Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta River Crossing

Default Delta River Crossing

I'm interested on the current conditions of the Delta River. RM764 opens next week was interested in accessing one of the zones by 4-wheeler. From reading previous posts, it appears that zones 4b - 6b are very difficult to access and weather dependent ... primarily a winter hunt via sled once the rivers/creeks freeze over. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

River is high right now. I would not suggest attempting an ATV crossing until it drops significantly.

Zones 4b-6b are fairly difficult to access at any time.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thanks for the information. I was originally optimistic about putting meat in the freezer this year but the weather in Southcentral put a damper on that. I had luck calling in multiple bulls between the major wind storms, but they were all 'tweeners. I saw this permit and figured I could fall back on it ... but then I read the posts describing the difficulty of this hunt. I don't have a sled, but I guess the best I can hope for is an early freeze with just a little snow to get into 4b or 6b by wheeler. I hate to think my freezer won't have any meat in it this year ... I feel very fortunate that this hasn't been the case for the last 5 years. Again, thanks for the info on the Delta.

Without owning a snowmachine or having one you can borrow and a good sled to pull behind it your best bet is to keep watching the water in the Delta river and go into 6B on your wheeler. You are going to want to do that hunt before it snows if at all possible since there is a bit of a hill from what I understand and it gets slick with snow!

What about coming in from the other direction on the Ferry Trail to the Tatlanika, assuming it goes that far? From what I've read in the older posts, the Rex Trail crosses the Tat to the Gold King airstrip but requires a great deal of patience, persistance, time, gear, fuel, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Without owning a snowmachine or having one you can borrow and a good sled to pull behind it your best bet is to keep watching the water in the Delta river and go into 6B on your wheeler. You are going to want to do that hunt before it snows if at all possible since there is a bit of a hill from what I understand and it gets slick with snow!
    A LOT OF HILL for sure! If it snows, atv's are out of the question. Just waiting for the water to drop to help a friend with his tag over there.

The hill referred to is a natural drainage that during freeze/thaw cycles gets a nice thick coat of ice on the bottom.

That's what stopped me last year...got 2/3 of the way up and that's as far as I was going on the wheeler. Also confounding was the fact the wind had scoured the river bottom clean so riding a snowmachine the 3 miles to the base of the hill was out of the question too!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I just spent four day at Donnally Dome watching it flood with people stranded on the other side since the 14th. I would not even recommend going down there until ther river level goes down do about 3.5 on the river hydrograph. I am going back down for the DM hunt as well but I am going to waite about two weeks looking at teh weather forcasts.

Anyone cross at Donnally campground yet? Or is the water still to high

I was there today and the water seems pretty high still. A friend is crossing over the weekend...in a raft.

How'd your buddy do?

Has the river dropped enough to get across with a wheeler? I was wondering if the colder temps improved the water level.

Buddy made it fine- he saw a group with wheelers yesterday. They were getting some equipment to retrieve a couple dead wheelers. Two guys went in the drink but made it out- they had on life jackets which was pretty smart. Lost some equipment but otherwise fine.

River is still pretty high.

I guess its too high. I'm glad they made it home safely:

Text: On 10-13-2012 at 1719 hours, Charles M. Courtwright, 59 of Anchorage,
    requested AST assistance in rescuing his son, Charles D. Courtwright, 30 of
    Anchorage, because his son had capsized his ATV in the Delta River by Darling
    Creek, and was soaking wet. Charles M. Courtwright was also stranded on
    the opposite side of the main channel of the Delta River and could not
    reach his son to assist him. AST responded and was able to assist Charles
    D. Courtwright after he had walked over one mile back to the highway.
    He appeared to be suffering from mild hypothermia, but was otherwise uninjured.
    Delta EMS responded to the scene and transported Charles D. Courtwright
    to Family Medical Center for treatment. A private citizen from Delta
    responded to the scene at the request of AST with a specially modified Dodge
    pickup for the purpose of rescuing Charles M. Courtwright and his hunting
    partner. After several hours, and during the hours of darkness, the
    volunteer and an assistant were able to retrieve Charles M. Courtwright and
    his hunting partner and provide them with transportation back to the Richa
    rdson Highway.

Another near miss. Those cow moose aren't worth it.

Text: On 10/14/2012 at approximately1845 hours, Alaska State Troopers were
    contacted by Michael Oloughlin, age 42, of Wasilla. He stated Gary Root,
    age 43, of Wasilla, two juveniles, and he had been hunting on the west sid
    e of the Delta River near the Donnelly Creek State camp ground and while tr
    ying to cross back across the severely braided river, had gotten his truck
    stuck in the river. Oloughlin and his party were un-injured and proper
    ly equipped to camp where they were at for the night. On 10/15/2012 at a
    pproximately 0730 hours, AST HELO 1 launched from Anchorage, recovered the
    stranded hunters and flew them back to Wasilla.

Sorry to say this, but some people are just fricking stupid. They should be charged for the helo flight. Sorry but that is just DUMB!

It is amazing that with the number of people up there trying to get across the river they didn't ask any of them for help but instead called the Troopers to get them out of the jam they were in?!

Wasn't that a stock truck?

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Sorry to say this, but some people are just fricking stupid.
    <sigh> Yes, and next they'll be lobbying for a bridge and a road into there...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    <sigh> Yes, and next they'll be lobbying for a bridge and a road into there...
    I think they already did that?

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Wasn't that a stock truck?
    Oh you mean the stock Ford super duty that shouldn't have been out there in the first place? Luckily we came across the salvage guys headed over to it and had to winch them out. Bad deal all around If you're not prepared for running rivers you shouldn't be out there. Just real glad no one was hurt or worse last weekend. Some very close calls.

I cannot believe somebody would try and drive into that. I saw the reports from the troopers and was glad no life threatening injuries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast