Thread: Which bullet for 7mm mag on SE black bear?

Default Which bullet for 7mm mag on SE black bear?

I am trying to decide on 160 Part.or 175 Fussions by Federal.

160 Part!!!!

160 Part...

160 gr. NP.....proven track record. My son took his griz with same. Even so there is no substitute for placement.

I've used, and three friends have used the 7mm rem mag and the 160 partition bullet. All but one were one shot harvests. Excellent performance.
    I've also used the Hornaday 154 grain spire point with the same results.

Default hornady

+ 1 for the 154 gr Hornady. (I have no report of this on bear, but has worked well on elk, and seems to shoot well in most rifles I've tried from 7tcu up to 7mag)

However, I'd consider how each of these shoot in your rifle - sounds like they would all work reasonably well: If one were clearly more accurate than the other then it would become my choice.

Just my 2c.

Nate

(Heading to Eagle River from Portland in May 07!)

Default Fusions expand too quickly

I would strongly suggest NOT using the fusions. I have shot 7 deer with them and had few exits (I bought one box and will never buy another). They tend to expand rapidly and the penetration is poor. Black bears would not be the animal I would want rapid expansion. Even Federal warns they are for thin skinned deer and similar sized animals.

Default 160 All The Way

I hunt exclusively with a 7mag and have used my Federal 160 NP's on moose and black bear. South DakotaHunter makes a good point about the expansion but I think that there are a few other factors to consider about penetration and exit... if you DON'T want an exit wound but maximum damage internally then it makes a good arguement for a lesser load and expanding tip, but if you do want to maximize your single shot then you're thinking like a muzzle-loader and you need to put away your 7mag and do something more like a .338: on my box of 160NP is reads: "BIG GAME - Designed for maximum effectiveness on bigger animals with thick skin, heavy muscle tissue and bone such as elk, moose and brown bear." It's a safe bet but like mentioned earlier; NOTHING BEATS PLACEMENT! This is all merely my jaded opinion and is in no way a representation of how anyone else feels so please, take it easy on me and my opinion if you disagree.

Happy Hunting!