be much differnet or are they pretty simple and strait up?

As for the rack, thanks for the suggestion on triangles. When payday comes round I will most likely pickup the wire,tubing, gas and ISO all at the same time.

I dont think I will mess with the track this year, most likely just leave it as it is. If any thing I may just save up or use next years dividend to get another sled with a 136. Then again, who knows if I can get a donor sled for real cheep with all of the parts I may just give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Yep, I put mine on as pictured below. It doesn't get in the way really when riding and still handy to get to the rifle, yet out of the way enough to ride.

Maybe not the purdiest but it works for me.

Luke do you have a picture of how you attached that gun boot to the back of the tunnel? I see you used the hose clamp on the front but can't see the back.

I've used this same Kolpin gun mount on 3 different snogos and 2 different wheelers. All you need is a flat spot to mount it with a few bolts or use some u-bolts to mount to a wheeler rack. The blue strap you see is to take some wobble out of the boot on rought trails. Best to secure the barrel section of the gun boot to the machine as well to reduce banging the ol gun around - like the fella that used the hose clamp. I'd also suggest putting a few extra pieces of foam inside the case to reduce banging your gun around. Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My gun boot jambs perfectly into the passenger handles on my two up seat for my Bearcat. Tested to 70mph
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Well, I checked all the points you said JOAT and every thing looked pretty solid still except one weld. On the 5th or 6th I am hoping to get into town and pickup the wire for the welder and the square tubing for the rack, so I guess I will practice on some scrap and once I feel comfortable I will seal up that crack so it doesnt continue so spread and break completely then start on the rack.

Jpoast, I was just looking at that same mount online yesterday and was thinking I might be able to make that work with the rack im planning on building in a week or so. The foam sounds like a good idea, chances are most of the time it will be my .22lr which is small compared to my other rifles.

Any chance you can post a picture of the crack you found? Should be able to give you a "long distance consult" on the best way to fix it.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Luke do you have a picture of how you attached that gun boot to the back of the tunnel? I see you used the hose clamp on the front but can't see the back.
    Don't have any "up close" on hand right now and won't for a quite a while yet, but when I do get back I'll try to remember and get ya a pic or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Don't have any "up close" on hand right now and won't for a quite a while yet, but when I do get back I'll try to remember and get ya a pic or two.
    Thanks, I had something in mind similar to your but wanted to see how you attached yours to the tunnel in case it is a better idea than mine. Got plenty of time so no rush.

IMG_2824.jpgIMG_2827.jpg
    Not sure how they will show up but here is how I attached a gun boot of my Bearcat.

AK Bearcat- Did you make that rack or is it one from Arctic Cat. Looks just like what I need. I have the same machine as you.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Any chance you can post a picture of the crack you found? Should be able to give you a "long distance consult" on the best way to fix it.
    Ya, let me find my camera and I will get a picture of it and upload it in just a little bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast