Thread: Hiring a pilot

Default Hiring a pilot

I'm planing a hunting trip and I wanted to hire a plane to drop us (3 guys) off & pick us up at the hunt site, I have not finalized the hunt location yet but I do know we will fly into fairbanks & most likely hunt in the eastern half of 20B, 20D or somewhere in 20E. I have a few questions I was hoping you guys can answer so I can start coming up with a budget

-If a transporter flys 1 hour to drop us off will I pay for 1 hour or 2?
    -How fast do you guys typically fly
    -What would the weight limit on a plane that could handle 3 hunters & a pilot?

Thanks
    Charlie

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by Cmizo View Post
    I'm planing a hunting trip and I wanted to hire a plane to drop us (3 guys) off & pick us up at the hunt site, I have not finalized the hunt location yet but I do know we will fly into fairbanks & most likely hunt in the eastern half of 20B, 20D or somewhere in 20E. I have a few questions I was hoping you guys can answer so I can start coming up with a budget

-If a transporter flys 1 hour to drop us off will I pay for 1 hour or 2?
    -How fast do you guys typically fly
    -What would the weight limit on a plane that could handle 3 hunters & a pilot?

Thanks
    Charlie
    Hi Charlie,

Expect to pay for "air time." That means a round trip to get you there and another to get you back. If a one-way trip takes one hour, your cost will be for two hours. Remember that, if you get any game, you will be on the hook for hide, horns and meat transport, too. Each of those loads will be another round trip charge.

Figure on approximately a 100-mile per hour airplane, as an average. A Beaver will do 90 - 100 mph, while Cessna 185s or 206s will knock off around 120. The Beaver carries a pretty large load (estimate the weight of seven or eight guys in the plane), while the Cessna 185s and 206s don't carry all that much. They are considered six-place airplanes, but your gear will take a great chunk out of that.

For three hunters and the pilot, a 4-place Cessna 180 will do it, but you'll probably have enough gear to require a second round trip just to get you where you're going. Best bet is a Beaver, with a Cessna 206 on floats coming in next, I believe. The big loading door on the C-206 (about 4' x 4') is a real blessing, which places it above the C-185 in my book. The C-185 and C-206 are considered six-place rides, but still can't compare to the Beaver for load-carrying.

Best of luck,

Mort

Thanks for your help!!!