Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What 270 Bullet for Upcomming Hunt

Default What 270 Bullet for Upcomming Hunt

So I have this hunt coming up and I need your highly knowledgeable opinions on what bullets and possibly even what loads to use for my rifle. I will be hunting White Sheep, Kodiak Bear, Bou, and Wolverine all on one hunt. Shooting distances are anywhere from 25 yards to 600 yards(I am a good shooter). My rifle right now is a Remington Mod 700 BDL in .270 Win, with a 26 inch tube, KDF muzzle break, see through mounts, and a Tasco 4x12 scope. Now I have used this rifle for the past 15 years and am real comfortable with it and it has never let me down but man Alaska thatís something else! I have shot a passle of white tails with it, a bunch of them in the 170-180 class and never had any problems with the 130gr Ballistic tips I have been using. Do you think those will work for the game I am after in Alaska? If not what do you recommend? Also my rifle is blued and has a wood stock, do I need to get a synthetic stock and some sort of coating or should I just get another rifle all together in stainless with a synthetic stock? Also my guide mentioned something about not liking people with muzzle breaks, should I mention to him that my rifle has one, I really have a soft shoulder and canít handle the recoil!

Thank you in advance for all of your suggestions and opinons.

Kodiak with a 270 should be interesting. I would look at a larger gun for the bear. Partition or a TSX bullet would be my choice.

I would not use a .270 on the "hunt of a life time" either.

It is interesting that the guide is offering sheep, caribou, brown bear in one hunt.
    Are you hunting Kodiak for some species and then traveling somewhere else to hunt?
    Have you already completed the draw hunts and won the tags if needed?

These are valid questions since you are probably not that familuar with our hunting areas up here or our regulations.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I'm kinda surprised the guide objected to the muzzle break and not the caliber for brown bear. The guides I know would strongly discourage it.

I would be surprised that a kodiak guide would allow a 270 for bear. I would really guess that a 30-06 would be the min. Maybe Jake ( BRWNBR ) can offer some advice. What did your guide say about it? I would prefer a .308 at the min but a .338 myself and I might suggest a more reliable scope as well.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Woody, you're really describing a pretty wide ranging hunt. The logistics of such a thing are pretty daunting, but not so much that I would think two rifles are really out of the question.

Your .270 is likely just fine for caribou and sheep (arguably ideal), totally over the top for a wolverine, and (IMHO) completely inadequate for brown bears. Your 130 Ballistic Tips are whitetail deer bullets and the caribou is going to be larger- I'd suggest a tougher constructed bullet in the 270 for everything- AB, PT, TSX, TBBC, A-frame- all the usual controlled expansion suspects.

For bigger bears you really need to look at .338s and on up. I agree with BrownBear that the outfitter balked at the muzzle brake and not the .270 cartridge is surprising.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

My personal opinion, based upon a lot of big bear hunting, would be that you should set your .270 aside and look for something closer to a .338, .375 or something close. Your deer aren't wearing much for hair, nor are they so fat usually. They don't have big bones, and they are quite tenacious of life. You'll possibly be looking at taking a 1,000-lb animal that doesn't want to be taken. I'm surpised that your bear guide hasn't vetoed the .270. You may be a great shot, but that rifle isn't throwing a very big rock. Again, that's only my opinion, but it's based on thirty-five years of guiding for the big bears.

I would guess you are hunting at least two areas and its 14 day hunt? The game you have listed do not live all in the same area although may in the same game management unit. If you are going to hunt "Kodiak" bear then you must be on Kodiak for part of the hunt or do you mean brown bear? To my kowledge there are no dall sheep on Kodiak. Regardless, shooting a brown bear whether on Kodiak or not with a 130 grain ballistic tip from a 270 in not something I would voluntarily do. A 1,000 pound bear is not going to go down easily. The guide must have a heck of a back up caliber (.375 H&H?) and intends to use it. I would use a 150 grain more robust bullet for the sheep and caribou. It is also interesting that the guide is offering wolverine because it is rare to see them duening the hunt and even harder to actually get a shot. In 13 years I have seen three and couldn['t get a shot on any of them. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. The rifle itself is fine, take care of it and keep it dry, wipe it down every night. Make sure that Tasco is "all-weaher" because the weather has been extremely wet adn windy the last month with no real end in sight and there is nothing worse than a fogged scope.

If you're confident in your setup it'll do the job. The scope, like other's said, make sure it's waterproof/fog proof. As for the rifle, while on the small side, put the tuffest biggest bullet you can in it, get as close as you can and double lung him (inside 75yds, preferably 25). If you go for the shoulders with that gun you're going to piss him off, and he can go a loooonnngggg ways on 3 legs, but if you double lung him, well, he ain't living with no lungs, period. I've watched guys up here on Kodiak take one with a 243, no way would I, it was an ear shot, but he did it. I would step up to a 30/06 or 300WM though for the Kodiak side.

No, there are no sheep on Kodiak unfortunatly

I think that someone from their "new home" in Texas is having a little fun with the forum...
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I think that someone from their "new home" in Texas is having a little fun with the forum...
    It's too obvious isn't it?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Honestly, how many big bears fell to the 30/06 and smaller before you had the 338WM, 375, 416's were created as the minimum. How many have fallen and still fall to a long or recuve bow? Bears are hard to stop, but just like anything, hit them where you need to hit them and they die. Nothing lives without a heart or lungs, period. That 270 will do more damage than an arrow, but you have to hit him where he needs hit. With that gun you need to do some great hunting, then great shooting. Don't prove you can shoot 600yds on a brown bear, prove you can hunt within 50yds. Am I saying that everyone should carry that gun, no, just like not everyone should try to do it with a bow.

Abel think the point that others are trying to make is this: If you are going to spend thousands of dollars on a hunt that you may only do once in a lifetime, why skimp on equipment.

Showing up for an Alaskan hunt with marginal equipment is just not worth it. Yes maybe the .270 can do it at 75 yards. What if the only shot he is offered the whole trip is at 125 yards? Was it worth it bringing a .270? Is it worth bringing Walmart work boots to an Alaskan hunt or Tasco binoculars to hunt sheep?

Yes spending more on equiment takes money. But spending thousands of dollars and relying on marginal equipment is just not worth the trip.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I can go with that Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I'm a wondering if you're not right about that....
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

You have been PUNKED!

Quote Originally Posted by WOODY82 View Post
    So I have this hunt coming up and I need your highly knowledgeable opinions on what bullets and possibly even what loads to use for my rifle. I will be hunting White Sheep, Kodiak Bear, Bou, and Wolverine all on one hunt. Shooting distances are anywhere from 25 yards to 600 yards(I am a good shooter). My rifle right now is a Remington Mod 700 BDL in .270 Win, with a 26 inch tube, KDF muzzle break, see through mounts, and a Tasco 4x12 scope. Now I have used this rifle for the past 15 years and am real comfortable with it and it has never let me down but man Alaska thatís something else! I have shot a passle of white tails with it, a bunch of them in the 170-180 class and never had any problems with the 130gr Ballistic tips I have been using. Do you think those will work for the game I am after in Alaska? If not what do you recommend? Also my rifle is blued and has a wood stock, do I need to get a synthetic stock and some sort of coating or should I just get another rifle all together in stainless with a synthetic stock? Also my guide mentioned something about not liking people with muzzle breaks, should I mention to him that my rifle has one, I really have a soft shoulder and canít handle the recoil!

Thank you in advance for all of your suggestions and opinons.
    You should use a 22 short mag.. won't need a muzzle break and the recoil will be light on yer shoulder. a good shot placed in the left or right eyeball should do the job nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by t-storm View Post
    You should use a 22 short mag.. won't need a muzzle break and the recoil will be light on yer shoulder. a good shot placed in the left or right eyeball should do the job nicely.
    But the trick is you have to use an old Colt Woodsman with no front sight!

I don't know guys, this post seems to be right in line with a large number of post on this very forum. Some new guy going on a hunt wanting to shoot everything that is in season instead of concentrating on one species and a guide willing to take his money and tell him there is an opportunity to get them all on one hunt.

WOODY82 who is your guide if you don't mind saying? Your wood stocked and blued rifle will be just fine in Alaska if you take care of it every night after hunting. Dry it off and oil it up and I am sure there will be no issues. Then again it is a Mod 700 and they have a faulty safety that lets it discharge rounds whenever it wants to and a poorly designed trigger mechanism that can be susceptible to rain or snow freezing it up.
    What animals have you shot before?

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    But the trick is you have to use an old Colt Woodsman with no front sight!

I don't know guys, this post seems to be right in line with a large number of post on this very forum. Some new guy going on a hunt wanting to shoot everything that is in season instead of concentrating on one species and a guide willing to take his money and tell him there is an opportunity to get them all on one hunt.

WOODY82 who is your guide if you don't mind saying? Your wood stocked and blued rifle will be just fine in Alaska if you take care of it every night after hunting. Dry it off and oil it up and I am sure there will be no issues. Then again it is a Mod 700 and they have a faulty safety that lets it discharge rounds whenever it wants to and a poorly designed trigger mechanism that can be susceptible to rain or snow freezing it up.
    What animals have you shot before?
    You sound pretty bitter... We get it you are the symbol of the Alaska hunter.. You are so wise can we call you sensei

On a serious note I wouldn't take advice from half the clowns on this forum... I have a bud who shoots his moose out of his front yard every year he lives in Wasilla you think I'm going to take moose hunting advice from him??? No but I will go sit on his front porch. Where is it written you have to spend 5 grand on clothes to hunt ak? I posed a question one time about kinetic enegery and the wise ones on this forum said it don't matter. Well since it don't matter a 270 with a 150 partition will kill just as fast as a 250 partition a marginal shot with anything is marginal shot. Some OF YOU need to think before write...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast