Thread: tw 200 use in alaska

Default tw 200 use in alaska

What do you think about using a tw200 with racks for hunting? How will it do in the bush? The tw200 is a dual use Yamaha.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...e/10/home.aspx

it would definitely beat walking 20 miles into moose camp...

your not going to get much weight on the racks, and it would be hard to stabilize that weight when it started shifting on uneven ground. You have to remember your taking gas, gear, meat, rifle, etc. You have a lot of weight involved when making extended hunting trips in AK. If you were on a flat well-maintained trails, it would get the job done with multiple....let me repeat....multiple trips. You would be better served with a quad IMO....

However, if you were going to be hunting with driving distance of your house or cabin everyday....then it may have it's uses...

You still couldn't sell me on one though...
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

I agree. I know a guy that has an older one of these bikes and he pretty much keeps to the better trails. It won't hardly go where my quad will go, or pack the weight. JMO

Default Tw 200

It sure is a tough little bike, however up here in AK it would'nt do quite as well. Just for trail riding it would be a blast but for hunting it would still be better then walking but not as good practical as an atv.

Default Tw 200

Thats what our 2 -Tw 200 are used for hunting....They are the only why to go !
    Reason
    1)We leave the Atv in camp,as they are very loud .

2)Every time we come to a water hole in a cutline we find there is a foot on one side of to drive on .
    Any AtV that follows me usualy has to go in the hole and get stuck or just get very muddy.

3)Easy to get 2 of them in a truck.
    More room in a trailer.

4) When ever we are coasting down a hill ,(and it does't have to be much of a slop) ,the engines are shut off and we coast in stealth mood.
    (This will not work on our ATV)
    We have doubled our stightings and kills,because of this coasting.

If you are going to hunt on one ,be sure you have a ATV in camp to haul it back.
    For added safty and traction add a tire chain .
    The TW was also used my a team to go to the north pole back in the 90's

Last edited by Homewreaker; 04-22-2007 at 19:25. Reason: For got to add second picture

I tried using a Rokon in the 1970's for hunting. Like other posters stated, it was a good neat ride untill I had to carry any weight on it. Even with a backpack on it became to top heavy to ride in rutted out trails.
    Tennessee

Default Tw200

I have used a BW200 (TW200 cousin) for hunting in Alaska, Utah, and Idaho. While they are great machines for going on narrow trails and such, they are not the best for packing anything over 50lbs!! In Idaho I used mine several times to drag (not pack) a deer out of the sage brush and they are great for cruising cow trails in the mountains, but with the trails in Alaska make sure you bring a pair of chest waiders when you come up to a mud hole because that is one thing that BW200/TW200's don't do well. Cross mud and water will add a "new" experiance to 2 wheel riding. Personally I'd get a 4 wheeler, unless (in quote) you plan on hunting in a relativly "dry" part of Alaska with no "water crossings" or "mud holes"... but I haven't seen that yet!!

Manny

Current toys
    2002 Suzuki King Quad 300 "the real King!"
    2000 Honda XR650L
    1987 Yamaha Big wheel
    1970 Jeep CJ5

Where we have been hunting, the noise of the forwheeler, from what I've seen, has helped in a some cases. All of us have probably hiked within a few yards of animals and havent seen them. I know of at least a dozen times where we've sparked the curiosity of a couple bull moose or a caribou or two that have laid horizontal not too long after. All in all, if your are hunting in AK, get a wheeler. Besides, if you are doing ANY sort of alder crashing or water crossing, this isn't the rig for you.