Thread: Skilak Lake to Upper Killey Open to Boating

Default Skilak Lake to Upper Killey Open to Boating

Way to cater to the guides! after all they are the only ones that matter. Rafters have no takeout at kiley. Why not drift only past kiley?
    I guess all the money I spent on boat launches dosn't add up enough to have a say. Where does that money go anyway? it sure dosn't go to cleaning up trash or old mono off the banks. thats left up to the locals that give a crap.
    Sorry for the rant, felt like it had to be said.

are guides running from the lake down to the kiley in power boats and then back up to the lake?

GOOD news for the Brown Bear hunters next week.

Had a discussion w/ Jack Blackwell (AK Parks, KRSMA) on Friday. Along with ADFG, fish and wildlife, AK Parks surveyed the river and came to conclusion that opening that section was justifiable since " it has many of the same characteristics as Skilak Lake".
    He indicated the closure decision was based on three criteria 1) Public safety ( citing navigation hazards) 2) Protect habitat 3) Reduce property damage (citing Kenai Keys and boat wakes).

Well now the levels are either @ action stage or about to be, so based on the hydrographs - not flooding anymore!
    Call up Mr. Blackwell and the parks people and have the river reopened. 262-5581 or 398-0765.

Would have been a beautiful weekend to be on the river
    Last edited by lineburns; 10-01-2012 at 08:59. Reason: errors

Quote Originally Posted by IFISHAK View Post
    Way to cater to the guides! after all they are the only ones that matter. Rafters have no takeout at kiley. Why not drift only past kiley?
    I guess all the money I spent on boat launches dosn't add up enough to have a say. Where does that money go anyway? it sure dosn't go to cleaning up trash or old mono off the banks. thats left up to the locals that give a crap.
    Sorry for the rant, felt like it had to be said.
    Not just the guides. We're here on a long planned vacation and have a powerboat. Without the re-opening of this section of the river our trip would have been a bust. I was wondering why the river wasn't at least open to drift boats since they wouldn't make any wake and would not cause any problems. That was until we saw a 40' tree drifting down the river get sucked underwater and come shooting back up into the air a short while later! That would have been a killer!

Now that the debris has washed out and the river level has dropped a good foot-and-a-half or better they should at least reopen the remainder to drifting, no reason not to. Realistically they should re-open completely as the water looks to be lower now than it was when I arrived in August of 09' and they didn't close it then...

So Keys hows the fishing?

Fishing has been better than expected, I'm so thankful that they open what they did, it has saved our trip to say the least!

Any one know when they plan on opening the rest of the river?

Upper is open now. Jims is still closed. So you would have to do the lake to sportsmans. Rumor has it that Sportsmans will open friday.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

what about bings, dots or places below skilak?

Bings is closed. I have not checked any further down river yet. I will check the moose later today.

The entire Kenai River will reopen to all boating traffic Wednesday, October 3. Jimís Landing located at approximately river mile 69 of the Upper Kenai River will remain closed to boat access until Thursday, October 4 to repair flood damage.

Please contact the Department of Natural Resources Department of Parks Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation at (907) 262-5581 or the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge at (907) 262-7021.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

That's some great news!

There are non guides with jets as well that run that portion (including meand many other locals), no reason to dump the guides. You can get a river runner as well, nothing says you have to drift. Im glad the river opens completely tomorrow as ill be putting in at bings, fishing should be decent from what i hear
    NRA life Member JVJ

I may make run down there and fish the lower skilak to upper kiley section. Is this section safe to run a prop back up to skilak? i am a novice to this section of the river.

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonSlut View Post
    I may make run down there and fish the lower skilak to upper kiley section. Is this section safe to run a prop back up to skilak? i am a novice to this section of the river.
    The entire river is open now to so keep that in mind. That part of the river is fairly easy. Jus be aware there is two big rocks at the mouth of the river. So head towards the middle of the lake and then down the middle of the river. And it will open up to a huge area that is very shallow. You can stop at the top and float and fish it and observe othersa running that part to get a feel for the channel. Plus the fishing usually isn't to bad around there.

90% of the boats so you all run props. I run from bings all the way to the lake and back with a prop.

thanks for the info. i was thinking of doing the exact same thing you are doing but i wanted to play it safe and not end up with busted prop.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_logan View Post
    The entire river is open now to so keep that in mind. That part of the river is fairly easy. Jus be aware there is two big rocks at the mouth of the river. So head towards the middle of the lake and then down the middle of the river. And it will open up to a huge area that is very shallow. You can stop at the top and float and fish it and observe othersa running that part to get a feel for the channel. Plus the fishing usually isn't to bad around there.

90% of the boats so you all run props. I run from bings all the way to the lake and back with a prop.

not to mention the water is high so it is a little more forgiving. I have a prop and was just down there friday, you shouldn't touch the bottom unless you choose too.