Thread: Merc 115 inline six cyn

Default Merc 115 inline six cyn

I recently purchase a 16' hewescraft with a 115hp merc inline six cyn. The owner said it's ehighly reccommended to run avaition fuel or use a ocytane booster. I got a good price on the boat so I figure I can run the motor for a year or so. i want input on this motor and any suggestions on how to make this motor last.

Dont run straight av gas, it will very likely cause your engine to start hard, especially when cold. Something to do with vapor pressure.

I have the same engine and it runs fine on regular unleaded 87 octane. If the engine has been modified for performance reasons, you might need more octane, did the owner say anything about having rebuilt the engine? If he had a wreck and the head needed milled to repair some damage, the compression ratio could be higher than stock, therefore needing more octane to prevent detonation.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

I know the old mercs loved to suck reed valves which will sieze an engine. A quick check is to pull the cover off the engine and squeeze the primer bulb until its firm, if gas squirts out of the carbs then chances are the reed valves are bad.

While you still can, get a rope and attach it to the power head and throw it overboard and use it as an anchor!!!!

Those old merc, if you catch any air at all and overspeed it, like above check for reed valve damage. The older Mercs are real bad about sucking reed valves

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Merc and Force the same?

Does the older "Force" outboards (125 hp) have the same problems as the merc's?

The "Force" brand is nothing more than a chrysler outboard. Sometime in the 80's chrysler became force and gamefisher (sears outboards). The only thing worse than a Merc back then was a chrysler outboard.
    Also those old inline six Mercs arent even a good anchor they are so tall the current will catch them and they roll along the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by LastSplash View Post
    Also those old inline six Mercs arent even a good anchor they are so tall the current will catch them and they roll along the bottom.

Oh am I rolling now! Never thought of that!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/