Thread: Tatlanika River via the Ferry Trail

Default Tatlanika River via the Ferry Trail

I posted earlier about crossing the Delta River but thought I'd see what kind of ordeal I can get myslef into by trying to take the Ferry Trail into the Tatlanika ... not sure if it's even possible. Looking on satellite images/topo maps, it apears the trial extends maybe a mile past an airfield just beyond the Totatlanika. Is the Rex Trail the only way in that far?

Might depend on your equipment as I thought the Ferry Trail has a bridge that is very narrow. Plus, it seems that there are the vehicle restrictions in the Wood River CUA.

If you're looking for freezer meat and have the resources for those hunts ... I would think you'd have a better chance of taking a few black bears at this time.

Ferry trail may be a lot different now. They went into Eva Creek to build a wind farm this summer. So they had to build a road to get the trucks in.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    Ferry trail may be a lot different now. They went into Eva Creek to build a wind farm this summer. So they had to build a road to get the trucks in.
    Sorry as this thread appears to have spun off from a different thread. In the apparent context of both threads - Once one hits the Totat ... it looks to be a good "hike" to reach the Tat (and RM 764 hunting area). Actually, I don't see how you could legally access (or drive within) areas 4A or 4B with a vehicle other than by plane.

With last week's rains ... I would assume it would be a unadvisable nasty adventure to do river crossings into those areas right now. Perhaps wait a few weeks as other storms blow through and the waters recede thereafter.

The Wood River CUA restrictions end on Sept. 30. The Totat is the western boundary for RM764 hunt this year. The Delta R. is the eastern boundary. So a person may be able to drive an ATV in to the hunt area legally...................but practically may be another thing. Crossing the Totat may be risky.
    Once the country is frozen good, the Rex trail may be the better approach, but it will be a 40 or so mile drive to where the hunt area boundary is. The north boundary for the hunt area is APPROXIMATELY an east west line running thru gold king creek.
    If the Delta R. recedes one may get into the hunt area that way.
    Has F&G announced the 764 hunt? I know they are going to but not sure the permit is out yet??
    The season closes Nov. 30 so may not be much hunting time by the time things are froze good.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    The Wood River CUA restrictions end on Sept. 30.
    Awesome. Thanks for pointing that out.

The RM764 News Release came out on Sept 12. An unlimited number of permits were available beginning on Sept 19 and the hunt opens on Oct 1. The harvest goal for 20A is 225 antlerless moose. Yep, the description of the zone boundaries is accurate ... but I think the northern boundary is a line running eat/west several miles south of the Rex after crossing the Tatlanika. It sounds like the conditions/timing would have to be nearly perfect (frozen, but no snow) to get into zones 4B - 6B on an untracked wheeler. Looks like I need to come up with another plan.

Thanks to all of you that have provided input ... I appreciate it.