Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear charging brought out browning A bolt problem

Default Bear charging brought out browning A bolt problem

Well needless to say was putting a stock on a moose through the alders and all of a sudden brown bear charges through the alders. In the heat of the moment i pull up my browning A bolt 338 win(round in chamber with saftey on) and low and behold i try to push the saftey off and it doesnt move. Luckily it was a false charge but i revealed that there is a major issue with this rifle. I later found out that the reason why my saftey would not move was due to the fact that the bolt was moved up by litteraly 1/8th of an inch. Was wondering if this is normal with this piticular model? Do all brownings do this?

Quote Originally Posted by joebut1985 View Post
    Well needless to say was putting a stock on a moose through the alders and all of a sudden brown bear charges through the alders. In the heat of the moment i pull up my browning A bolt 338 win(round in chamber with saftey on) and low and behold i try to push the saftey off and it doesnt move. Luckily it was a false charge but i revealed that there is a major issue with this rifle. I later found out that the reason why my saftey would not move was due to the fact that the bolt was moved up by litteraly 1/8th of an inch. Was wondering if this is normal with this piticular model? Do all brownings do this?
    I can of course only speak for myself but I had the same issue on a 375h&H stainless stalker... the gun was sold soon after discovery..

Yes, I have also had this problem, with both my varmint rifles in .223 and 22-250, luckily the varmints have never been attacking me.

If the safety had went to off the trigger should not pull anyway with the bolt out of battery.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    If the safety had went to off the trigger should not pull anyway with the bolt out of battery.
    understanable but when tried with the same amount of bolt movement of other brands of rifle i was still able to disengage the saftey. the bolt movent on the browning is so minute that when the saftey is already off i am still able to fire the weapon. It is only when the saftey has been aplied and the you try to take it off when the bolt has been moved up slightly and by slightly i mean really nothing at all is when you have the issue.

NOPE ! Either your action has been bedded and it's off center or your rifle's bolt has been taken apart and not screwed back together the proper amount of threads ! I've owned and used (and used and used) over a dozen ABolts and this isn't a design flaw, the only action flaw I ever discovered is that, sue the the enclosed inletting and the narrow channel for the safety actuator "wire", moisture can freeze the safety stuck and if it is cocked n locked it can stop you "dead" (no pun intended) Take your rifle to an authorized Browning repair facility (WILDALASKA in Anchorage) and get it fixed - ABolts may not be on par with a Model 70 or '98 but they will take a lickin' and keep on tickin' if you treat them properly

GOOD LUCK with that ! I'm afraid once I got back to civilization this gun would have a new owner. I don't go afield to mistreat my equipment but expect it to function even if I do.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

They are called A-borts with good reason.

I believe that's too much drama....

I'd have left it at the bottom of the nearest river, the one I used to wash out my shorts...yikes.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

get yourself a Remington 700 then ........

The model 70 style safety the best one can get in my opinion. But I usually don't walk around with a rd in the chamber I figure I can load it fast than fumbling around with a safety instead of freaking out pissing my pants...

The A-Bolt carries good with a round in chamber with safety off and bolt decocked.Short bolt lift and down and your ready to go.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    The A-Bolt carries good with a round in chamber with safety off and bolt decocked.Short bolt lift and down and your ready to go.
    But it's dangerous.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Bear charging brought out browning A bolt problem

No browning don't move...... One of the most reliable production rifles out.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I sat here for an hour last evening "playing" with the 3 ABolts I have left and I'll be darned if I could get any of them to replicate what is being described as a "flaw" (but then, mine are put together correctly) I'll take any ABolts off of "your" hands anytime you want to be rid of them .....

Smitty - ROGER THAT !! 323 - I totally agree with you on the model 70 safety though - The Browning ABolt is not a perfect design but it beats a model 700 Remington

OK, I'll ask the real important question - DID YOU STILL MANAGE TO GET THE MOOSE????
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

So glad it was a false charge, thank God it was. Yeah, did you get the Moose?
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Unfortuantly no moose, the sound of the bear roaring and my hunting partner and i yelling at it scared the moose away. Ill have to say i used to use a rem 700 but wanted to try a A bolt, not to happy with the switch, its replacement is going to be a Kimber hopefully that one will perform better. I heard that one is basically built off of a model 70 action.

I read this yesterday and went to the range and checked my A-Bolts; I have 3. Not one of them have this problem. I don't know why it happened to you but I am very glad no one was injured.

Yeah i have checked my rifle multiple times and i can get it to do it all the time, i will have a browning dealer look at it, but needless to say it will not be going into the field anymore, maybe to the range on a good day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast