Thread: Broadhead cutting diameter for (griz) bears?

Default Broadhead cutting diameter for (griz) bears?

I recently shot my first bear with a bow. The first shot was quartering away slightly, it hit a little far back going in and hit lung on the way out, after a short distance with no blood trail to follow I was able to put another arrow in him this time through both lungs. He ran off again with no blood trail. I was able to watch him the whole time and I did recover him and upon skinning him found tons of fat, so I guess my question is has anyone else had problems with no blood trail on a fall bear? Should I use bigger broadheads? I'm using the g5 montec 100 gr heads (1 1/8 diameter hole I believe). Any thoughts or suggestions?

I have Monotecs and Magnus Stinger SS 125 grains. I don't think it is a broadhead issue. With the fat and fur on a fall bear, that stuff just seals up the hole. Was there a lot of blood inside the bear? If so, I would not blame the broadhead. You just need to shoot skinnier bears.

I have seen arrows that have exited the guts of deer. That stuff can seal up an exit wound too.

Congratulations on your first bear and keep hunting. At least you care enough to question your methods. Makings of a good ethical hunter.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I've mounted 160 Snuffers on the front end of 700+ grain arrows for Kodiak this year hoping to get good blood trail but if not, I'll a least know there's a lot of bleeding going on inside. An Arkansas tri-stone gets them scary sharp too.

Bigger is not better. Accuracy is better. Two lungs is a MUST.

Good job following up.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Bigger is not better. Accuracy is better. Two lungs is a MUST.

Good job following up.

Agree totally double lungs

I've killed 2 grizzly's (1 fat fall and 1 fat spring) and 1 brown bear using slick trick 125 grain 4 blade that have a 1&1/4" cutting diameter I believe. All three bears died within 30-100 yards on a single shot. I lost a grizzly using muzzy 125 grain due to a bad angle on the shot. I rushed the shot thinking the bear would charge and put it into his chest at 25 feet. I might have gotten one lung, but I think the arrow deflected off the rib and went into the shoulder never entering the vitals. The bear was standing on his hind two legs with his front legs slightly outside of his chest.

Bears die quick with the right shot, fall or spring. Placement is key. A one lunger will almost certainly require a follow up shot.

Would you ever consider using a expandable broad head? This is the first year that they have removed the restrictions on expandable's.

Yes, I'd use expandable's on Grizzly's, but I think I'll stick to the slick tricks. If I were chasing Kodiak brown bears, I would only use the highest quality mechanicals though. They make some fairly cheap ones still.

I am considering using 125gr. rage 2 blade. I just used one on my goat hunt and was very pleased. I was using a 2 blade 125gr. magnus stinger. My final arrow weight is 526gr @ 70 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by stickslinger View Post
    I am considering using 125gr. rage 2 blade. I just used one on my goat hunt and was very pleased. I was using a 2 blade 125gr. magnus stinger. My final arrow weight is 526gr @ 70 lbs.
    I think I would stick with the Stingers. They were being tested by a fellow in Fairbanks using actual animals. I do not believe, someone correct me if I am wrong, but most expendables are designed for what most people hunt. Whitetails. I do not believe that they are tested under the same conditions that a manufacture would test if they were designing a broad-head for dangerous game.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

The only reason I would consider mechanical on any animal is not being able to tune your bow. As everyone on this site has said you do not get the penetration you get with fix blade. Also look at the failures you have with mechanical. No matter what fit blade is used they are going to cut "x" amount of hole. There are to many IF's that mec's have to answer for. Why change from a stinger that you have confidence in and has proven itself to a head you have to ask someone else if it works.

I was planning on using a fixed bladed broad head for bear. I was just so impressed with what the 2 blade rage did on my goat. I have never seen a blood trail that big before, it had to be at least 2 feet wide from where the arrow hit him until he stopped falling. I don't think I will use another broad head on anything besides brown bear.